No Phone ROM?

Guest the_corvus

Guest the_corvus

New rom is comming...

As anyone know the most battery draining apps in vega are the phone apps, we can use airplane mode, but then we will lost BT.

I can make a rom without 3G, but then 3G dongles will not work, so we have 4 options:

1) Leave as now: Use airplane mode and live happy

2) Create 2 roms, one without 3g.

3) A rom with 3G that will activate/deactivate phone apps using scripts (no apps, no widgets)

4) A rom without 3G that can add 3G with and Add-on, but it will not come back to a no3g-rom

Vote!

Corvus.

Edit option 3 because i dont explain myself...

Edited by the_corvus

Guest Theopulus

I'm not using 3g at this moment but I understand people would prefer having the chance of using it if needed...

Thanks a lot for the ROM BTW

Guest MaxiP

Not using 3G but who knows in the future - I'd prefer to add things onto a ROM rather than taking them away or disabling (less chance of forgetting what you have done).

+1 thanks for your ROM's

Guest Vansphone

Providing the ROM lets you easily tether the Vega to an android mobile phone's wifi hotspot, I be OK without 3G.

However, it really depends on the effect on battery life. If the end result is marginal, then you might as well keep 3G, if you get an extra hour of battery then it would be worth no having 3G

Guest dagrim1

Hmmm, I really don't know but I think option 1 is the least desirable...

The rest depends on what is the easiest for you I guess, I see some merit in a base rom with a 3G addon pack. Less space needed, less bandwith. The script method sounds fine as well, but I can't evaluate what the disadvantages would be.

A double rom could be fine, but then you have to maintain them both and as said... Double the space.

Guest diamondgar

i voted no 3g as i dont have 3g. but if enough people need 3G then option 3 would be fine as long as it has no impact on us not using 3g. Otherwise no2.

Guest TerryH

I need 3G option for the internal 3G.. :)

btw would be cool to have an option for a 3G version that 3G always automatically connect after reboot

Edited by TerryH

Guest Logseman

I find it logical to follow a modular approach. I find it best to create a "3g add-on", as it is advantageous for both sides: we who don't want 3g will not need to have it, those who need 3g will have it, and most importantly, if someone changes their mind in the future, they can reflash as needed. Corvus, perhaps you could use the idea of something like the DarkyROM Configurator for Galaxy S. It's an app which allows users to fine-tune some things before they install the Darky ROM, and then launches CWM to install the ROM according to users' preferences. I can have a talk with Darky, since I'm a beta tester, and you could get the sources from him.

Guest eriksp

Firstly, thanks for the rom and asking our opinions.

Can I suggest option 4 + 3, A ROM without 3G with 3G addon which includes scripts to deactivate/activate 3G function at desired time. I can imagine there being people who do not want 3G, hence add-on option to enable it for people who use it. And the scripts would be very useful for occasional 3G users like me - I probably would use 3G dongle about once a month, for the rest of the time I would love battery savings.

Eriks

Guest yabbas

Option 3 seems most intuitive to me, since the phone apps (and not the 3G module) are the battery killers, and only need to be enabled when the 3G module is loaded. It'd probably be easier to bundle the extra apps in as well (how much space do they take anyway?)

These would probably be enabled when switching to host mode (I'd imagine?)