Mobile Phone Intereference on my Vega

Guest gingertips

Guest gingertips

Good morning all,

Fantastic forum - I received a Vega for my birthday & slowly getting to grips with it. Ive already installed clockwork & the MoDaCo custom rom - will definitely upgrade to full membership.

ON way into work this morning, I did notice one annoying problem - I was watching a video with headphones plugged in - I had the Vega set to Airplane mode so no wireless or bluetooth on, but I was continually picking up mobile phone data signals through the headphones - you know the annoying blip blip blip noise you sometimes hear on speaker phones or speakers.

Just wondered, is this a common "feautre" of the Vega, or is mine faulty?

Many Thanks

Guest warriorscot

No phone hardware in the vega so it won't detect cell phone signals, I would also say it is more likely the headphones or possibly the app you are using. I have had bother with airplane mode it's not phenomenally well done easier just to individually disable wireless or bluetooth the normal way.

Guest mintvilla
No phone hardware in the vega so it won't detect cell phone signals, I would also say it is more likely the headphones or possibly the app you are using. I have had bother with airplane mode it's not phenomenally well done easier just to individually disable wireless or bluetooth the normal way.

also why on earth would you need airplane mode? i know the vega has it, but only kos its a phone os. All airplane mode does is turn off the wifi and blutooth. somthing which is just as easily done as turning on airplane mode???? strange lol ( i can understand on your phone as just being connected to phone signals costs extra battery juice, but on a tablet, its really not needed)

Guest simonta

You've just managed to turn your Vega into a radio receiver. Mobile phone signals are very intrusive on electronics (that's why you turn them off on planes, I've been on a plane that had to divert with a precautionary engine shutdown because of a mobile phone). The noise you hear is when the phone registers with a new cell as you're driving around. The headset lead is acting as an aerial. It's all very complicated but the combination of the Vega and headphones is just right to pick up the signal. Only two solutions I can think of:

1. Try a different headset.

2. Go to an electronics component supplier and ask for some ferrite beads, chokes or rings (they all do the same job, depends on the size you need) which will fit onto the headset lead. Slip them on and tie the headset lead in a knot around them to hold them in place. You should place them as close to the headset end as possible.

Guest gingertips
You've just managed to turn your Vega into a radio receiver. Mobile phone signals are very intrusive on electronics (that's why you turn them off on planes, I've been on a plane that had to divert with a precautionary engine shutdown because of a mobile phone). The noise you hear is when the phone registers with a new cell as you're driving around. The headset lead is acting as an aerial. It's all very complicated but the combination of the Vega and headphones is just right to pick up the signal. Only two solutions I can think of:

1. Try a different headset.

2. Go to an electronics component supplier and ask for some ferrite beads, chokes or rings (they all do the same job, depends on the size you need) which will fit onto the headset lead. Slip them on and tie the headset lead in a knot around them to hold them in place. You should place them as close to the headset end as possible.

Thanks for all your replies. Decided that the quality of the sound overall is poor. Ive got decent headphones & they work fine with my ipod, PSP, other halfs Galaxy Tab. What you say makes sense but decided to return the device for a refund & wait for the new Samsung to come out.