1.09 Stock Vs r8 MoDaCo

Guest Touch Graphite

Guest Touch Graphite

Is it just me or was the r8 build not based upon the 1.09 ROM released by Advent!?

I flashed the stock 1.09 before throwing on the r8 update (didn't know if I needed to or not had stuck with the safe option) and with the 2 minutes of playtime between flashings,

1.09 has a nice green android icon during booting. r8 lost this.

1.09 has full screen dropdown notification bar, r8 lost this.

Any chance on getting these things added in the next build?

For me to notice them in the 2 seconds I had before moving on, they must stand out to others upgrading from stock.

Guest warriorscot

Can't say I noticed much the boot icon is a minor thing I don't notice and it's easy to change the boot animation.

And can't say I notice the notification bar dropdown much unless it isn't working. I generally don't like it full screen with the standard background so the R8 was an improvement.

If you like it the stock way just change them back its not to hard to edit the necessary files to get things back as they were. Check out vega tools its handy for modding.

You might also fancy trying corvus rom it's mostly based on the R8 and buzz kernel with some nice changes cosmetic and otherwise.

Guest Touch Graphite

The thing is, the dropdown bar is full screen, just the area where the text displayed isn't, with grey areas either side.

The text area is full screen and works properly in 1.09 stock.

Also, the power off menu is shown properly in 1.09 that isn't small in the middle of the screen without the need for scrolling.

Guest gitf@ce
Also, the power off menu is shown properly in 1.09 that isn't small in the middle of the screen without the need for scrolling.

Just hold the power button in for 5 or 6 seconds and it switches off without the hassle of the menu. Must say that these really seem like non-issues, when you consider what you are getting with Pauls R8.

Guest Zebrahead
Just hold the power button in for 5 or 6 seconds and it switches off without the hassle of the menu. Must say that these really seem like non-issues, when you consider what you are getting with Pauls R8.

Fairly confident this is some description of "hard" poweroff whereas the menu is a friendlier power off.

Upon using the menu power off, you'll get the spinning circle "O Powering off". Presumably here android is cleaning up/ensuring a safe poweroff.

This does not happen when using the more forceful hard poweroff.

This is based upon general knowledge of computing and shutting down protocols. If anyone knows any better, please correct me ^^.

Zeb

Guest SeiferTV

No one is saying that this are deal breakers, he's just wondering why those were changed. I'd like to change those aswel, if I could.

Paul's rom is absolutelly amazing, that's for sure, this aare minor tweaks OP and maybe myself would like to make.

Guest Touch Graphite

Its clear that Seifer and rvgdeer are both POV owners instead of vega owners and always seem to understand me and got sound attitudes.

Maybe I bought the wrong clone.

Guest Zebrahead
Is it just me or was the r8 build not based upon the 1.09 ROM released by Advent!?

I flashed the stock 1.09 before throwing on the r8 update (didn't know if I needed to or not had stuck with the safe option) and with the 2 minutes of playtime between flashings,

For me to notice them in the 2 seconds I had before moving on, they must stand out to others upgrading from stock.

No one is saying that this are deal breakers, he's just wondering why those were changed. I'd like to change those aswel, if I could.

Paul's rom is absolutelly amazing, that's for sure, this aare minor tweaks OP and maybe myself would like to make.

Ok, well if it's only those features which you miss, why don't you just flash 1.09, then apply r8 with the following files deleted from <wherever_you_extracted_the_zip>/files

Bootanimation :

I confess, not quite sure - upon examining the update, there doesn't seem to be /data/local/bootamination.zip

If there was, this is what's replacing the 1.09 animation....

Alternatively, you could back up this file before flashing r8, then reapply it.

Notification bar :

The information regarding this is stored in /system/framework/framework.jar . By not overwriting this, you keep the old framework and thus the 1.09 notification bar.

I warn, I'm not sure what other features of r8 you'd miss out on by ignoring framework, but I think this is mostly graphical things. Come to think of it, this may also be the source of the boot animation problems!

In any case, backup before you flash ^^

Good luck, pm/quote if you want me to clear anything up.

Zeb

Guest SeiferTV
Ok, well if it's only those features which you miss, why don't you just flash 1.09, then apply r8 with the following files deleted from <wherever_you_extracted_the_zip>/files

Bootanimation :

I confess, not quite sure - upon examining the update, there doesn't seem to be /data/local/bootamination.zip

If there was, this is what's replacing the 1.09 animation....

Alternatively, you could back up this file before flashing r8, then reapply it.

Notification bar :

The information regarding this is stored in /system/framework/framework.jar . By not overwriting this, you keep the old framework and thus the 1.09 notification bar.

I warn, I'm not sure what other features of r8 you'd miss out on by ignoring framework, but I think this is mostly graphical things. Come to think of it, this may also be the source of the boot animation problems!

In any case, backup before you flash ^^

Good luck, pm/quote if you want me to clear anything up.

