MyNet

Guest ChakMD

Guest ChakMD

Has anyone figured out how to get the language back to English? Or how to get it to play simple avi files? It recognises my tversity setup but won't play a single video file off the server. Or is there any better alternative to streaming media to the tablet? Seems like a rushed job from ASUS.

Cheers,

C.

Edited by ChakMD

Guest AFK_Matrix
Has anyone figured out how to get the language back to English? Or how to get it to play simple avi files? It recognises my tversity setup but won't play a single video file off the server. Or is there any better alternative to streaming media to the tablet? Seems like a rushed job from ASUS.

Cheers,

C.

Don't have my Transformer yet but over on the android forums people have had success with UPnPlay or there is CifsManger but not sure it works on tablets.

Guest Matchstick

Cheers,

C.

I'm not sure MyNet is ever likely to play .avi files as I don't think Android contains Divx/Xvid codecs by default.

You are probably better off either converting the files to H.264 MP4 or trying an alternative player with the files copied locally.

Guest ChakMD

UPnPlay works brilliant thanks! I was using gmote to wireless access media, but that did not scale at all. This looks and works much better with my tversity setup. Works well with vPlayer, which has now been updated to work with tegra 2, I don't know if it is true hardware decode, but it works. Now just waiting for a player that can play high profile mkvs

Guest AFK_Matrix
UPnPlay works brilliant thanks! I was using gmote to wireless access media, but that did not scale at all. This looks and works much better with my tversity setup. Works well with vPlayer, which has now been updated to work with tegra 2, I don't know if it is true hardware decode, but it works. Now just waiting for a player that can play high profile mkvs

Great glad it works for you I am going to use this app until Plex releases their app for tablets as that seems a much more polished app and it plays mkv's. Have you tried Rockplayer for your mkv's I don't know if it will play high profile mkvs but it definitely does play that file type.

Guest ChakMD

I have been using Rockplayer Lite aswell as vPlayer (Still trying to find the best one). I tried to stream across a 1 minute 720p AVC High (L4.1) sample with DTS audio across my network, and that wouldn't play at all. Then I tried to play same file locally on the tablet, and Rockplayer Lite did play but the audio and the video were both very jittery. I was only able to play the file using software mode on rockplayer lite, as it still doesn't support hardware decoding on Tegra 2, and has to use the native player to play back in that mode. vPlayer had the same playback issues even though it has been 'optimised' for tegra 2.

I have been looking forward to Plex aswell, but I havent read too much about it, so I dont know if it will support high profile mkvs.

Update, so I have been playing around with the two iteration of Rockplayer (ARMv7 & universal) from their website (not Rockplayer lite that you find on the market). Both versions were able to hardware decode the MKV, without any tearing or artefacts, but the frame rate was pants. Interestingly the software decode of MKV and avi's on the ARMv7 version didn't work at all, and it kept on saying cannot not locate file. The Universal version software decoding worked fine though with the avi's, but again the mkvs was unwatchable due to the poor frame rate, and the video issues.

Again this was a High profile mkv, so lower profiles should work just fine.

Edited by ChakMD

Guest mamoulian

I spent a long time opening holes in my firewall to allow mediaserver access. I eventually got it to work in UPnPlay but MyNet isn't finding my server. No hits in the firewall catchall logs, so maybe it doesn't like PS3MediaServer.

Same experiences as others playing video files. Someone suggested Moboplayer but it wouldn't open any files I tried, just kept closing and reopening itself.

Allegedly the Tegra2 hardware decoding should be able to handle AVC no problem, hopefully some apps to use that hardware are on their way soon...

Guest SilentMobius
Update, so I have been playing around with the two iteration of Rockplayer (ARMv7 & universal) from their website (not Rockplayer lite that you find on the market). Both versions were able to hardware decode the MKV,

Just to note, that rockplayer cannot hardware decode an MKV, in any real sense.

Hardware decode is a colloquial term at best but as I'm sure we're all aware that the indication is that most, if not all, of the available hardware acceleration is being used. The absolute _best_ rockplayer can do is use all of the ARM core, it's not using the GPU at all, and most of the video capability in the Tegra2 is in the GPU.

The only way to use the tegra2 GPU to decode video is if the OMX libs are being used, for that to happen the container has to be registered with stagefright and the MKV container is not in there. Same with AVI, the previous versions of android could parse an AVI container (nothing to do with the codec) but it appears to be missing in Honeycomb. The only way to add all that is to recompile the framework.

And for that we need the Honeycomb source.

Edited by SilentMobius

Guest Deus_ex11

I'm afraid you'll be waiting a long time for that program. Tegra 2 is only capable of decoding main profile H264. I've tried a 720p mp4 at 30fps encoded using main profile @L3.1 and it plays smooth with the stock player. I've tried a 1080p mp4 at 24fps encoded using baseline profile @L4.1 and that also plays great. I can't even play any high profile files on the stock player, so its not capable of it. That is the only player thats using the gpu to acelerate at the moment. The only thing you can do is convert your files to main profile and use the mp4 container.

Tegra 2 info

H.264/MPEG-4 AVC info

You can try the clips here, the only one that will play is bourne ultimatum

Edited by Deus_ex11

Guest ChakMD

Thanks to everyone for the info. i am not too clued up on the technical side of things and just trying to piece together all the info i have been reading of late, and you guys make it easy to understand :)

i have ditched the asus app and have been using upnplay with moboplayer, as they handle avis just fine. i dont need to watch HD on such a small screen, thats what i bought my telly for :) But i might do some conversions just to see the true potential of the device i spent my hard earned cash on.

