Debian on Blade?

Guest Jekle

Guest Jekle

We all know that Ubuntu dropped ARM v6 but Debian still maintain it. Debian is very stable and I know I don't have the knowledge to do something like this but I pretty sure someone does.

I think are CPU is a little-endian, but not sure

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-b...s/armel/iso-cd/

642mb is extremely large but most of that can be cut down, with using lightweight components or network install, install what you need etc.

I am trying my best and doing some research on this but There are alot of talented Devs here and would (could) help out here.

Thanks

Guest isambard
We all know that Ubuntu dropped ARM v6 but Debian still maintain it. Debian is very stable and I know I don't have the knowledge to do something like this but I pretty sure someone does.

I think are CPU is a little-endian, but not sure

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-b...s/armel/iso-cd/

642mb is extremely large but most of that can be cut down, with using lightweight components or network install, install what you need etc.

I am trying my best and doing some research on this but There are alot of talented Devs here and would (could) help out here.

Thanks

debian userland on android would be nice.

Guest Jekle
If you can create a smaller pack, let me know. What kind of UI does it have?

I would be hoping to use Openbox because its uses very little memory and will be easy on the cpu, Or even LXDE

Edited by Jekle

Guest David Horvath
I would be hoping to use Openbox because its uses very little memory and will be easy on the cpu, Or even LXDE

Wondering what can you use the phone with Debian for..

Guest Jekle
Wondering what can you use the phone with Debian for..

I suppose its not something you'd use on a daily basis but It could be stored to the SD Card and the Android could be stored on the internal flash memory.

Guest Mushroom_Lord
I suppose its not something you'd use on a daily basis but It could be stored to the SD Card and the Android could be stored on the internal flash memory.

Has there been any progress as such, dual booting the blade? I saw some action on XDA a while ago but I'm not sure if there are any updates.

Guest Mushroom_Lord

Has there been any progress as such, dual booting the blade? I saw some action on XDA a while ago but I'm not sure if there are any updates.

Guest paulgdp

Hi,

It's really easy and i've already done it, but lost it by accident...

I know it's possible to dualboot the zte blade on another OS to use it the native way but I don't think it's the best way to use Debian on a phone.

IMO, the easiest way is to chroot in a debootstrap debian directory installed on the sdcard (I did it that way):

-Cut the sdcard in two partitions: The first in FAT32 and the other one in EXT2/3/4.

-Then on your computer, using Debian (or ubuntu) , create a debootstrap on the ext partition with the armel architecture.

It should be something like:

#debootstrap --arch=armel --variant=minbase --foreign squeeze /path/to/your/ext/partition http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian

--foreign is needed because you can't complete your ARM installation on an X86 cpu.

-Then on android, using the terminal emulator or a script, mount all the needed virtual filesystems, chroot in Debian and finish the installation of Debian.

$ROOT=$1

mount procfs -t proc $ROOT/proc/

mount sysfs -t sysfs $ROOT/sys/

mount -o bind /dev $ROOT/dev/

mount -o bind /dev/pts/ $ROOT/dev/pts/

mount --bind /etc/resolv.conf $ROOT/etc/resolv.conf

chroot $ROOT /debootstrap/deboostrap --second-stage #will be very very.......very long!

umount $ROOT/etc/resolv.conf

umount $ROOT/proc/

umount $ROOT/sys/

umount $ROOT/dev/pts/

umount $ROOT/dev/

I don't recall if it's needed to set up correctly some environment variable like PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH before chrooting.

Then you have the choice to use Debian:

-By chrooting inside the Debian folder.

-By setting the environment variable to the Debian root directory to execute application in the same space as Android.

I advice you to create scripts to easily set up your chroots and env vars because it's not easy at all to write command on a 3.2 inch screen.

My impression was that it was very slow to run debian on a cheap sdcard and not being able to run Xorg at the same time as Android is very annoying.

However it's very fun and I didn't test, but I read somewhere that it's possible to run X11 applications in a vncserver and then use an Android VNC viewer to control the application.

Good luck

Paul Grandperrin

Guest Jekle
Hi,

It's really easy and i've already done it, but lost it by accident...

I know it's possible to dualboot the zte blade on another OS to use it the native way but I don't think it's the best way to use Debian on a phone.

IMO, the easiest way is to chroot in a debootstrap debian directory installed on the sdcard (I did it that way):

-Cut the sdcard in two partitions: The first in FAT32 and the other one in EXT2/3/4.

-Then on your computer, using Debian (or ubuntu) , create a debootstrap on the ext partition with the armel architecture.

It should be something like:

#debootstrap --arch=armel --variant=minbase --foreign squeeze /path/to/your/ext/partition http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian

--foreign is needed because you can't complete your ARM installation on an X86 cpu.

-Then on android, using the terminal emulator or a script, mount all the needed virtual filesystems, chroot in Debian and finish the installation of Debian.

$ROOT=$1

mount procfs -t proc $ROOT/proc/

mount sysfs -t sysfs $ROOT/sys/

mount -o bind /dev $ROOT/dev/

mount -o bind /dev/pts/ $ROOT/dev/pts/

mount --bind /etc/resolv.conf $ROOT/etc/resolv.conf

chroot $ROOT /debootstrap/deboostrap --second-stage #will be very very.......very long!

umount $ROOT/etc/resolv.conf

umount $ROOT/proc/

umount $ROOT/sys/

umount $ROOT/dev/pts/

umount $ROOT/dev/

I don't recall if it's needed to set up correctly some environment variable like PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH before chrooting.

Then you have the choice to use Debian:

-By chrooting inside the Debian folder.

-By setting the environment variable to the Debian root directory to execute application in the same space as Android.

I advice you to create scripts to easily set up your chroots and env vars because it's not easy at all to write command on a 3.2 inch screen.

My impression was that it was very slow to run debian on a cheap sdcard and not being able to run Xorg at the same time as Android is very annoying.

However it's very fun and I didn't test, but I read somewhere that it's possible to run X11 applications in a vncserver and then use an Android VNC viewer to control the application.

Good luck

Paul Grandperrin

It's a very big start... Thanks Paul