Can I add tun support to the modaco r8 ROM

Guest worto03

Guest worto03

Hi.

I'm very happy with the r8 ROM but could do with tun support so I can use vpn connections app to connect to my work via our cisco ASA's

Any idea if this can be added or do I need to bite the bullet and do a reflash to the Buzz rom to check it out?

Thanks,

worto.

Guest Zebrahead
Hi.

I'm very happy with the r8 ROM but could do with tun support so I can use vpn connections app to connect to my work via our cisco ASA's

Any idea if this can be added or do I need to bite the bullet and do a reflash to the Buzz rom to check it out?

Thanks,

worto.

Buzz is not a ROM, it's a kernel. It can be used in conjunction with r8.

Zeb

Guest worto03
Buzz is not a ROM, it's a kernel. It can be used in conjunction with r8.

Zeb

OK - thanks for the answer - so can I just add the tun support from it or do I need to install the whole kernal? I don't really want to change anything on my vega at all apart from gaining tun support, I'm happy with it the way it is.

Sorry for the ROM\Kernel mixup - I'm pretty new to this!

Cheers,

Steve.

Guest Zebrahead
OK - thanks for the answer - so can I just add the tun support from it or do I need to install the whole kernal? I don't really want to change anything on my vega at all apart from gaining tun support, I'm happy with it the way it is.

Sorry for the ROM\Kernel mixup - I'm pretty new to this!

Cheers,

Steve.

No problem ^^

And I'm not sure whether just trying to extract the tun modules would be an easy task. You're much better off just installing the whole kernel.

I would recommend backing up using CWM, this will allow you to restore your VEGA to precisely it's current state, NO MATTER WHAT! I will personally help you do that if you have trouble installing the kernel (providing you backup in the first place :)).

The kernel won't change anything that you'd "notice" as per se, but you will get speedups and other goodies through installing it. It will leave your vega as it is now, just with "something underlying" changed (I won't go into detail :))

The Buzz thread should have all the information required to install it, it really shouldn't be more than running one script (which shouldn't be a problem if you've got r8 already).

best of luck

Zeb

Guest worto03
No problem ^^

And I'm not sure whether just trying to extract the tun modules would be an easy task. You're much better off just installing the whole kernel.

I would recommend backing up using CWM, this will allow you to restore your VEGA to precisely it's current state, NO MATTER WHAT! I will personally help you do that if you have trouble installing the kernel (providing you backup in the first place :)).

The kernel won't change anything that you'd "notice" as per se, but you will get speedups and other goodies through installing it. It will leave your vega as it is now, just with "something underlying" changed (I won't go into detail :))

The Buzz thread should have all the information required to install it, it really shouldn't be more than running one script (which shouldn't be a problem if you've got r8 already).

best of luck

Zeb

cool I'll give it a go when I can prize the vega away from my girlfriend for a couple of hours, it's about time I installed CWM on the vega anyway and this seems like a good reason to do it, I always avoided it on the vega because it sounded too complicated and people kept reporting booting loops and BSOD etc. etc. but when I got the ZTE Blade a couple of weeks ago I had no choice really so I installed it on that and love it! It's great to know I can mess things up as much as I like and do a complete restore to before I started messing!

thanks for all the advice - I'll give it a blast once I'm all backed up and will let you know how I get on :)

Cheers,

worto.

Guest Zebrahead
cool I'll give it a go when I can prize the vega away from my girlfriend for a couple of hours, it's about time I installed CWM on the vega anyway and this seems like a good reason to do it, I always avoided it on the vega because it sounded too complicated and people kept reporting booting loops and BSOD etc. etc. but when I got the ZTE Blade a couple of weeks ago I had no choice really so I installed it on that and love it! It's great to know I can mess things up as much as I like and do a complete restore to before I started messing!

thanks for all the advice - I'll give it a blast once I'm all backed up and will let you know how I get on :)

Cheers,

worto.

I believe the "Vega tools" has a one click CWM. Although I have not used this myself (I just flashed recovery manually), from the rest of the forum it seems simple enough.

Zeb

Guest warriorscot

You can swap out the kernels pretty easily. Might want to grab the latest corvus based on buzz but as far as I know Buzz hasn't been updated as recently. Changing Kernels overall is one of the easier things to do and I have yet to have any problems doing it as the kernel change doesn't really affect the rest of the system in a noticeable way other than adding the new features. Although switching to Corvus or Buzz rom wouldn't be the worst thing to do sometimes a new ROM can breathe a little extra life into a vega it does tend to slow down a bit with time.