14 Apr 3.0.1.4 r1 Beta - ClockworkMod Recovery for the Asus Eee Pad Transformer

Guest PaulOBrien

For the past couple of days I have been working on creating a ClockworkMod recovery image for the Asus Eee Pad Transformer. I'm pleased to announce that the first Beta release is available! :)

Some points to note - READ THESE CAREFULLY!

• Use at your own risk! I have successfully used the backup and restore functionality (nandroid) subject to the caveats below, and am currently testing other functions.
  • The boot and recovery partitions are currently not accessible from recovery / booted up, so this is a 'fake flash' recovery at this time. Hopefully this will change in the future.
  • The above means that boot / recovery cannot be backed up, but also cannot be edited from update zips.
  • The USB mount function does not work at this time (planned for a future update).

I have packaged the recovery as a signed update zip. To use, you must put it on the External SD of your device (/Removable/MicroSD) named 'EP101_SDUPDATE.zip'.
    • 3.0.1.4 r1 Beta - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 5c20f78385b0232a53f0b5939c505531

Launching Recovery

To boot ClockworkMod Recovery, either:

[*]Turn the device on while holding the volume down button and press the volume up button when prompted

[*]Download the OPTIONAL 99p 'Transformer Recovery Boot' application from the Android Market (NOTE: This app is completely optional - if you do use it, thanks for your support!

Source / Updates

I'll be posting the device profile and source changes on my GitHub shortly, and will issue fixes / new Betas as required.

Enjoy! :)

P

tf101recovery.jpeg

Guest ritdaw

Not sure what I'm doing wrong - I keep getting the android figure and the exclamation mark when trying to boot into recovery? Probably being dim, I also accidentally wiped my tab, lucky I haven't configured much yet!

Guest ritdaw
So you downloaded the file, and put it on your External SD card as EP101_SDUPDATE.zip?

P

Ignore me, I was being dim. Thought I'd copied it across from sdcard to removable but I hadn't.... Working now.

Apologies, feel free to delete my rubbish posts!

Edited by ritdaw

Hey Paul,

Your link to the recovery boot app has an extra x in which is breaking the link - I'm assuming it was meant to be https://market.android.com/details?id=com.m...merrecoveryboot

Thanks for the hard work on this - I'm simply stunned with the speed at which you manage to roll out these recoveries and ROMs these days!

Thanks for the heads up, fixed!

P

Guest JeffSmith215

Hey Paul,

Just got my Transformer today and I too get the Android Exclamation mark when trying to install. File is named fine and in right place so not quite sure what I have done wrong?

As soon as I turned device on from box it did do an automatic firmware update and is now on HRI66.WW_epad-8.2.3.6-20110414 with kernel 2.6.36.3-00001-gf6b9fe9android@Mercury #1 - maybe this is causing an issue?

Welcome any thoughts!

Guest ritdaw
Hey Paul,

Just got my Transformer today and I too get the Android Exclamation mark when trying to install. File is named fine and in right place so not quite sure what I have done wrong?

As soon as I turned device on from box it did do an automatic firmware update and is now on HRI66.WW_epad-8.2.3.6-20110414 with kernel 2.6.36.3-00001-gf6b9fe9android@Mercury #1 - maybe this is causing an issue?

Welcome any thoughts!

The latest update stops this mod from working, please all avoid installing the update until Paul is back.

Guest JeffSmith215
The latest update stops this mod from working, please all avoid installing the update until Paul is back.

Thanks for the heads up - makes sense now I see the update is signed.

Unfortunately, the new devices are auto-updating as soon as you switch them on and run through the Android setup so not sure folk will be able to stop the update :)

I have no doubt Paul will fix when he has time....

Stupid question but do I have to keep the microsd card in after it's flashed? Bit confused because it says about not being able to write to the recovery or something :S . I can't find my spare one and the only other one I could use is in my phone but it'd need that back

Guest kenblat

Dear Paul,

After update to the latest ASUS OTA (correct me if i'm wrong about the method hehehe) i use the SD method... result successful boot up as epad_ww_8.2.3.9.

But after that i can't make the CM recovery from you working anymore ... after press the volume up it just show the copy progress about 2 sec and immediately change to the triangle with exclamation mark inside ... and stuck there forever...

I tried to format my sdcard and recopied your script again with the proper name EP101_SDUPDATE.zip. Even try to wipe data and redo the boot up recovery but all efforts did not WORK.

OMG i really miss your HR1 rom and now the latest HR3, NOW stuck with ASUS origin 8.2.3.9 without any methods to restore the old firmware as well.

