ZTE V9/Light 2.2 Update now available..

Guest Sebastian404

Guest AndersTornberg
Just checked myne and the imei changed to, so it must be the NV step!!!!

In my case it didn't want to do it so i was forced to skip it...

the second time it did created a NV file with no problem... but i figured now that it was it the wrong imei this time...

So try to make the NV backup

my imei now ends with: 642710 and yours any change?

And about the hardware buttons to start in recovery? anyone can use them?

Mine was also 000039485642710 probably some internal ZTE testing IMEI.

//A

Guest fredgo
Flashed BACK my V9 Successfully!!!! THANKS TO EVERYONE HERE, AND NOW I'VE GOT MY V9 WORKING AGAIN..... The part about the one blink of the LED when the volume '+' and '-' then the power switch was a saviour to my Reflash.... then the part of using the flasher was Brill!!!! However, to root the device, I need to thanks this person (hariz9511) of whom I found him placing a blog all alone here...

hariz9511 Blog

He has shared some really crucial info in Rooting your V9 SUCESSFULLY, he was using VISIONary PLUS which is found here amongst all the posting.

VISIONary PLUS

I now have a Rooted V9 with Android 2.2, and with backup and recovery this time..... I will look into how to increase my internal phone memory and attempt to overclock the cpu to at least 800MHz, so that you can run the Adobe Flash Player 10.1

I can see some of the people here is struggling to install and run Adobe Flash Player 10.1 this could be reason why (the device is only 600 Mhz). Here is a reply from the supplier of the device in Hong Kong when I question them why I can not install Adobe Flash Player 10.1 when I thought when you upgraded the Android 2.2, you can use Flash Player 10.1, here is what they have said:-

"Dear Dave,

Thanks for your enquiry.

According to Adobe flash 10.1 system requirement, apart from OS 2.2, the CPU required 800MHz CPU for WVGA display.

ZTE Light only have 600MHz CPU, it is not possible to support adobe flash 10.1.

adobe flash 10.1 "

So do you think if we can overclock the device to at least 800Mhz which May will allow us to Run Adobe Flash Player 10.1 (flash_player_10_1.zip)? Any reliable App out there that can overclock our ZTE Lighe V9?

I will explore around.

And Thanks again,

Have you found a way to overcklock the cpu? Heard of anyone doing it?

Does anyone know how to do this? Is it even possible?

Does it work with other androiddevices?

Guest KJ75

What are the differences with the official 2.2 update from ZTE released a few days ago, and the 2.2 release released here (earlier ZTE release ) with Sebastians update ?

Playing Angry Birds RIO is somewhat lagging in some stages and hoping for an update that will improve things.

I was thinking of trying the official release (currently using the earlier ZTE release with Sebastian update) but FTE no longer works.

KJ75

Guest BuckNaked
I will do a real post at somepoint soon when I get time... I'm hella busy with work, lots BIG projects going on.... we are out of beta and releasing on time.

But here is my 'custom' ROM:

r2_update_de-branded_blade_gen2-update-signed.zip - MD5: 10b0bae0f834c7010f995c705d64f960

There really was not much to 'fix' from the stock, but I've removed the usual ZTE mess, fixed the wrongly mounted file system, the ADB problems for windows users, updated all the google apps, rooted, added SuperUser, etc, etc..

it will only work on gen2 devices, so updated v9's only.

The quick and dirty install guide:

0) download file and copy to your SD card

1) use z4root to root your device

2) use Recovery Manager to install a gen2 version of clockworkmod recovery

3) reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery

4) install update.zip

5) reboot

6) ...

7) ...

8) profit!

I'm quite the noob so forgive for asking this, but when I boot into ClockworkMod (after following the other steps in this thread succesfully, i.e. updated to 2.2, rooted, installed CWM 3.0.2.8 and copied the file from above (both zipped and unzipped..) to the sdcard), it says it can't open /sdcard/update.zip (no such file or directory).. Which is correct because there is no such file. So my question is, how do I create this file? :mellow:

Thanks for all the hard work Sebastian404 and others have put in btw, great stuff!

Guest mrradmir
Just checked myne and the imei changed to, so it must be the NV step!!!!
If you do not want to lose IMEI just start flashing when phone in FTM mode!!!

Guest dylan_r

Hey, i bought a ZTE v9 (my tab version) 2 days ago.

and i have been trying to Root it so i can install clockworks etc.

I'm on official ZTE/Optus Froyo 2.2.

i have tried z4root and superoneclick with gingerbreak.

any care to help?

Guest psychbiz

I have an Optus Mytab and in preparing for installation of official Froyo 2.2 release, thought that I would try installing the clockworkmod recovery (Thinking it might be "better" than the standard recovery environment) (I'm new at this! :mellow:

I wanted to do a full image backup before updating to 2.2. But unable to get to that stage.

