Eee Pad Transformers Owners Thread (26/04/2011) First post updated

Guest Deus_ex11

Guest Dunetails
Great device overall but plenty of niggly issues:

- A good few apps don't like Android 3.0 and crash for various reasons.

- Wifi seems to be active almost all the time even if background synch is turned off, this kills the standby battery life, I used to be able to keep the iPad going for weeks.

- Speaker crackles/camera randomly green screens

- HDMI doesn't like panasonic TVs

- Currently no MyCloud and the language issue with MyNet

- Video playback isn't great and there's no optimised players, flash seems to be the closest was able to stream 720P anime through a custom in-browser player with subtitles on-top rarely dropping frames, so there's hope for an optimised player yet.

- SRS isn't on when surfing web etc so speakers are unbalanced.

- Flex on the back panel but agree with other posts it does matter where you hold it and it's really nothing at all.

- Crap proxy support for corporate networks, there's a hidden settings panel but there's no support for authentication!!!

Good things about the device:

- Screen hands down beats the iPad IPS panel and is the best I've seen on a device this size ever.

- Lovely weight and finish to the device.

- All the extras like SD memory, HDMI work well.

- Love the Honeycomb design and layout.

- Love the quality of video and sound when you chose the correct format.

Let's hope a decent movie player app for 3.0 and tegra2 is out soon and that the upcoming update deals with many of Asus' bugs.

I've found that the HDMI out doesn't workwork on my Panasonic TV either. Tried it on other TVsbut only the Panasonic plasma doesn't detect it.Anyone else had this or has any ideas?

Guest Mr Paul
I've found that the HDMI out doesn't workwork on my Panasonic TV either. Tried it on other TVsbut only the Panasonic plasma doesn't detect it.Anyone else had this or has any ideas?

My Panasonic 42" Plasma works just fine with the transformer, this is with a £1.98 1.5m lead from Amazon!

Guest Highland3r
My Panasonic 42" Plasma works just fine with the transformer, this is with a £1.98 1.5m lead from Amazon!

What model tele do you have? Can you link the cable you brought please?

Ta!

Guest lynnd

I love the transformer, despite the issues that everyone is mentioning. I can’t wait for the keyboard to arrive. But I have a couple of annoying things that I can't see anyone else has mentioned yet.

Is anyone else getting grid marks appearing on the screen? They seem to clean off with a glasses cloth, but come back.

I can’t get flash to work. It appears to be downloaded but won’t open.

Guest Mr Paul
I love the transformer, despite the issues that everyone is mentioning. I can’t wait for the keyboard to arrive. But I have a couple of annoying things that I can't see anyone else has mentioned yet.

Is anyone else getting grid marks appearing on the screen? They seem to clean off with a glasses cloth, but come back.

I can’t get flash to work. It appears to be downloaded but won’t open.

You can't "open" it. Can you confirm flash works on the web?

Guest lynnd
You can't "open" it. Can you confirm flash works on the web?

Decided to have one more go at uninstalling and reinstalling, its working thanks

Edited by lynnd

Guest Beardy Shaw
Is anyone else having problems using the HDMI output ? I just got a cable for it but it doesn't seem to work for me, I am getting no signal to the TV. Is there a specific type of Mini HDMI i need ?

I'm having the same issue :mellow:

I have tried on a Samsung TV and a crappy old Vistron but the Asus Transformer won't output to either. The lead I bought was a cheapy one from ebay.

Anyone got any ideas why this isn't working? I noticed the lead that doesn't work for dazza is working for someone else?

Cheers,

Tim

Edit: The lead I tryed that doesn't work with either of my TV's was http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...#ht_2596wt_1033

Both TV's work fine outputting from a netbook with a normal sized HDMI lead.. so not sure of this is the TV, the lead or the ASUS device??

Edited by Beardy Shaw

Guest Beardy Shaw
Sadly this didn't work.

Someone on the XDA forums says when you plug in a hdmi cable we should be getting an extra icon near the clock. I'm not getting this icon myself.

Guest Dunetails
Then I'd say for what ever reason your TV isn't compatible with the tablet :mellow:

Yeah, Transformer works on my projector, not on my 46" plasma though :o

Odd though, its the only thing I've come across ththat doesnt work on the TV, the icon just doesn't appear.

Guest Bobby Elliott
Maybe the last point: this is something I'd be happy to stand up to my ipad loving friends.....unlike the Vega....

