SD Increase

Guest Casterina

Guest Casterina

There is a application on the Market called 'SD increase' - Yes, your phone must be rooted.. Install a2sd and download SD Increase.

Once downloaded set it to 2048 and performance of your SD Card will increase. As all your apps have are on your SD card, you will feel a slight increase in the speed of loading up your apps. Personally, i found this app useful as it opened applications quicker for me :)

Guest mrand
details? how should this work. sounds like rickrolling

sounds more like adjusting the read_ahead_kb file, which is set to 128 by default!

We discussed it in the CM7 thread a few pages back, but here is something at XDA:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1010807

Maybe this does the same trick for you and avoids an additional app running in the background, but maybe your app does something completely different :)

I also don´t know if this really increases the speed of your apps loading from ext2, but it does improve reading speed for example in gallery..

(On the other hand i read something about negative side effects, market downloads taking longer etc.)

Guest Casterina
sounds more like adjusting the read_ahead_kb file, which is set to 128 by default!

We discussed it in the CM7 thread a few pages back, but here is something at XDA:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1010807

Maybe this does the same trick for you and avoids an additional app running in the background, but maybe your app does something completely different :)

I also don´t know if this really increases the speed of your apps loading from ext2, but it does improve reading speed for example in gallery..

(On the other hand i read something about negative side effects, market downloads taking longer etc.)

LOL! :| Market downloads... online downloads require an internet connection not the sd card. It personally think that the speed of my apps have increased :)

Guest mrand
LOL! :| Market downloads... online downloads require an internet connection not the sd card. It personally think that the speed of my apps have increased :)

I also modified the cache in read_ahead (not using the app but the script via cwm, don´t know if this matters..) to 2048 and its really fine!

Downloading or at least installing to sd means writing, which "might" be affected, but as i said, i don´t know about this, just read it somewhere on the internet :)

Edited by mrand

Guest Casterina
I also modified the cache in read_ahead (not using the app but the script via cwm, don´t know if this matters..) to 2048 and its really fine!

Downloading or at least installing to sd means writing, which "might" be affected, but as i said, i don´t know about this, just read it somewhere on the internet :)

Yeah, its a good app :) If you want to see whether it works or not. Download the SD Speed test, do a before test BEFORE installing SD Increase and a speed test AFTER you installed the app.

Guest mrand
Yeah, its a good app :) If you want to see whether it works or not. Download the SD Speed test, do a before test BEFORE installing SD Increase and a speed test AFTER you installed the app.

But does this app run constantly in the background or is it just changing the cache size once?

In Terms of avoiding additional processes running in the background you might be better of with the Clockwork Script (from XDA) rather than the app..

Just flash it once and youre done :)

Guest Casterina
But does this app run constantly in the background or is it just changing the cache size once?

In Terms of avoiding additional processes running in the background you might be better of with the Clockwork Script (from XDA) rather than the app..

It runs constantly. Can you send me the link to the clockwork script please :)

Guest mrand
It runs constantly. Can you send me the link to the clockwork script please :)

Just look a few posts up, there is the link to the XDA thread! :)

And we also talked about this a few pages back in CM7 thread.

Just find your best value, flash the according script and forget about the app, Cheers! :)

Guest Casterina
Just look a few posts up, there is the link to the XDA thread! :)

And we also talked about this a few pages back in CM7 thread.

Just find your best value, flash the according script and forget about the app, Cheers! :)

Could you post the link in this topic possibly? :)

Guest mrand
Could you post the link in this topic possibly? :)

Thats what i did yesterday, just look a few posts up in this thread, there is the link to xda!

I give you a hint, its somewhere in the third post.. :)

Aight? Cheers!

And if you don´t want / can´t register over there, there was link to another forum with the same scripts, maybe i´ll find it..

Edited by mrand

Guest Casterina
Thats what i did yesterday, just look a few posts up in this thread, there is the link to xda!

I give you a hint, its somewhere in the third post.. :)

Aight? Cheers!

LOLLL :| Damnnn! Ohh, this is where i got the information from. But if you read at the bottom of the thread. It gives you a link to download. That's why i downloaded the app. That's for the information, i'll place the zip on my sdcard nw :)

Guest mrand
LOLLL :| Damnnn! Ohh, this is where i got the information from. But if you read at the bottom of the thread. It gives you a link to download. That's why i downloaded the app. That's for the information, i'll place the zip on my sdcard nw :)

yeah, just saw the new link to the app!

So, i´m not sure if there is an advantage in using the script rather than the app..

maybe you can find out :)

Cheers!

Guest Casterina

So, i´m not sure if there is an advantage in using the script rather than the app..

Cheers!

I found it on the XDA developers page, I'mma install it now :)

Thanks again!!

Guest de_shepherd

Cheers!

using the script you know what its doing, installing the app involves allowing it full internet access permission. Its probably totally safe but small "this will make your PC much faster" programs were/are one of the major ways of spreading malware!

I'm probably being paranoid so i didn't install the app ... in any case a manual change of the setting only made a minor speed improvement for me (my "class2" SDcard was alread reporting 14MB/s read speed!)

Guest Casterina
using the script you know what its doing, installing the app involves allowing it full internet access permission. Its probably totally safe but small "this will make your PC much faster" programs were/are one of the major ways of spreading malware!

I'm probably being paranoid so i didn't install the app ... in any case a manual change of the setting only made a minor speed improvement for me (my "class2" SDcard was alread reporting 14MB/s read speed!)

Yeah, if you get any problems.. theres a script for it to be removed :)

Guest totiadrenalin

It's a service!

Which means it runs constanly if you alow it!

It have to!

Because it have to start up right after the phone boot up!

And this up is doing the same trick as the script.

Changint the read_ahead_kb in /sys/devices/virtual/bdi/179:0/

From 128 to much bigger numbers!

SAD BAT TRUE!

Edited by totiadrenalin