USB again - Updated

Guest madmerlin

Guest madmerlin

A new problem and also a query.

So im trying to get my portable hard drive to work, and i know i have to convert it to FAT32 and stuff but does exFAT work? Iv currently just partitioned a segment of my portable hard drive to exFAT but vega wont pick it up. ( it may just be my PHD ). Also does my whole PHD have to be FAT32 or can it be a mix of FAT32 and NTFS drives?

BUT - actual problem - i do have a 4gb usb stick that is formatted to FAT32. This works fine, the first time i plug it into vega. I can access all files etc it works fine after locking/sleeping the device etc. However if i remove the usb stick, and then plug it back in i cannot find it. I do get the little light flashing on my usb stick after aprx 5 seconds of being connected but when i go through iFileManager system_usb will not find anything. Only solution so far is to reboot the vega. Anyone else have this? Is there some 'eject' command i am failing to do?

Edited by madmerlin

Guest simonta

Not sure about your specific issues but the Vega should recognise any primary partition on your PHD with a supported file system. Unless you have one of the custom kernels from Buzz or Corvus, you won't get NTFS support so FAT or YAFFS but YAFFS would be a poor choice for the SD Card :) So yes, you can partition the drive.

For the USB, you should always unmount any file device using a non journalled file system like FAT or FAT32 although that doesn't fit with why a reboot sorts it. Your risk of not unmounting is corruption which of course would still be there after the reboot.

Hope that helps rather than hinders.

Guest madmerlin

Formatted my 320GB PHD to FAT32 and after i plug it in, my vega freezes then reboots itself and gets stuck in the honeycomb boot ( with a dimmed screen ) woo! HELP !!!!

**** this was solved by plugging the second power usb from my PHD into usb port on my laptop so i assume was just lack of power causing restart.

*** not solved :)

Edited by madmerlin

Guest trevor432990
Formatted my 320GB PHD to FAT32 and after i plug it in, my vega freezes then reboots itself and gets stuck in the honeycomb boot ( with a dimmed screen ) woo! HELP !!!!

**** this was solved by plugging the second power usb from my PHD into usb port on my laptop so i assume was just lack of power causing restart.

*** not solved :)

I never got my PHD to work on my Vega but it is no big deal for me as I can use a memory stick. I don't think Vega owners should automatically expect every peripheral device out there which happens to have a USB connection to work with it so unless you can develop drivers for your particular peripheral you will have to accept this fact or look for one in the 'Working Devices List' which does. :)

Guest madmerlin

OK, i understand that not all PHD ( portable hard drive ) will not work on the vega however i just wanted to talk you through my issues as its not just 'ignoring' the PHD, it is reacting.

When i plug my PHD into Vega, PHD has power light, activity light flashes a bit, After aprx 10 second Vega freezes then reboots in very low brightness. Advent vega not found in usb file. This is the same when either Vega is plugged into power or not. Like i said if i thought it wouldn't work it would do nothing not force a restart.

Interesting part - when i have vega plugged in, PHD usb power plugged in (Y usb cable ) and i connect to Vega, it crashes then 'bricks' itself. By 'brick' i mean i get a blank screen. I am assuming this is recovery mode ? I would check by plugging it into the computer but its in host mode not slave so wouldn't show up. Anyways i hold down power for ~6 seconds, it powers off and boots normally after that.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Guest Archie O'Hare
BUT - actual problem - i do have a 4gb usb stick that is formatted to FAT32. This works fine, the first time i plug it into vega. I can access all files etc it works fine after locking/sleeping the device etc. However if i remove the usb stick, and then plug it back in i cannot find it. I do get the little light flashing on my usb stick after aprx 5 seconds of being connected but when i go through iFileManager system_usb will not find anything. Only solution so far is to reboot the vega. Anyone else have this? Is there some 'eject' command i am failing to do?

I have the same problem. Does anyone have decision or work-around? Please, help! It's very annoying to reboot device every time I want to plug USB stick.