I am also coming from the Advent Vega to the Asus Transformer. First let me defend the Vega. It was, and is, good value for money. As your first tablet, and if you like modding, it remains the best value tablet available in the UK. BUT, it's rough and ready. In comparison to the iPad (1 or 2) it's not in the same league in terms of build quality and refinement. But it's half the price.

The Transformer, too, is in the different league from the Vega. And it does bear comparison to the iPad2 (it's clearly superior to the original iPad). The build quality is simply fantastic. IMO it has the best "feel in your hand" of any tablet available right now. Everything about it, in physical terms, feels solid. And the screen is simply stunning. Honeycomb is a big improvement over previous versions but still feels a little rough round the edges, which surprised me. So, in summary:

Pluses

Build quality (better than iPad)

Screen (better than iPad)

Battery life (as good as iPad)

Speed (good but not as good as the iPad)

Honeycomb (good but still not as slick as the iPad)

I/O (better than iPad)

Outstanding wi fi performance (better than iPad)

Minuses

Few tablet apps at this time (but they will come)

So far, I have experienced none of the problems reported on this thread. But my device is brand new (bought yesterday).

I'd give it 9/10.

Edited by Bobby Elliott

Guest Scottland
Build quality (better than iPad)

Not trying to 'start anything' here. But I'm not sure how you'd rate the build quality better than the iPad? Not that the Asus is bad mind, but the iPad is (like most apple devices) top notch. It's solid all round, and has a nice solid Al back, not the plastic of the Asus.

I've come straight from the iPad to the Asus, and whilst I wouldn't say the Asus bq was a negative point, I would say the iPad was better built and more solid though.

:mellow:

Guest BillBong

Has anyone managed to get the BBC iPlayer app working yet? It just shows me a black box where the screen should be [i'm still on the stock ROM (updated for the 2 OTA updates)]

Also, is anyone else using a screen protector? I had a spare Vega one which I cut down to size, but its a matt finish which definitely makes the display look duller. I'm tempted to take it off but just wanted to see how the gorilla glass is holding up in the real world.

Guest lynnd
Has anyone managed to get the BBC iPlayer app working yet? It just shows me a black box where the screen should be [i'm still on the stock ROM (updated for the 2 OTA updates)]

Also, is anyone else using a screen protector? I had a spare Vega one which I cut down to size, but its a matt finish which definitely makes the display look duller. I'm tempted to take it off but just wanted to see how the gorilla glass is holding up in the real world.

There have been a few posts about the iplayer app problem, but it works fine through the browser.

Guest blondejon

My transformer has just travelled 2000 miles to Finland and back and apart from finger print smudges the glass has not a mark upon it

Guest Bobby Elliott

BBC iPlayer not working here, either.

Dont use a screen protector. It is unnecessary and ruins the look of the device. A bag is sufficient protection.

The iPad is well engineered but the Transformer feels more sturdy and better able to withstand heavy use.

Guest Highland3r
Yeah, Transformer works on my projector, not on my 46" plasma though :unsure:

Odd though, its the only thing I've come across ththat doesnt work on the TV, the icon just doesn't appear.

Panasonic p42g20b plasma has the same issue.

Works fine on a smaller 21" lcd.

Looks like the device doesnt detect the tv even - on the lcd, tablet picked up the hdmi output even with the tv switched off.

Guest blondejon

Just watched movie via hdmi input on onkyo 680 amp. It was awesome, quality surpased my expectations. There was some overscan though but this didnt affect movie playback only the desktop.

Edited by blondejon

Guest Dunetails
Panasonic p42g20b plasma has the same issue.

Works fine on a smaller 21" lcd.

Looks like the device doesnt detect the tv even - on the lcd, tablet picked up the hdmi output even with the tv switched off.

Yup, even if my projector is off it detects it.Darn Panasonic...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest BrumBrum74

Anyone else here got a problem with power/wake button?

Some times I have to press several times to wake up screen and to turn off by holding I can take med from 2-15 tries before I get it to turn off. Same with turning it on.

Got the Transformer today and am afraid I'll have to ship it back to Asus for repair/replacement.

Guest Deus_ex11
Anyone else here got a problem with power/wake button?

Some times I have to press several times to wake up screen and to turn off by holding I can take med from 2-15 tries before I get it to turn off. Same with turning it on.

Got the Transformer today and am afraid I'll have to ship it back to Asus for repair/replacement.

I think you are experiencing the sleep of death issue, but it could be that you have a faulty button. Update to 3.1 and see if you still have this problem, unless you have already shipped it back.