Now my system will not boot into recovery mode nor can I access it using USB. Boots into normal mode OK.

The process I undertook was to:

(Have already rooted the tab)

1. Install RecoveryManager v0.36beta by sebastian404

2.Downloaded recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.8-v9-gen1.img to SD card

3. Used Recovery Manager to find and install this recovery image.

Then tried to boot into recovery mode by powering off, restarting and holding down the vol- button. The result was a screen with the little green android and that's as far as it got.

I tried reinstalling the clockworkmod again, but no change.

For reasons that may or may not be related to this I have been unable connect via usb to the computer. Have tried several computers with both XP and Linux. None detect a USB device at all.

I have usb debugging turned on and used the power manager widget to enable pc connection.

edit: lsusb in a linux terminal does not show the optus tab device as connected.

Is there any way I can recover this situation? I'm new to Android, but have used Linux for many years, but don't know what I am doing here.

Many thanks for any assistance.

Guest slapnuts
I have an Optus Mytab and in preparing for installation of official Froyo 2.2 release, thought that I would try installing the clockworkmod recovery (Thinking it might be "better" than the standard recovery environment) (I'm new at this! :mellow:

I wanted to do a full image backup before updating to 2.2. But unable to get to that stage.

Now my system will not boot into recovery mode nor can I access it using USB. Boots into normal mode OK.

The process I undertook was to:

(Have already rooted the tab)

1. Install RecoveryManager v0.36beta by sebastian404

2.Downloaded recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.8-v9-gen1.img to SD card

3. Used Recovery Manager to find and install this recovery image.

Then tried to boot into recovery mode by powering off, restarting and holding down the vol- button. The result was a screen with the little green android and that's as far as it got.

I tried reinstalling the clockworkmod again, but no change.

For reasons that may or may not be related to this I have been unable connect via usb to the computer. Have tried several computers with both XP and Linux. None detect a USB device at all.

I have usb debugging turned on and used the power manager widget to enable pc connection.

edit: lsusb in a linux terminal does not show the optus tab device as connected.

Is there any way I can recover this situation? I'm new to Android, but have used Linux for many years, but don't know what I am doing here.

Many thanks for any assistance.

Unfortunately, the whole exercise is a moot point, since when you upgrade to 2.2 you will not be able to go back to 2.1 again.

Guest psychbiz
Unfortunately, the whole exercise is a moot point, since when you upgrade to 2.2 you will not be able to go back to 2.1 again.

Because I cannot get usb to work I am unable to update to 2.2!

Have since contacted Optus and they think its probably a faulty usb port after I tried different computers and different cables.

Guest slapnuts
Because I cannot get usb to work I am unable to update to 2.2!

Have since contacted Optus and they think its probably a faulty usb port after I tried different computers and different cables.

Just out of curiosity how did you install the recovery image from Sebastian if you couldn't push it through adb due to no USB? Or did you rename and move the image file on the device to the correct directory using the file manager after running rom manager overwriting the one it downloaded?

Guest psychbiz
Just out of curiosity how did you install the recovery image from Sebastian if you couldn't push it through adb due to no USB? Or did you rename and move the image file on the device to the correct directory using the file manager after running rom manager overwriting the one it downloaded?

I now have a working USB connection! (Third cable I tried)

In answer to your query, I copied recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.8-v9-gen1.img file onto my sd card in the "download" folder and then let ROM Manager "find it". It seemed to go through the install process, except that recovery doesn't boot properly and FTM is gone. Now have no way of installing Froyo update.

I don't really understand how to use ABD to (re)install the recovery image. Perhaps this is possible now with the usb connection? Can you point me to a how to? Do i need a different recovery image? Is there somewhere I can get the original FTM image for Optus Mytab (ZTE v9)?

Edited by psychbiz

Guest slapnuts
I now have a working USB connection! (Third cable I tried)

In answer to your query, I copied recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.8-v9-gen1.img file onto my sd card in the "download" folder and then let ROM Manager "find it". It seemed to go through the install process, except that recovery doesn't boot properly and FTM is gone. Now have no way of installing Froyo update.

I don't really understand how to use ABD to (re)install the recovery image. Perhaps this is possible now with the usb connection? Can you point me to a how to? Do i need a different recovery image? Is there somewhere I can get the original FTM image for Optus Mytab (ZTE v9)?

Just to clarify, that is the reason cwm won't work for you. Rom manager doesn't "find" the file. It downloads it. Now that it has, you need to replace the file it downloaded with the one you did. After you rename it to match. If in doubt, go back through the thread at xda it is in there.

After replacing the file which will be in the clockworkmod / downloads / .... directory on your SD card run rom manager again to install recovery and try of again. The yellow bar up top is it downloading again, if it does, you'll need to replace those files with your special copy too.

