Rooted

Guest Matchstick

Guest Matchstick

Looks like Paul has battered his Transformer into submission and got Root access sorted.

http://twitpic.com/4jlhjn

I'm guessing there's alot of tidying up to do before it's safe for the rest of us to have a go, but hopefully we won't have to wait too long.

Guest zambezy

That's awesome. But more importantly what is the situation with the bootloader and recovery.

Looks like Paul has battered his Transformer into submission and got Root access sorted.

http://twitpic.com/4jlhjn

I'm guessing there's alot of tidying up to do before it's safe for the rest of us to have a go, but hopefully we won't have to wait too long.

Guest mamoulian

Huzzah!

I ended up creating an AppsOrganiser group for apps that need root so I can put them aside.

I need a way of mounting my linux server filesystem so I can play media and download things to it. On my netbook I use sshfs, I was going to use the 'Samba filesharing' app but totally forgot it needs root, have been taking it for granted on my phone for so long.

Oh and the Bluetooth Keyboard (BlueputDroid) that's supposed to work with the PS3.

Guest ChakMD

Yay! But I must say honeycomb works brilliant and is a great tablet experience, as stock. But can't wait to see what optimisations and tweaks Paul and the devs can come up for this device :-)

Guest zambezy
Yay! But I must say honeycomb works brilliant and is a great tablet experience, as stock. But can't wait to see what optimisations and tweaks Paul and the devs can come up for this device :-)

Without bootloader being unlocked or bootstrap recovery only minor tweaking is possible if the partitions are signed. If they are encrypted almost nothing is possible.

Guest Matchstick
Without bootloader being unlocked or bootstrap recovery only minor tweaking is possible if the partitions are signed. If they are encrypted almost nothing is possible.

Paul's now tweeted

"Clocking over 3000 in Quadrant with forthcoming MCR on Transformer. Feels smoother too."

So I'm guessing the internals are fairly open :)

Guest qwer23

Hi there!

I'm new to this forum, but I plan to buy a Transformer asap and saw that development already started here. Hope to peek here regularly in the future :)

I'm a little confused. Didn't ASUS officially state that bootloader and root access will be open from stock?

Saw that on the official german ASUS blog:

Hallo Mo, laut den Aussagen aus dem Produktmanagement ist der Bootloader offen, ein eigenes ROM kann also installiert werden. [...] Viele Grüße Holger

Translation: Hi Mo, product management told me that bootloader is open, so custom ROMs can be installed. Regards, Holger

and

Hallo Carsten, das Eee Pad Transformer wird vorraussichtlich ab Anfang Mai in Deutschland zu kaufen sein. Die Rootrechte sind offen. Viele Grüße Holger

Translation: Hi Carsten, the Eee Pad Transformer can presumably be purchased in Germany in early May. Root rights are open. Regards, Holger

Source:

Official ASUS blog Germany

Translations by me, so no warrant on grammar and spelling :)

Seems like these informations are incorrect, right?

Regards

qwer23

Guest Simon O

Nope, I've been told by Asus Taiwan that the tablet is open too. Paul should be posting his findings over the next few days I expect.

That's awesome. But more importantly what is the situation with the bootloader and recovery.

Depends how Paul gained root. If he used an unsecure boot image then the bootloader is surely open. In that case a custom recovery will be worked on soon :)

Edited by flibblesan