Any suggestion from all PROs here?

TIA

EDIT: just read the posts above .... so we must wait for the fixed from Paul!

Edited by kenblat

Guest kenblat

do we have any methods for undo the update?

TIA

Guest jasonf925

I'm confused about the update breaking this..

I am on 03/25 release..I did setup my google account, went to updates, it said there were no updates available.. just wanted to check what version i was on .

So I flashed CWM, rebooted. It had wiped /data as i was presented with the startup wizard. I clicked skip for wifi and password as i planned on flashing a rom through recovery.. so at this point there is no wifi password entered, and no open wifi available. obviously I also did not setup my google account..

I rebooted into recovery, did a backup. Then rebooted into the system. went back to recovery to flash a rom, but it no longer loads CWM. I get the ! after a few seconds. So I'm curious why it was ok but now stopped when I wasnt connected to any network for it to take an update, how could it have updated itself? Is this the same thing everyone else is experiencing?

Edit: Nevermind I guess I was doing it wrong. duh. it doesnt flash to the transformer so after I booted it in CWM I thought i could delete the file from the SD card.. put it back on and its working now.. =)

Edited by jasonf925

Guest joshF

Ok I have root and install clockwork from this link.

http://kan.gd/frm

Now I have clockworkmod 3.0.2.8

This would be great but clockworkmod 3.0.2.8 when it tries to mount the SDcard to get a zip off it it says "E:Can't mount /sdcard".

I have tried putting EP101_SDUPDATE.zip under the external SDcard but it still boots up into 3.0.2.8.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Josh

Guest Deus_ex11
Ok I have root and install clockwork from this link.

http://kan.gd/frm

Now I have clockworkmod 3.0.2.8

This would be great but clockworkmod 3.0.2.8 when it tries to mount the SDcard to get a zip off it it says "E:Can't mount /sdcard".

I have tried putting EP101_SDUPDATE.zip under the external SDcard but it still boots up into 3.0.2.8.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Josh

I just happened to see this on the XDA site from redmongoose. Somebody else also said to make sure your card is recognised before you reboot to CWM.

Originally Posted by jimbo2412

After doing this i tried to backup in recovery but im getting "E:Can't mount /sdcard/" what is causing this.

I actually tried 4 different cards all with the same result. Interestingly they all worked ok in my phone !

I ran fix permissions through CWM on the phone for each of the cards and now they all work fine on the transformer :-D

Guest g6hoq

I hate clockworkmod...

every time I try and install it, I cant get it to do what it should.... cant get my LD 2x to go, and now my Asus instead of installing, has reset back to factory setting... gnash.

I know its my stupidness, but I did get my old Vega up to Pauls latest rom.... might be something to do with not using CWM...

are there any newby guides in this forum for the Tranformer?

Regards

Steve

Guest Clu883r

Like some posters here, clockworkmod will only show me the android bot with a tie and the exclamation mark.

I'm so frustrated I can't use my transformer right now.

I'm a foreigner living in China and here, the stock image come without Gmail/Gtalk/Android Market apps.

Since my build number is a CN one I can't upgrade to another official FW from Asus.

I'm really counting on the clockworkmod brought by Paul to flash MoDaCo Custom ROM.

Thank you very much for the good work !

Guest bluezz44

On my Desire HD, I'm used to "wiping cache" and "wiping data/factory reset" before I flash a new rom. On my Transformer, when I do that it wipes my internal memory (the built in 16 gig) !

Not sure if this is a bug in CWM or am I not supposed to wipe the above two before flashing a rom on my Transformer? :unsure:

Guest eBug
For the past couple of days I have been working on creating a ClockworkMod recovery image for the Asus Eee Pad Transformer. I'm pleased to announce that the first Beta release is available! :unsure:

Some points to note - READ THESE CAREFULLY!

• Use at your own risk! I have successfully used the backup and restore functionality (nandroid) subject to the caveats below, and am currently testing other functions.
  • The boot and recovery partitions are currently not accessible from recovery / booted up, so this is a 'fake flash' recovery at this time. Hopefully this will change in the future.
  • The above means that boot / recovery cannot be backed up, but also cannot be edited from update zips.
  • The USB mount function does not work at this time (planned for a future update).

Hello,

I'm part of a bunch of people on xda trying to flash a custom cwm recovery on Acer Iconia A500 and we think we can use part of your work to do that, if you don't mind.

ATM, we're trying to find out how the partition table is on the Transformer, more exactly what is the mount point for recovery partition. Is it /dev/mmcblk0p4 ?

Thank for your help