I have one on preorder...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Buzing Bee

Asus will probably do a deal where u get the keyboard for whatever the difference is between with KB and non KB models for early buyers ,,,, when it would normally would be £20 more

Guest redmongoose
If there was a guarantee about getting the keyboard at a price very close (max £60) to the bundled price then I would buy the tablet by itself now, but without that certainty on price (& future availability) I am going to wait. But hey, at least there are going to be some left in the shops to have a look at over the next few weeks as most people seem to want the keyboard.

I have just ordered 2 from comet with Quidco & 5% off (5OFF) to be delivered on Sat on the basis that Asus will provide a keyboard shortly at a discounted price as per their facebook page ....... http://www.facebook.com/asusuk

ASUS UK Hi, yes - no dock bundles until 18th but we will issue an update as soon as we know the exact delivery date of the shipment. Sincere apologies to everyone, this isn't quite what we had planned. Good news is that UK is getting the first shipments globally because we are HQ's launch partner - it's just taking a little extra time to get everything delivered and cleared through customs etc. We're also going to offer customers a keyboard dock upgrade for the first customers that bought the pad on its own. Details TBC soon.

Edited by redmongoose

Guest Matchstick
I have just ordered 2 from comet with Quidco & 5% off (5OFF) to be delivered on Sat on the basis that Asus will provide a keyboard shortly at a discounted price as per their facebook page ....... http://www.facebook.com/asusuk

ASUS UK Hi, yes - no dock bundles until 18th but we will issue an update as soon as we know the exact delivery date of the shipment. Sincere apologies to everyone, this isn't quite what we had planned. Good news is that UK is getting the first shipments globally because we are HQ's launch partner - it's just taking a little extra time to get everything delivered and cleared through customs etc. We're also going to offer customers a keyboard dock upgrade for the first customers that bought the pad on its own. Details TBC soon.

That's good enough for me so I've ordered one as well.

(pity we didn't spot this before the 2pm next day delivery cut-off :D )

Oh and the guy on bit-tech with who's had his delivered reports that the MicroSD card works just fine, though he says it's mounted under "/removable" rather than "/sdcard"

Edited by Matchstick

Guest Deus_ex11

That is great news. I bought mine yesterday with 7.5% discount too, comes tomorrow. I hope this keyboard dock offer is coming from somebody that is reputable. I wonder how much they will charge the early adopters for the dock? Will we get the dock through Asus or through comet as they know we were the first customers to buy?

My comet delivery had friday selected as the delivery date but the email confirmation says saturday. Has anyone else had this?

Also they've not included the discount coupon despite ringing to get this added, but as a bonus postage seems to be free...

Guest BillBong
My comet delivery had friday selected as the delivery date but the email confirmation says saturday. Has anyone else had this?

Also they've not included the discount coupon despite ringing to get this added, but as a bonus postage seems to be free...

I selected the Friday option and I've just checked the online status and it's showing picked scheduled for delivery tomorrow (Fri) between 7am and 6pm so it's all looking good. I think the 5OFF code was only valid until the 6th so that might be why it didn't get put on.

This is the link to check Comet orders if anyone needs it

https://secure.comet.co.uk/webapp/wcs/store...p;storeId=10151

Guest Deus_ex11

Mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow between 07:00 and 12:00. Looks like Paul and few of us here will get their's tomorrow. I will let you know of my first impression of it. Paul, you should start a new topic for the owners on here. I hope that its all that its slated to be, no pun intended. :D

Guest Matchstick
Look forward to it!

P

Comet have got around to confirming my order for delivery tomorrow with working discount coupon (and Quidco started tracking last night as well).

With the 5% off coupon, 2.5% Quidco you can get this down to £351.97 if you are willing to wait till Tuesday for free delivery.

Guest mamoulian

Yup mine confirmed for delivery tomorrow too, yay! B)

Initial comments from everyone are good.

Will be keeping my eyes open for this keyboard availability announcement 'next week'!

There's talk on XDA of meeting on IRC to play with fastboot, CWM etc at 2pm thisafternoon. Shame I'll miss it, I expect Paul and the boys will have it all sorted by the time mine arrives :D

Guest ritdaw

The 5OFF code seems to have stopped working for me B) I got to the last stage of purchase and the page failed to load - their website is shocking!

EDIT: Working now, managed to get it working from previous cached basket somehow!

Delivery tomorrow :D

Edited by ritdaw

Guest Uxian

*grin*

post-632885-1302259409_thumb.jpg

It's quite nice so far. The custom UI is usable rather than intrusive and the device seems reasonably stable. The rear camera showed a green screen the first couple of times I tried to use it but kicked in eventually (the attached photo was taken using that camera). The micro SD card reader works and I could play MP3s from it though unprotected WMAs that play OK on my DHD caused an error. The MyNet app is nice and I could stream SD videos from my NAS but it wouldn't play 1080p MP4s and for some reason half of the user interface was in Spanish.

A lot of phone apps don't display too well including, unfortunately, iPlayer which wouldn't allow me to actually play any videos because the play glyph was hidden. Not so keen on the new Market interface either but it works OK and I haven't seen any of the crashes that have been reported on the Xoom. Most are usable if a little ugly. The Kindle app works which is one of my most used apps but the layout is optimised for a phone and the 1x1 display not as readable as the iPad's 2x1 layout in landscape mode. It's light - much lighter than my iPad 1 and the screen is as good or better than the iPad for clarity.