Edited by ChakMD

Guest AFK_Matrix
Thanks to everyone for the info. i am not too clued up on the technical side of things and just trying to piece together all the info i have been reading of late, and you guys make it easy to understand :)

i have ditched the asus app and have been using upnplay with moboplayer, as they handle avis just fine. i dont need to watch HD on such a small screen, thats what i bought my telly for :) But i might do some conversions just to see the true potential of the device i spent my hard earned cash on.

Hi Chak,

Can I ask if moboplayer is better than rockplayer? Just wondering why your using that video player is all?

Guest ChakMD

Hi, moboplayer and rockplayer are exactly the same I believe. I think i read somewhere that one of the developers of rockplayer fell out with the others, quit the project and took his code and released it as mobo, all for free. So thats basically why I prefer it lol, because its free :) But also I find it plays my avi files just fine. As i said before I don't really playback HD files on the transformer. Not the technical comparison you were probably expecting :) i will leave that to someone in the know.

Guest aramazia kin

I'm glad ASUS fixed the language problem with MyNet, but I have noticed another problem. When you are playing videos through MyNet there's a status bar at the bottom that covers part of the video, not much of a problem, unless you watch something with subtitles. If the subtitles are at the bottom then they get covered up by the bar making them unreadable! The only ways I can think of to fix this are to download the videos and just watch them in the normal video app or re-encode the videos with the subs at the top, unless there is some way to completely hide the bar, but I couldn't see one. Its annoying because MyNet is playing 1080p and 720p videos perfectly over the network apart from this annoying problem.

Guest Knight77

I have a problem with this application and UpnPlay: both of them (and the PS3) just can see one folder of my networked HD. Dunno why...I have \\192.168.2.1\AiDisk_a1 and then \music\ and \videos\, under Music I have many folders like Chillout, Rock, Electronic, Metal, Classical etc. but nothing it just see this path

\\192.168.2.1\AiDisk_a1\Music\Chill Out

and inside this only the first four folders.

I am going crazy trying to solve the problem. Can anybody help me?

HD is connected directly to Router - Asus RT-N56U that support Upnp and Samba (SMB).

This is the only setting:

ASUS_RT-N56U_Dual_Band_Wireless-N_Gigabit_Router_Menu_3.jpg

P.S. The pc and the notebook I've got at home can see the full hd and all the contents.

Guest keef319

Personally I prefer MoboPlayer over RockPlayer. Only really because MP will rotate the image whereas RP won't. And that suits me better when I (eventually) get the official case...

Guest AFK_Matrix
Personally I prefer MoboPlayer over RockPlayer. Only really because MP will rotate the image whereas RP won't. And that suits me better when I (eventually) get the official case...

Well I can't get Moboplayer to work with UPnPlay and I have also had issues with UPnPlay not seeing some folders and if I rename a folder or avi etc then that also disapears. I have contacted the developer but all he can suggest is rescanning the NAS which my NETGEAR Stora has no option for at all.

So I have downloaded another app called File Expert and it works a treat, sees my NAS and all the folders and files properly and then when you click on the videos will use Rockplayer to play them perfectly so gonna uninstall UPnPlay unfortunately.

Guest Knight77
Well I can't get Moboplayer to work with UPnPlay and I have also had issues with UPnPlay not seeing some folders and if I rename a folder or avi etc then that also disapears. I have contacted the developer but all he can suggest is rescanning the NAS which my NETGEAR Stora has no option for at all.

So I have downloaded another app called File Expert and it works a treat, sees my NAS and all the folders and files properly and then when you click on the videos will use Rockplayer to play them perfectly so gonna uninstall UPnPlay unfortunately.

So basically you've got the same UPNP Drive problems I have...two questions for you:

1) with File Expert and you click on the video doesn't it start copying it to your local drive instead of streaming it?

2) You are using Rockplayer but which video format? I'm interested in MKV...

Guest AFK_Matrix
So basically you've got the same UPNP Drive problems I have...two questions for you:

1) with File Expert and you click on the video doesn't it start copying it to your local drive instead of streaming it?

2) You are using Rockplayer but which video format? I'm interested in MKV...

Yeah after investigating more File Expert doesn't like MKV files but will play my avi files, it just uses Rockplayer to play the avi's when I click on them.

But I am now using PLEX and its awesome as it plays my mkv files with no problems and has gotten rid of a problem I was having when playing on my TV via HDMI. It's only draw backs are that you have to have the PC on as the client server and the mobile app cost £3 but imo its worth the money.

Guest jivkomk
Yeah after investigating more File Expert doesn't like MKV files but will play my avi files, it just uses Rockplayer to play the avi's when I click on them.

But I am now using PLEX and its awesome as it plays my mkv files with no problems and has gotten rid of a problem I was having when playing on my TV via HDMI. It's only draw backs are that you have to have the PC on as the client server and the mobile app cost £3 but imo its worth the money.

Can you play through Plex .avi files. I can't.

Guest AFK_Matrix
Can you play through Plex .avi files. I can't.

I have had no issues playing the avi files I have, they arn't HD ones though so that may make a difference?