about com.google.android.email behavior w/ hotmail

Guest techno.kat

Guest techno.kat

Hi everybody, in normal circumstances i would have presented myself in the according thread but i'm kind of in a rush, a company in canada that i won't name is pretending to offer INFINITE email services if you take a certain package, but in fact following their own configuration procedure you'll get a scenario like this, making them richer to the INFINITE, they stole from me and a lot of client, they are doing active marketing using false information, and they prevent their procedure to be changed in a way that client wont pay for such a strange software behavior.

first i've noticed that com.google.android.email is acting king of strange when configured on HOTMAIL using POP3s in comparison w/ a standard POP3.

using RADIOOPT on android to monitor traffic and tested and confirmed on both 3G and WiFi, on a nexus rooted and on a moto XT720 stock.

once configured using default setting (check every 15min)

instead of downloading a differential index as w/ POP3 it re-download an integral index generating about 2MB/hours

i've investigated even more using man-in-the-middle traffic sniffing over wifi collecting even stranger action from the application

a certain fork within EMAIL seem to loop in certain occasion, 300Mb in 3 hours without touching anything. got the CAPTURE files that i'll rapidshare soon enough. moving the DB on the SD on the rooted nexus solve those anomalies

so i'm calling to you Ninja's of the keyboard to confirm such 2MB / hours using default setting on hotmail, so that such a proof can be made.

MoDaCo i've seen your work, your certainly very busy but still if there's one confirmation i wish, it's certainly yours,

complete test take 1:00:37 according you can config it within 37 sec :D

In Tux we Trust,

Long Live the Pinguin

Edited by techno.kat

Guest techno.kat

for those that might want more info about the punctual weird loop causing massive download, i've found documentation of

Issue 9307: Email Application Partial Wake Lock

kind of a good track, post #5 detailing how to start debug mode on the application to mention only this one.

most of it about exchange still look a lot like it

i've speak of a fork of EMAIL in the preceding post but since there is never a low space warning visible while in loop and moving the DB to a convenient SD free space solve it, i would think more of a failing PIPE in the code in some low resources situation either because of physical limitation on the phone (ie:FLASH size) or limitation due to usage (BIG FLASH not so full of apps).

anyway i'll continue to document it here, while people care to join the ride

Edited by techno.kat