12 Sep Hr9: MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Asus Eee Pad Transformer with Online Kitchen (Android 3.2)

Guest PaulOBrien

stockstyletf1.png

tfhr9about.png

I'm pleased to present my MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Asus Eee Pad Transformer! READ THIS WHOLE POST BEFORE YOU START! No, really, it contains everything you need to know. :)

About MoDaCo Custom ROMs

MoDaCo Custom ROMs are based on official ROMs - either shipping or leaked. A MCR release is designed to feel as far as possible like a stock ROM, with optimisations, tweaks and complimentary additions that enhance the user experience. The aim of a MCR is to be ultra reliable for use on an everyday device.

Requirements

In order to use this ROM you must have ClockworkMod Recovery installed - see my ClockworkMod Beta post for details.

Features Included (many optional via the Online Kitchen)

• Based on the WW 8.6.5.9 update (Android 3.2)
  • Rebuilt, compressed and optimised with the MCR build system
  • MoDaCo Custom Kernel r3 - patched to the latest release with performance tweaks and TUN / CIFS modules
  • terminfo support
  • init.d support
  • Insecure ADB (support for 'adb remount' etc.)
  • Optimised mounts and other settings
  • Busybox installed
  • Rooted with Superuser installed
  • Deodexed
  • Includes 'custom blob' for insecure boot and custom recovery (4.0.0.5)
  • Updated Google components
  • Updated third party components
  • And more!

Changelog

Please see the post below this one for the changes in each release.

Installation

To install this ROM:

• Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and copy to your device's external SD card (/Removable/MicroSD) - you must used a physical microSD card!
    • Restart your device in recovery mode
    • PERFORM A NANDROID BACKUP FROM THE MENU
    • Select the option to apply an update zip, and select the zip file you copied to your memory card.

Download

[*]Hr9 - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid)

Thanks

It's impossible to mention everyone who contributes to the Android community by name, but to everyone out there who does great work and shares it with us all - you have my gratitude and respect.

Future Updates - READ THIS!

By providing this ROM I am not implying in any way that future updates will follow. Due to limits on my time and the fact that I have a large number of devices for short periods of time, it isn't possible for me to continue providing ROM updates indefinitely. Please do not donate / sign up on the assumption that future releases will be available (I don't want you to be disappointed!).

I no longer have access to an Asus Transformer, so this ROM is no longer being updated.

The download and kitchen will continue to be available should anyone wish to use anything from the ROM - feel free to contact me via PM with any questions.

And finally...

If you would like to show your appreciation for the ROM, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo Ad Free or MoDaCo Plus account, both of which also give you early access to Beta releases and access to the the online kitchens.

Enjoy! :)

P

There may be a short wait while the load balancing software determines the best kitchen to serve your ROM. The kitchen should appear below within 20 seconds.

Changelog

12 Sep Hr9

• Now includes MoDaCo Custom Kernel (mck) r3 - based on the new kernel release with various tweaks and improvements
  • Updated to the new 8.6.5.9 release
  • Updated all components, completely rebased and reoptimised

29 Jun Hr8

• Now includes MoDaCo Custom Kernel (mck) r2 - based on the new kernel release with various tweaks and improvements
    • TUN and CIFS modules included
    • Blob updated to include ClockworkMod 4.0.0.5 (conventional style - using external sd, backing up / wiping internal media)
    • