[Solved] GPS on Viewsonic 10s (with 3G)

Guest beegee1962

Guest beegee1962

Anybody with a Viewsonic Viewpad 10s or a Websurfer or any other clone with 3G card inside got the GPS working?

I tried several ROMs, including original Viewpad, UX100 (Korean version), Websurfer, but I can't get any GPS fix. Anybody else with the same problem, or anybody who has the GPS working.

If you got it working, please tell me with which ROM and which version you got it.

Or am I complete wrong and the 3G card in the Viewpad has no GPS? They mention it on their website, but with an asteriks saying it depends on (HW) option.

The 3G card and SIM slot is working perfect. Only GPS is not working at all.

Edited by beegee1962

Guest trevor432990
Anybody with a Viewsonic Viewpad 10s or a Websurfer or any other clone with 3G card inside got the GPS working?

I tried several ROMs, including original Viewpad, UX100 (Korean version), Websurfer, but I can't get any GPS fix. Anybody else with the same problem, or anybody who has the GPS working.

If you got it working, please tell me with which ROM and which version you got it.

Or am I complete wrong and the 3G card in the Viewpad has no GPS? They mention it on their website, but with an asteriks saying it depends on (HW) option.

The 3G card and SIM slot is working perfect. Only GPS is not working at all.

Are you getting any error messages and which app are you trying to navigate with? :D

Guest beegee1962
Are you getting any error messages and which app are you trying to navigate with? :D

I get no error message. The GPS icon appears in the notification bar as searching.

I tried Google Maps (Latitude), GPS Status, Navdroid. All time the same, icon appears, but no fix. My HTC Desire next to the tablet gets a fix. So satellites are visible.

[edit] Of course I enabled GPS in Settings->Locations[/edit]

Edited by beegee1962

Guest trevor432990
I get no error message. The GPS icon appears in the notification bar as searching.

I tried Google Maps (Latitude), GPS Status, Navdroid. All time the same, icon appears, but no fix. My HTC Desire next to the tablet gets a fix. So satellites are visible.

[edit] Of course I enabled GPS in Settings->Locations[/edit]

Well the way I fixed the 'external' GPS issue I had on my Vega was to download and install a tool called 'GPS OnOff' from Curve Fish on the Market then go to your HOME page and long press on the screen and select Widgets and scroll down to the 'GPS OnOff' tool and select it and position the new icon on your home page. Not saying it would work in your case but might be worth a try who knows ! :D

Guest beegee1962
Well the way I fixed the 'external' GPS issue I had on my Vega was to download and install a tool called 'GPS OnOff' from Curve Fish on the Market then go to your HOME page and long press on the screen and select Widgets and scroll down to the 'GPS OnOff' tool and select it and position the new icon on your home page. Not saying it would work in your case but might be worth a try who knows ! :D

still the same, I guess my Viewpad has not GPS on the 3G card. Tried the widget GPS OnOff and GPS status from Andrea Baccega on both my Desire and the Tablet. The Desire shows fix and the satellites, the tablet shows not a single satellite and no fix. Left it again for 10 minutes, but nothing changed on the tablet, while the Desire had a fix position within seconds.

Thanks for the help.

Guest Hasanpb

Hi guys,

I have the same problem with my POV with 3G module. I already tested all ROM without success :D Is there anybody who can give me some help???

Thanks.

Guest trevor432990
Hi guys,

I have the same problem with my POV with 3G module. I already tested all ROM without success B) Is there anybody who can give me some help???

Thanks.

Think you need to go to the manufacturers website and thoroughly check the spec for the device and the 3G features included. If GPS is not specifically mentioned it aint there ! :D

Guest beegee1962
If you haven't already tested the smartbook rom for the mn360u, then I would suggest to try this here

http://www.smartbook-service.de/index.php?id=63

It must work if you have internal GPS.

Thanks for the link. Downloading right now. It says it will take 8h (I hate this slow hotel connections, time to get home to Tokyo).

But I think I found the problem. I have the Huawei 770W module in my ViewPad, and the spec says nothing about GPS.

Will give it a try anyway. ROM seems to be newer than all others. March 16th and OS version 2.2.1 while Vega is still on 1.09 and UX100 is the only one with 1.10 I found.

Guest beegee1962
Thanks for the link. Downloading right now. It says it will take 8h (I hate this slow hotel connections, time to get home to Tokyo).

But I think I found the problem. I have the Huawei 770W module in my ViewPad, and the spec says nothing about GPS.

Will give it a try anyway. ROM seems to be newer than all others. March 16th and OS version 2.2.1 while Vega is still on 1.09 and UX100 is the only one with 1.10 I found.

Same with the Smartsurfer ROM. No GPS, but 3G works fine. ROM version says 1.09, Kernel .32 so the name of the update is missleading, not sure what they changed.

Conclusion - Huawei 770W module has no GPS, so I give up on this subject.

Edited by beegee1962

• 2 weeks later...