Hope this helps.

Guest sicksand

any care to help?

try the z4root and click temp root, while you at root, install the clockwork recovery via adb/fastboot. then boot into recovery, if success you should boot in clockwork recovery, then, you can install the update.zip

Guest slapnuts

any care to help?

Or, you can read the thread from the beginning and find out a better way.

Guest psychbiz
Just to clarify, that is the reason cwm won't work for you. Rom manager doesn't "find" the file. It downloads it. Now that it has, you need to replace the file it downloaded with the one you did. After you rename it to match. If in doubt, go back through the thread at xda it is in there.

After replacing the file which will be in the clockworkmod / downloads / .... directory on your SD card run rom manager again to install recovery and try of again. The yellow bar up top is it downloading again, if it does, you'll need to replace those files with your special copy too.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks for your input. It seems I made an error. I used Recovery Manager, NOT ROM Manager to install the recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.8-v9-gen1.img file, which I mentioned above. It said it was installed but would not boot into recovery, but it has clearly overwritten the FTM recovery option. Do I have the wrong image file? It 'seemed' to be the right one by the name.

The reason i wasn't able to use ROM manager was that it asked for me to select the model of my device when I selected the "Flash CWM Recovery" option, but the ZTE v9 was not listed. Just a few devices. So i was stuck. Then tried Recovery manager.

Edited by psychbiz

Guest Diabeetus

Thanks for the release, been waiting for this ages. Works flawless so far.

Edited by Diabeetus

Guest slapnuts

What i did is firstly use is Universal Androot 1.6.2-beta5 installed it from SDCard with Astro File Manager. Rooted The Tab with a single tap. Installed ROM Manager (Of Course it has SuperUser rights) I Chose Flash ClockWorkMod Recovery and used any of the devices listed (ZTE is not listed). I chose the Commtiva Z71 etc which flashes with version 2.5.1.3 Then i flashed it with Hawai Ascend which install version 3.0.0.5 Renamed the "b8_recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.8-light.img" to "recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.3-z71" and copied the file. Then i went to SDCard into folder "clockworkmod\download\koush.tandtgaming.com\recov eries" and replaced the "recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.3-z71" with renamed "light" img. Back to ROM Manager i flashed it again with Commtiva Z71 which i actually used the "light" image so now i have b8_recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.8-light. Note! that rom manager still says i have version 2.5.1.3

Many thanks for your input. It seems I made an error. I used Recovery Manager, NOT ROM Manager to install the recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.8-v9-gen1.img file, which I mentioned above. It said it was installed but would not boot into recovery, but it has clearly overwritten the FTM recovery option. Do I have the wrong image file? It 'seemed' to be the right one by the name.

The reason i wasn't able to use ROM manager was that it asked for me to select the model of my device when I selected the "Flash CWM Recovery" option, but the ZTE v9 was not listed. Just a few devices. So i was stuck. Then tried Recovery manager.

What i did is firstly use is Universal Androot 1.6.2-beta5 installed it from SDCard with Astro File Manager. Rooted The Tab with a single tap. Installed ROM Manager (Of Course it has SuperUser rights) I Chose Flash ClockWorkMod Recovery and used any of the devices listed (ZTE is not listed). I chose the Commtiva Z71 etc which flashes with version 2.5.1.3 Then i flashed it with Hawai Ascend which install version 3.0.0.5 Renamed the "b8_recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.8-light.img" to "recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.3-z71" and copied the file. Then i went to SDCard into folder "clockworkmod\download\koush.tandtgaming.com\recov eries" and replaced the "recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.3-z71" with renamed "light" img. Back to ROM Manager i flashed it again with Commtiva Z71 which i actually used the "light" image so now i have b8_recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.8-light. Note! that rom manager still says i have version 2.5.1.3

Substitute your version you downloaded for the one mentioned in this post.

Guest BigRizz

I own an Optus V9. I upgraded to Froyo 2.2 a couple of weeks ago using Sebastian404's helpful guidance. I'm now having a slight issue with the screen and was thinking I should take it back into Dick Smith and get it replaced. I'm a little concerned that they'll take one look at it and void my warranty because it's not the official release for the device. My issue is hardware related and nothing to do with the operating system. I figured I'd just install the Optus update and all will be fine. The problem is that when I now try to install the Optus release, it tells me it only works with the Optus My Tab. In other words, it no longer recognises the device as an Optus My Tab.

Of course, I stupidly launched into upgrading to Froyo 2.2 without taking a backup of the original operating system. Anyone have any ideas how I can upgrade to the official Optus release from the non-official one? I take it that if I can get my hands on the original 2.1 firmware, I can downgrade to it? If so, would anyone be so kind as to share their backup? Any help would be much appreciated.