Zeb

Cool stuff, I'll try with those files. Could I adb/ root explorer push those files aswel?

Cheers

Guest warriorscot

As far as I know the framework.jar shouldn't affect too much if you replace the R8 one with the original or just the neccesary values you want to keep. The framework.jar is the file that you want to modify to change the visual effects, vega tools makes pulling and pushing that file pretty easy.

But like I said you might want to try corvus rom it has a more heavily modified framework so it has some improvements and bug fixes compared to the base R8.

Guest Zebrahead
Cool stuff, I'll try with those files. Could I adb/ root explorer push those files aswel?

Cheers

Ofc ^^, all you'd have to do is replace your current framework.jar with the desired one (you may have to extract this from the 1.09 executable, if that's the one you want). I'd recommend using adb whilst in recovery mode as you are modifying the system partition.

And as warriorscott said, no there shouldn't be any problem in switching ^^

Zeb

Guest MonkeyBoy451

Pauls MCR r8 is based on the v1.08 update - unfortunately he went on holiday just before the v1.09 update was released, and hasnt got back to working on anything Vega related since, as he's playing with his new LG 2X amongst other things. :) (Lucky bugger he is... I want one of those now too!)

There's no point in throwing MCR r8 over the top of 1.09 as MCR r8 is a FULL ROM and just wipes outs v1.09

Hope that sheds some light on things. :)

Guest Zebrahead
Pauls MCR r8 is based on the v1.08 update - unfortunately he went on holiday just before the v1.09 update was released, and hasnt got back to working on anything Vega related since, as he's playing with his new LG 2X amongst other things. :) (Lucky bugger he is... I want one of those now too!)

There's no point in throwing MCR r8 over the top of 1.09 as MCR r8 is a FULL ROM and just wipes outs v1.09

Hope that sheds some light on things. :)

It would presumably be a "full rom" (whatever a "full rom" may be?) if it flashed everything. As the update merely pushes and overwrites files I would consider it more of an update than a "full rom" as the files that you push can (in theory, assuming no dependencies) be left out/kept in based upon individual preferences.

It is because of this I guess you CAN install 1.09 and then push the desired components of r8 and so be running "the best of both". However, whether 1.09 and r8 have conflicting changes I do not know. Obviously, you can not run both of the conflicting changes simultaneously.

Zeb

Guest Touch Graphite

Cheers Monkeyboy (I don't get to say that often with a straight face)

Maybe a MoDaCo update using 1.09 stock ROM could scratch that Honeymoon itch until Google prescribes the creamy goodness.

Guest Touch Graphite

There isn't a boot animation as such, only a green Android icon, but it looks a lot better than some dodgy 'Booting...' text.

Even the iPad displays an Apple icon and its those small touches that people notice.

Guest Zebrahead
There isn't a boot animation as such, only a green Android icon, but it looks a lot better than some dodgy 'Booting...' text.

Even the iPad displays an Apple icon and its those small touches that people notice.

As mentioned in my earlier post, using the framework.jar from 1.09 shouldn't have any adverse changes on r8, thus meaning you could run r8 with the bootanimation you're after.

I'll upload it here in a few mins if you like. Can even give you a script to install it.

What environment are you running? Windows or Linux (or Mac, script may take me longer as I know nothing of scripting under Mac)?

Zeb

Guest Zebrahead
Windows dude, if you write scripts like that, you know your stuff!

I don't have the utilities to extract it from 1.09 where I am on my laptop alone, I'll have to do it through my vega which'll take a little longer.

I'll put it up within the hour or so, maybe by the morning.

Zeb

Guest warriorscot

On the whole full rom versus partial. All the advent updates are full roms basically they replace all the files with new ones. The older modaco releases didn't do that they were only really add ons with a mass installer for new apks and pushing a few modified files. With the R8 it became a full rom as it replaced everything down to the kernel. Really it was the kernel update that made it a full ROM but that initial custom kernel has been worked on by Buzz and later Corvus so if you want the most up to date kernel corvus rom is the place to go.

In terms of boot animations the easiest thing to do might just be to get vega tools and push the honeycomb stuff, it has a script for installing its own custom framework file that again is a little different.

Guest Zebrahead
On the whole full rom versus partial. All the advent updates are full roms basically they replace all the files with new ones. The older modaco releases didn't do that they were only really add ons with a mass installer for new apks and pushing a few modified files. With the R8 it became a full rom as it replaced everything down to the kernel. Really it was the kernel update that made it a full ROM but that initial custom kernel has been worked on by Buzz and later Corvus so if you want the most up to date kernel corvus rom is the place to go.

In terms of boot animations the easiest thing to do might just be to get vega tools and push the honeycomb stuff, it has a script for installing its own custom framework file that again is a little different.

Ok, I guess that makes sense. Although, I still think the clarification should be made, in general, that it's RELEASED as a "full rom", whether or not you choose to install it in it's entirety is up to you. It's still easily possible to only install the parts of it you want.

Zeb