Need help please...

Guest Paul Brown

Guest Paul Brown

Hi guys,

I've had my streak about 9 months now, and all seemed perfectly fine. However about a week ago, maybe a little longer, i put my streak in my pocket as i usually do, got in the car to go get some stuff from the supermarket, got home, got my streak out of my pocket as it was ringing, and the screen was cracked in the lower left corner. I've no idea how that has happened, i've always had my streak in my pocket, and never had a problem with it before.

I took the phone back to Carphone Warehouse where i bought it from, and they look one look at it and said it's been in an impact and therfore wont send it off to Dell under warranty. Problem is, it hasn't been dropped and never has been. The glass is in perfect condition, not a scratch on it, so i fail to see how they can say it's been in an impact. I tried phoning Dell Mobile Support, but because it was a Saturday, i got through to the American call centre, which was about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. They were pretty unhelpful, kept me on hold for about 20 minutes only to come back and say "You need to buy a whole new handset at a cost of $280" Ummm yeah, thank you, seeing as i'm in the UK, working in Dollars doesn't help for one, and the fact that the phone hadn't been dropped (as she insinuated it had been) is annoying too.

Basically i just want to know is there anywhere i can call/send an e-mail too in the UK to hopefully get this sorted. I dont see why i should have to pay over £100 to get a new screen when i did nothing wrong with the phone at all. I've also read on the forum here and elsewhere that this is a very common problem with the phone, due to the LCD being bonded to the Gorilla Glass.

Any help will be great....

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Edited by Paul Brown

Guest Paul Brown

I doubt that would do much good...

The screen is cracked in the bottom left hand corner, the whole display needs replacing. Ive no idea how it happened, owing to the fact i've never dropped my streak.

Guest XsCode

It sounds like you've flexed it too far while it was in your pocket. I had the same happen to a Nokia N95 a few years ago. You have to remember, the larger an item is, the more prone to flexing it is, and they don't come much larger than the streak.

I doubt that would do much good...

The screen is cracked in the bottom left hand corner, the whole display needs replacing. Ive no idea how it happened, owing to the fact i've never dropped my streak.

Guest Paul Brown
It sounds like you've flexed it too far while it was in your pocket. I had the same happen to a Nokia N95 a few years ago. You have to remember, the larger an item is, the more prone to flexing it is, and they don't come much larger than the streak.

That does make sense, but theres never anything in my pocket with the Streak, and the trousers aren't exactly tight either, they're usually jogging pants. I've read this happens pretty often with the streak, surely if i pay £430 for a phone, it should be able to survive in a pocket? Every other phone i've owned has had no problems with being in a pocket at all.

I've also heard the fact that the LCD is permantly bonded to the Glass is a problem too.

Guest fards

try dell uk or @dellcares on twitter, they tend to bit a bit more sensible. some people have replaced the screen themselves, for about £100 as an option.

Guest Paul Brown
try dell uk or @dellcares on twitter, they tend to bit a bit more sensible. some people have replaced the screen themselves, for about £100 as an option.

Thanks Fards, i'll send them a message on Twitter and see what they can sort for me. I know it's happened to quite a few people on here, and they've been given replacements, as Dell knows a problem exists.

I'm not confident enough to change the screen myself, i'm more used to working on computers/laptops rather than phones. I dont know of anywhere that can sort that for me either if Dell fails to sort it.

Guest OmegaStalker

honestly ring them again and its a bit of luck if you get a weird one or not...

they replaced my screen not too much arguing...

So the LCD broke and not the glass? well thats a common problem if they say no again ask to speak to their manager it normally helps a bit

Guest Paul Brown

Thanks for the help Omega.

I tweeted DellCares and they advised me to ring the Uk Mobile call centre. I'm going to call them Monday. I was busy yesterday :)

The glass is fine, not a scratch or mark on it, same with the case, not a mark on it. It's just the LCD in the bottom left corner. Theres a crack about 3/4in going diagnally. The phone was in my pocket as it usually was, started ringing, got it out and the screen was white, with the usual cracked LCD indicators. i was confused, but remembered reading on this forum of quite a few cases of mysterious LCD breakages.

I'll let everyone know what they say on Monday.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest owizard

I had the same problem with my Dell Streak. I didn't drop it and there was no impact. The screen was broken even though I always keep it in a padded old loox pouch in my pocket. I took it back to the O2 store as it is still under contract and they got it replaced within a week. It is my second replacement in 11 months. The first one had to be replaced as it had hardware issues. I am thinking about using it exclusively as a tablet now as it does not seem to be rugged enough for everyday use as a phone. :unsure: