ZTE V9/Light 2.2 Update now available..

Guest Sebastian404

Guest josh_axey
There's a kind of warp or slight wave in the screen. I don't know a whole lot about LCDs but I'm guessing there is some form of plastic protective layer on the very top. That's what is seems like, at least. At first it didn't bug me too much but I'm fairly sure it is the cause of what seems a ridiculous number of incorrectly input characters when I type on the screen. When I type an 'I' I often get a 'J'. It is right where the screen warp lives and it is fairly consistenly here that I have the incorrect input. The warp is fairly obvious when you put it up to a light. I can feel it when I run my finger over the screen when dragging stuff on the screen.

I'd be curious to hear from other owners of ZTE V9s. Is the surface of your LCD flat or is it not unusual to have a bit of a wave in it? Does anyone else have an obvious 'wave' in their screen?

Mine also has this. There is a slight.... buldge if you will... in the centre of the screen. This is pretty normal for a large resistive screen. Mine is only irritating when you press in the centre... it feels as though you are pushing a little bubble.

But, yeah - resistive is just like that. You could try returning for one and luck of the drawing a bit of buldge in a different spot... but maybe not worth the hassle?

Guest psychbiz
What i did is firstly use is Universal Androot 1.6.2-beta5 installed it from SDCard with Astro File Manager. Rooted The Tab with a single tap. Installed ROM Manager (Of Course it has SuperUser rights) I Chose Flash ClockWorkMod Recovery and used any of the devices listed (ZTE is not listed). I chose the Commtiva Z71 etc which flashes with version 2.5.1.3 Then i flashed it with Hawai Ascend which install version 3.0.0.5 Renamed the "b8_recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.8-light.img" to "recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.3-z71" and copied the file. Then i went to SDCard into folder "clockworkmod\download\koush.tandtgaming.com\recov eries" and replaced the "recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.3-z71" with renamed "light" img. Back to ROM Manager i flashed it again with Commtiva Z71 which i actually used the "light" image so now i have b8_recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.8-light. Note! that rom manager still says i have version 2.5.1.3

Many thanks for all this assistance. Ive learned a lot. But I finally discovered that the img file I downloaded for CWM was the right file, but was only partially downloaded! It was supposed to be 3.4Mb, but mine was 500k. Without knowledge I didn't notice this. Finally copied the correct (complete) file across to my Optus tab and installed it with Recovery Manager. Very simple! :mellow: And it booted into CWM recovery menu. Haven't tried to go further yet. I apologise for the dumb newbie error.

Edited by psychbiz

Guest KJ75
What are the differences with the official 2.2 update from ZTE released a few days ago, and the 2.2 release released here (earlier ZTE release ) with Sebastians update ?

Playing Angry Birds RIO is somewhat lagging in some stages and hoping for an update that will improve things.

I was thinking of trying the official release (currently using the earlier ZTE release with Sebastian update) but FTE no longer works.

KJ75

Did a bit more research and seems the official firmware from ZTE is better as it solves the Angy bird lag issue I am experiencing with Sebastians upgraded 2.2 upgrade (may also have been an issue with 2.1).

http://www.zte.com.au/ztebb2/viewtopic.php...52&start=50

Guest slapnuts
There must be something I don't get here. Have I missed something?

In attempting to follow the above I:

1. "Firstly use is Universal Androot 1.6.2-beta5. Rooted The Tab with a single tap. Installed ROM Manager (Of Course it has SuperUser rights) I Chose Flash ClockWorkMod Recovery and used any of the devices listed (ZTE is not listed). I used Hawei ascend.

2. I then went to /sdcard/clockworkmod/download/mirror.sea.tdrevolution.net/cm/revoveries and renamed recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-ascend.img to recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-ascend.old

3. I then found the clockworkmod image I downloaded previously and using astro copied it into the above folder and renamed it to: recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-ascend.img

4. I then went back to ROM Manager and repeated "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" command. This time it did not request choosing a phone model, but just came up with a progress bar at the top for some time and then said "Current Recovery: ClockworkMod 3.0.0.5.

5. I rebooted into Recovery with ROM Manager (Full of hope I might add!) and to my great disappointment still just got the same little green android splash image staring at me endlessly on the screen!

What have I done wrong! When you look at the file structure it looks so Linuxlike (Which I have used for years) and yet here I have no idea what I am doing with what looks like a simple task (end of rant - sorry)

All I can suggest is check to see if it wasn't downloaded again. It may have, delete the *.old and check the cwm download dir for another copy. There shouldn't be a progress bar when flashing fixed file Afaik

Guest stroba

A lot of the apps in Android Market are not visible after rooting the device. Is there a workaround the get these blocked apps visible again or how should I install them?

Guest melnik

I am trying this way, but it fails: when I "go back in Action Mode and tick the download box and press Start All", I receive this message: [The version is not matching,can not use this software!]. Please help, What should I do? I Have one Tablet ZTE V9 from Vodafone (Portugal).

A Couple of People have asked me now so here are some more involved instuctions:

1) download the two files from the first post

2) unrar both files to a temporary directory

3) install the Sales_MultiDL_MSM7227_V1.00.01 program

4) download this PATCHED exe (thanks to mrradmir) and place it into the directory you installed MultiDL_MSM7227_V1.00.01

5) run Sales_MultiDL_MSM7227_V1.00.01 program and at the bottom left point it at the location you unrared the larger file

6) remove the usb cable and the battery from your device, wait 10 seconds, put it the battery back in.

7) holding down VOL UP + VOL DOWN press the power button, you will see the power LED flash once

8) now connect the USB cable to your PC

9) using hardware manager find the port for your device and set it in Sales_MultiDL_MSM7227_V1.00.01's setting (read the DOC file for more info)

10) at the bottom of the application under 'File Information' press SW Directory and browse to the 'V9_GENERICV1.0.0B03(offical)' directory

11) in Action Mode tick the 'Backup NV' box and then Press 'Start All'

12) you should find a file called 'Channel1.nvm' in the program directory, take a copy of that

13) back in Action Mode tick the 'Download' box and Press 'Start All' again

14) wait

15) pray

I should mention that using this method, I've managed to get my v9 working again, even tho I screwed it first time around :mellow:

EDIT:

Some people have reported better results from re-installing a STOCK ROM and then rebooting the device into FTM mode, rather than the method mentioed in step 7... you might want to give that go

Guest psychbiz

I am trying to install the official Optus Froyo update from ZTE website using windows XP. I have rooted my Tab with Universal Androot and also unlocked it from network (Not because I want to change networks, but because I prefer a customer relationship based on mutual trust and not coercion).

My problem is that when I run the "Optus_V9 Upgrade Tool.exe" it reports that this version is for prepaid phones only and refuses to go any further! Is there some workaround I can use to resolve this and install the official 2.2 upgrade?

Guest in2tronix
I am trying to install the official Optus Froyo update from ZTE website using windows XP. I have rooted my Tab with Universal Androot and also unlocked it from network (Not because I want to change networks, but because I prefer a customer relationship based on mutual trust and not coercion).

My problem is that when I run the "Optus_V9 Upgrade Tool.exe" it reports that this version is for prepaid phones only and refuses to go any further! Is there some workaround I can use to resolve this and install the official 2.2 upgrade?

Hi All ZTE V9 Light " Optus My Tab " Owners and Contributers.

A couple of months ago i got flooded with used android devices and cam across AU Optus My Tab " AKA V9 Light " witch caought my eye.

i quickly started rooting the device and found out its unlocked. "carrier wise ".

Came across Sabsatians 2.2 Rom with flasher and updated. " Creadit goes to Sabastian , good on ya mate. :o "

The Rom is flawless , there's nothing wrong with it besides rooting it properly" right root app ".

Using Sales Multi then using official 2.2 from Optus doesn't work.

I would like to know how to manage that operation successfully or it is not possible at the moment.

Im trying a couple of hack .exe programes to see if i can extract that official optus 2.2 update execution.

I would like to compare the 2 Roms Out There, Like Speed, Executions, Memory or possible Low Quality Flash Supoort.

Sabastian's 2.2 is the closets Generic Rom Updater + Flasher ever created for this Tablet. Untill this bodgy Optus 2.2 update came along.

the features between the two are two different approaches.

Is it possible to switch between the two 2.2 Roms with PC Based Approach, or is it too early conclude.

Bid shout outs to everyone especially the major contributors. :mellow:

Guest patrikbrann
Quoting myself :-)

I managed to get my IMEI back using the Hex-edit method.

Have to reinstall all SW though :-)

The offset for the Light is 0x1215.

1) Prepare edited Channel1.nvm

2) Start the update process according to the guide in this thread

3) When you get to the "Backup NV" part, put your V9 into FTM mode by holding down VOL - until the FTM-sign shows.

4) Now use Multisales, make sure radio button "Restore NV" is marked, make sure that the edited Channel1.nvm is in same directory as Multisales.

5) Click start all, FTM mode will allow you to do both backup and restore, but you want to do a restore with your new IMEI, right.

6) wait for it to finish, disconnect, remove battery, put battery back and start up with vol + pushed. Do not release Vol + until the Light reboots.

