What next after the Pulse - HTC?

Guest ringer

Guest ringer

My Pulse has served me well for over a year now on PAYG. With my current usage though am considering a contract and a new phone. Want something with a bit more memory than the Pulse, and a decent camera, definitely want to stick with Android OS though. Any recommendations on what phone to go for - an HTC model perhaps? And suggestions for network/package? Want to spend £15-£20/month with lots of free minutes and web access. Not too bothered about texts.

Guest david_dawkins
My Pulse has served me well for over a year now on PAYG. With my current usage though am considering a contract and a new phone. Want something with a bit more memory than the Pulse, and a decent camera, definitely want to stick with Android OS though. Any recommendations on what phone to go for - an HTC model perhaps? And suggestions for network/package? Want to spend £15-£20/month with lots of free minutes and web access. Not too bothered about texts.

Motorola Defy. Clear the Blur crap off it and it's a nice handset with decent performance.

Guest Sh4d0w940

The Desire Z might not be perfect for you as you say you don't text very much, (could just be because of whatsapp etc.) but I'm very happy with it.

It's very fast (I didn't even overclock it), has official cm7 and the keyboard is very useful.

I don't know any network or package since I'm not in England :D Only thing I can say is you should have (unlimited) internet.

Sh4d0w940

Guest hunk74

HTC make excellent handsets and are well known for their frequent updates.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S and it's very good too after applying a patch.

Had to do a manual update as the installation that was preinstalled on the phone was a buggy mess. After the patch teh Froyo was very delicieux!

Guest SoundSurfer

I've bought a used HTC HD2 from eBay for ~250€... supports WM 6.5, WP7 and Android (for now)... I'm very pleased with my choice.

Edited by SoundSurfer

Guest Casterina

HTC Wildfire + HTC Desire are pretty good phones.. I'd recommend you get yourself a HTC phone.. because they get updated regularly :D

Guest todoleo

I have had an HTC Desire for a while and recently got an Orange San Francisco/ZTE Blade. My Pulse is now being used/looked after by a friend.

The Pulse was a great phone but both the Blade and the Desire are fully supported in CyanogenMod 7, while the Pulse is falling to the wayside as newer ROMs are concerned.

My advice would be to go for an HTC phone, or even the new SE Arc. I've been playing with the Arc at work and it is a lovely bit of hardware.

Enjoy shopping around for your new phone!

Guest de_shepherd

Think for the future you need to ensure that the processor supports the ARMv7 architecture - i.e. need a Cortex A8/A9 or a snapdragon. Things like flash and the new android firefox are making this a requirement so if you stick to a v6 architecture processor as is in pulse and sanfran then you may find you are excluded from an increasing amount of software in the future.

I think I'm continuing with my pulse for a bit longer but am keeping my eye out for how prices for desire and defy are dropping. Not sure what the price mark I'm waiting for is but its probably when prices drop below £200 - not too far away now as desire is available at £230 for PAYG upgrade.

Guest jeddy1
Check out ZTE Skate :):O:O Its better than the Blade, and its getting released in May :)

well yeah skate would be nice.4 inch phone.not bad

Guest de_shepherd
with a 800mhz processor.. :) and the price is pretty reasonable as well!

yes, but its ARMv6 (so is probably an ARM11 core) so won't run flash and possibly a fair amount of future software. Also, 800MHz ARM11 is not the same performance as an 800MHz A8/A9/Snapdragon.

So if its a replacement for Blade and comes in at the same price point (i.e. ~£100) then it may be a good deal if you're prepared to live with some potential software limitations. However if it starts to push up to £200 then spending another £30-50 (and prices may have dropped further by then) on something like a desire may be a better bet.

Guest Casterina
yes, but its ARMv6 (so is probably an ARM11 core) so won't run flash and possibly a fair amount of future software. Also, 800MHz ARM11 is not the same performance as an 800MHz A8/A9/Snapdragon.

So if its a replacement for Blade and comes in at the same price point (i.e. ~£100) then it may be a good deal if you're prepared to live with some potential software limitations. However if it starts to push up to £200 then spending another £30-50 (and prices may have dropped further by then) on something like a desire may be a better bet.

Yeah, but to resolve the flash player issue.. you could download skyfire browser :)

Guest jeddy1
Yeah, but to resolve the flash player issue.. you could download skyfire browser :)

yes and what with that ? just smth try to play a facebook game on ur skyfire browser....

Guest Casterina
skyfire is just a lame duck browser. I brought a Desire for 144€ over eBay. Screen needs to be fixed but after that... O.O

Woahh you got the desire for cheappp!! :)

Guest Christo0908

Phones4U are doing the HTC Desire for 250 quid, I bought one yesterday as an upgrade for my blade, still use it but not much. You get a T-mobile SIM with 20 quid on it if you don't like that use giffgaff! :)

Guest eckengucker1

Cuz the touchscreen element is broken. Therefor I've to disassemble the hole phone. Sound like funny hours with my best friends the screwdrivers :)

Guest de_shepherd
Phones4U are doing the HTC Desire for 250 quid, I bought one yesterday as an upgrade for my blade, still use it but not much. You get a T-mobile SIM with 20 quid on it if you don't like that use giffgaff! :)

Thought if you'd already got a qualifying PAYG SIM (I think 6 months or older which has been topped up) then you could do a PAYG upgrade for £229 with no need of a new SIM.

I'm tempted by this but think that prices may drop a bit more ... I think sun £200 is the price point where it becomes a definite buy for me