My main niggles are the Asus keyboard which tries to use autocomplete for browser password fields making them visible to any casual observer looking over your shoulder (the native keyboard is available still fortunately) and the pressure-sensitive touch screen requires quite a positive push sometimes to get any response.

Edited by Uxian

Guest AshtonBRSC

Just got mine delivered by Parcel Force from Comet.

Can't quite believe it actually arrived so quick having ordered a Xoom about a month ago which had an estimated delivery date of 9th April. Got an email from PCWorld yesterday saying they would miss this date. I will now be cancelling that order.

So far the Eee Pad seems great and is saving me £100 compared to the Xoom. I don't need the extra 16Gb of storage space. I'm guessing the Xoom was priced high to try to get extra money out of early adopters whereas Asus has set a decent price from the start.

Guest Matchstick
Just got mine delivered by Parcel Force from Comet.

Can't quite believe it actually arrived so quick having ordered a Xoom about a month ago which had an estimated delivery date of 9th April. Got an email from PCWorld yesterday saying they would miss this date. I will now be cancelling that order.

So far the Eee Pad seems great and is saving me £100 compared to the Xoom. I don't need the extra 16Gb of storage space. I'm guessing the Xoom was priced high to try to get extra money out of early adopters whereas Asus has set a decent price from the start.

I think Motorola and the shops the signed up to sell the Xoom were counting on being able to charge a premium and get away with missing features because the Xoom would be the only Honeycomb tablet available.

And I think that did work in the US (reported sales of about 100,000 Xooms), but as is usual for Motorola they've faffed about releasing it anywhere outside the US and Asus has managed to step in and claim the first UK/EU Honeycomb tablet prize as well as being cheaper and, with the keyboard, having what looks like a very nifty trick up it's sleeve.

I'm betting DGS (PC World and Dixons) and BestBuy/CPW are absolutely kicking themselves that they signed up with Motorola and are still waiting while Comet steal many of their customers with a product that's roughly comparable, cheaper and most importantly is available today (oh and has a workign SD card slot... some of the motorola forums REALLY aren't happy about that)

BTW I was just thinking, have Asus released any other Android products before the Transformer ?

Edited by Matchstick

Guest AshtonBRSC
UK keyboard dock order info posted: £54.99 inc VAT and delivery.

http://techinstyle.tv/news/eee-pad-t...rd-dock-offer/

Huzzah! :D

I'm pretty impressed with Asus at the moment. Not only is the tablet good but they have actually revealed details of this keyboard dock offer quickly rather than promising something and not following through for ages like often happens.

Guest Uxian

Fixed URL

However I don't see then citing any source for this, haven't found anything related to it on the Asus web site or FB page and considering the time I wasted following this site's previous misleading post about stock in Comet branches I'll wait for some kind of official press release.

Guest Matchstick
Fixed URL

However I don't see then citing any source for this, haven't found anything related to it on the Asus web site or FB page and considering the time I wasted following this site's previous misleading post about stock in Comet branches I'll wait for some kind of official press release.

Uxian, the keyboard upgrade deal is mentioned on the official Asus UK twitter feed so I think it's genuine.

http://twitter.com/#!/asusuk

Edited by Matchstick

Guest mamoulian

The link above (fixed, thanks! :-) ) was tweeted on @asusuk, techinstyle.tv is an Asus blog, dunno why they need that as well as a main site, I guess the main site is more corporate and can't be updated as quickly.

And speed is of the essence... if I'd seen the promise for this a little earlier yesterday I'd have mine in my hands now :-)

On FB they have said in a couple of comments yesterday that they will be sorting out a special keyboard order for us, and said similar on twitter (although in replies to other people so not so obvious).

I agree ideally it should be more of an official announcement, but I agree with @AshtonBRSC, I am pleased with the way they've responded to the supply issue and our whinging!

Guest frysee

Mine was scheduled for delivery on thursday, now I got a mail stating my order got canceled due to the Transformer being discontinued.... what the... -.-

And no, I'm not talking about the bundle ;)

Really pissed right now, now I need to wait for amazon to release it B)

Edit:

I apologise, please disregard my previous e-mail.

This particular Asus Tablet has not been discontinued.

We are however currently out of stock of the appliance, however we have been informed that stock should become available to us from around the 20th April onwards.

Our order system has rejected your order on the basis that we have no specific due in date.

Please replace your order from the 16th April onwards and this should be processed by our system properly.

Come on comet! Anyone ordered a spare tablet :D

Guest Dunetails
Mine was scheduled for delivery on thursday, now I got a mail stating my order got canceled due to the Transformer being discontinued.... what the... -.-

And no, I'm not talking about the bundle :)

Really pissed right now, now I need to wait for amazon to release it :)

Edit:

Come on comet! Anyone ordered a spare tablet :)

I ordered a transformer yesterday at 2pm and got an email at 3pm stating that my credit card company declined the payment(I called my card company they say this isn't true,they didn't see any requests). I called comet at 5pm yesterday and gave them alternate payment details and it seems they have sat on the order despite repeated calls all day and assurances it would go through .

Just called now and there are apparently none in stock until the 16th so I've told them to cancel the order,I'll take my business elsewhere.

Is it possible they were not meant to release it this early? I didn't hear about a Comet exclusive.