7) Love and behold, your IMEI has been restored, if you made everything right with the HEX edit.

I´ll upload the file that I got when I did a backup NV after succesfully downloading Firmware, you can use this and edit it, or make your own "raw" hex file with the same method.

Rename file to .nvm before trying to do the restore. (Wasn´t allowed to upload .nvm file)

Best regards

Anders.

Worked fine for me too.

I let the program generate a new nvm file for me.

Edited it and flashed it back, now i got my own imei again :mellow:

Just to clarify for anyone like me,

Taken from: http://www.swedroid.se/forum/showpost.php?...p;postcount=196

Example of IMEI to HEX conversion.

IMEI: 3 54 43 31 40 00 75 16

Hex:3A 45 34 13 04 00 57 61

its all about number swap :D

Correct me if im wrong, but at least i did this and now my phone show the correct imei :o

//Patrik

Guest destroyerGT540
The quick and dirty install guide:

0) download file and copy to your SD card

1) use z4root to root your device

2) use Recovery Manager to install a gen2 version of clockworkmod recovery

3) reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery

4) install update.zip

5) reboot

6) ...

7) ...

8) profit!

Worked really well for me! Better than the official Optus 2.2, way better. Thank you again sebastian!!! :unsure:

Edited by destroyerGT540

Guest 5spdvl

I've been monitoring this thread and the Optus website for word of a working 2.2 update. Now it's available via both channels.

Is there a way to remove all the useless apps from the official rom (myspace, facebook, raging thunder, etc)? And any performance differences between them?

Guest 5spdvl
I've been monitoring this thread and the Optus website for word of a working 2.2 update. Now it's available via both channels.

Is there a way to remove all the useless apps from the official rom (myspace, facebook, raging thunder, etc)? And any performance differences between them?

So I gave the official update a shot, but gave up when it became apparent (after downloading the 150Mb install file) that it is for the pre paid My Tabs only. I've installed the alphaxsmod 2.2 easily however I'm unable to connect to my carrier (Optus) for calls/SMS/MMS/3G. Full cell strength, SIM detected, but no dice. has a full list of APNs I can select, but they still come up with the error message "Unable to connect".

Any ideas?

Guest 5spdvl

Third time lucky!! I had to choose the right APN (Optus ConnectCap), and set it to GSM/WCDMA Auto to get full network access back.

I'm also very happy to see that all the bloatware has been purged from this release. Thanks very much to those kind enough to put in their own time for the benefit of others. =)

Guest oucheev

I am from Malaysia and got this tab as a gift from an Australian friend. I tried to download the official 2.2 upgrade from Optus site but is bared because I am not from Australia. Can anyone help me by uploading the official upgrade?

Guest Sebastian404

Interesting to see there is now an official update, also interesting to see there is a new updater program too :unsure:

So, can *ALL* of the Australian users start to bug Optus for the kernel source now they have made the update officially available?

EDIT:

Anyone managed to update their device with this?

It looks like it will only create the standard files in C:\WINDOWS\sysdy\files once it detects a good device, can someone zip/upload those files for us?

Edited by Sebastian404

Guest KJ75
Interesting to see there is now an official update, also interesting to see there is a new updater program too :unsure:

So, can *ALL* of the Australian users start to bug Optus for the kernel source now they have made the update officially available?

EDIT:

It looks like it will only create the standard files in C:\WINDOWS\sysdy\files once it detects a good device, can someone zip/upload those files for us?

I have two ZTE V9 tablet (Optus MyTab). The first I performed the early ZTE 2.2 + Sebastians update.

The second one I installed the official update that can be downloaded via the ZTE AU site.

The recent official update (single file 150MB) has been very good and do not have any issues. I can even get into the FTM mode (haven't installed clockwork recovery).

However I have a few issues with the earlier ZTE release and Sebastian update.

Firstly the screen is not as accurate as it was (I have colibrated it many times).

Second, I now have lots of issues when transferrinf files from the PC to the tab via usb.

It is telling me that the path is too deep.

I do not have this issue on the new official update.

Is there a way to install the official update even though I am already running 2.2 (earlier release + Sebastian update) and clowork recovery (cannot get into FTM) ??

KJ75

Guest kallt_kaffe

EDIT:

http://www.mediafire.com/?hap4qm0lr2ugw1p

Only tried it breifly and to dump it and look for differences. Didn't test it enough to be sure but I think the magnetic compass is still crap. Kernel is an improvment though, more VPN related stuff enabled so VPN users might benefit from the new kernel. Apart from that it comes with a Optus bootanimation, some Optus apps (most of them are just bookmarks) and Raging Thunder II.

