Portable SIMMs

Guest nick@arawak.co.uk

The SPV rocks - no doubt, though one's love affair will surely be a roller coaster from the initial 11 out of 10 to the 4 out of 10 when you realise how slow it can be (I can't belive yours is as slow as mine - it hangs regularly), levelling off at anything between 6 and 11 depending on what you want to do.

So surely it's the justification for a SIMM that changes as easily as an SD card (in fact couldn't the SD store the SIM data?) between handsets that enable one to pick the device for the moment... I certainly won't be taking my SPV mountin biking Saturday, nor slipping it in my pocket for the pub that evening.

Surely this is Nokia's holy grail.. folgging us more than one handset we can use as and when circumstances dictate...

There is a way round. On Vodafone you can have multiple SIMs with the same number on your account and they just detect which IMEI is currently active. On orange you can have multiple SIMS (with different numbers) on the same account. Not sure which way it will all go. In 3G the SIM no longer has to be a physical device it is just a collection of logical protocols, encryption keys, memory and algorithms. It is unlikely most manufacturers will deviate from the 'SIM Card' for a while but there is no reason why they can;t in 3G at least.