Guest slickric

Substitute your version you downloaded for the one mentioned in this post.

legend - im all good after this info, thanks for spelling it out :mellow:

Guest slapnuts
I own an Optus V9. I upgraded to Froyo 2.2 a couple of weeks ago using Sebastian404's helpful guidance. I'm now having a slight issue with the screen and was thinking I should take it back into Dick Smith and get it replaced. I'm a little concerned that they'll take one look at it and void my warranty because it's not the official release for the device. My issue is hardware related and nothing to do with the operating system. I figured I'd just install the Optus update and all will be fine. The problem is that when I now try to install the Optus release, it tells me it only works with the Optus My Tab. In other words, it no longer recognises the device as an Optus My Tab.

Of course, I stupidly launched into upgrading to Froyo 2.2 without taking a backup of the original operating system. Anyone have any ideas how I can upgrade to the official Optus release from the non-official one? I take it that if I can get my hands on the original 2.1 firmware, I can downgrade to it? If so, would anyone be so kind as to share their backup? Any help would be much appreciated.

The short answer is, you can't downgrade. And you may have to wait till someone posts up an image of optus's rom so you can flash it though cwm.

The official update only recognizes 2.1 mytabs so it won't read yours.

What's wrong with your screen?

Guest alpha xs
Quoting myself :-)

I managed to get my IMEI back using the Hex-edit method.

Have to reinstall all SW though :-)

The offset for the Light is 0x1215.

1) Prepare edited Channel1.nvm

2) Start the update process according to the guide in this thread

3) When you get to the "Backup NV" part, put your V9 into FTM mode by holding down VOL - until the FTM-sign shows.

4) Now use Multisales, make sure radio button "Restore NV" is marked, make sure that the edited Channel1.nvm is in same directory as Multisales.

5) Click start all, FTM mode will allow you to do both backup and restore, but you want to do a restore with your new IMEI, right.

6) wait for it to finish, disconnect, remove battery, put battery back and start up with vol + pushed. Do not release Vol + until the Light reboots.

7) Love and behold, your IMEI has been restored, if you made everything right with the HEX edit.

I´ll upload the file that I got when I did a backup NV after succesfully downloading Firmware, you can use this and edit it, or make your own "raw" hex file with the same method.

Rename file to .nvm before trying to do the restore. (Wasn´t allowed to upload .nvm file)

Best regards

Anders.

Great job going to try that asap!

About all the other issues, many been solved already, still , just go to post's 113 and 118

113 - how to salvage what seems to be a bricked device

118 -alphaxsMOD 2.2.0.1 - Stock 2.2 rom + recovery by sebastian404 + root + busybox +superuser

Guest alpha xs

Still one question, anyone can boot the recovery using the butons?... can't (in my case i use the not signed image)

Guest slapnuts
Still one question, anyone can boot the recovery using the butons?... can't (in my case i use the not signed image)

I can. Have been able to with both generic and Sebastian rom

Guest BigRizz
The short answer is, you can't downgrade. And you may have to wait till someone posts up an image of optus's rom so you can flash it though cwm.

The official update only recognizes 2.1 mytabs so it won't read yours.

What's wrong with your screen?

There's a kind of warp or slight wave in the screen. I don't know a whole lot about LCDs but I'm guessing there is some form of plastic protective layer on the very top. That's what is seems like, at least. At first it didn't bug me too much but I'm fairly sure it is the cause of what seems a ridiculous number of incorrectly input characters when I type on the screen. When I type an 'I' I often get a 'J'. It is right where the screen warp lives and it is fairly consistenly here that I have the incorrect input. The warp is fairly obvious when you put it up to a light. I can feel it when I run my finger over the screen when dragging stuff on the screen.

I'd be curious to hear from other owners of ZTE V9s. Is the surface of your LCD flat or is it not unusual to have a bit of a wave in it? Does anyone else have an obvious 'wave' in their screen?

Guest slapnuts
There's a kind of warp or slight wave in the screen. I don't know a whole lot about LCDs but I'm guessing there is some form of plastic protective layer on the very top. That's what is seems like, at least. At first it didn't bug me too much but I'm fairly sure it is the cause of what seems a ridiculous number of incorrectly input characters when I type on the screen. When I type an 'I' I often get a 'J'. It is right where the screen warp lives and it is fairly consistenly here that I have the incorrect input. The warp is fairly obvious when you put it up to a light. I can feel it when I run my finger over the screen when dragging stuff on the screen.

I'd be curious to hear from other owners of ZTE V9s. Is the surface of your LCD flat or is it not unusual to have a bit of a wave in it? Does anyone else have an obvious 'wave' in their screen?

This is normal as it is a resistive screen, not capacitive. Try recalibrating the screen to cure inconsistency. But you do get what you paid for and given the price of these thing's it's amazing they work as well as they do.