Swedish 2.2 update is supposed to be out next week and it should be unlocked and propably more clean so I passing this one.

And please, do bug Optus for kernel sources. With working kernel source we might be able to build or own touchscreen calibration into the kernel which might be all we need to get Gingerbread (CM7) running.

Guest Sebastian404
http://www.mediafire.com/?hap4qm0lr2ugw1p

Only tried it breifly and to dump it and look for differences. Didn't test it enough to be sure but I think the magnetic compass is still crap. Kernel is an improvment though, more VPN related stuff enabled so VPN users might benefit from the new kernel. Apart from that it comes with a Optus bootanimation, some Optus apps (most of them are just bookmarks) and Raging Thunder II.

Swedish 2.2 update is supposed to be out next week and it should be unlocked and propably more clean so I passing this one.

And please, do bug Optus for kernel sources. With working kernel source we might be able to build or own touchscreen calibration into the kernel which might be all we need to get Gingerbread (CM7) running.

Thanks KK, and also welcome to the V9, I heard you had one, and I noticed your github of the cm7 groundwork...

I've been asking for the source from ZTE for a while now, and/or fixing the 2.6.29 source.. I don't know if your signed up but a guy posted on ZTE's opensource mailing list that he had started porting the 2.6.32 source from the blade and had a booting kernel without USB, inputs, etc, etc maybe he will beat the offical source to release:)

Guest LayZeeDK

Sebastian404, are you still interested in Eclair stock ROM dump? I dumped mine using your tool ROM Dump before flashing Froyo.

alpha xs, for some reason your 2.2.0.1 MOD will not work on my ZTE V9. It only gets to ZTE logo.

Edited by LayZeeDK

Guest kallt_kaffe
Thanks KK, and also welcome to the V9, I heard you had one, and I noticed your github of the cm7 groundwork...

I've been asking for the source from ZTE for a while now, and/or fixing the 2.6.29 source.. I don't know if your signed up but a guy posted on ZTE's opensource mailing list that he had started porting the 2.6.32 source from the blade and had a booting kernel without USB, inputs, etc, etc maybe he will beat the offical source to release:)

That would be TomG, yes, I'm on that list. I also have the kernel working to that state. Boots, but no touchscreen and at least for me, no adb (which sucks as it means no way to get back recovery so I have to reflash everything with the hacked flasher).

Everything I've done to the kernel is available here: https://github.com/kalltkaffe/blade-kernel

But it's obvious that we do not have their version of the touchscreen. :unsure:

Here's some stuff that may be useful to others:

• OneClickRecoveryV9.apk - Installs your latest recovery (3.0.2.8) on Gen1/Gen2 devices (detects and installs the right version)
  • OneClickStockRecoveryV9.apk - Same thing but installs the Stock recovery Gen1/Gen2 (Uses stock recovery from Swedish Telia ZTE Light (Gen1) and the V9 Generic leaked ROM (Gen2))
  • OneClickRomDump.apk - Dumps ROM on 2.2 devices without the need of rooting
  • Northern Lights RLS2 - Modified version of the stock Swedish Telia Android 2.1 ROM (Swedish site so use google translate)
  • Light Roast RLS4 - Modified version of the V9 Generic leaked ROM (Swedish site so use google translate)
  • Custom partition layouts - Two layouts that gives more space for data. One works with the leaked 2.2 and the other requires Light Roast RLS4. The changed files should ONLY be used with the other files from the leaked V9 Generic ROM.

Guest sane?

What form of words should be used to get the right source code and make sure they know they have to do it?

And as a matter of interest kallt_kaffe, how similar is what you see to the Blade codebase? Is there a good chance that all your good work there will read across?

Guest kallt_kaffe
And as a matter of interest kallt_kaffe, how similar is what you see to the Blade codebase? Is there a good chance that all your good work there will read across?

The Blade and the Light are very similar. In fact the V9/Light kernel boots all the way on a Blade although the screen is very distorted.

The main differences seems to be screen driver and the touchscreen. I tried AHB overclocking by hexediting the kernel but it didn't boot so I suppose there may be some difference that doesn't cope with higher AHB bus it could also be me messing up in the hexeditor.

However I'm pretty sure we can expect overclocking at the same levels as the Blade but perhaps we will have to keep the AHB bus at normal levels.

The screen driver is included in the Blade source so the display works if you enable it. However the touchscreen included with the Blade source will need some work unless ZTE comes to their senses and gives us the source.

Guest Sebastian404
Sebastian404, are you still interested in Eclair stock ROM dump? I dumped mine using your tool ROM Dump before flashing Froyo.

If its not already in the stock roms thread I'd be interested :unsure: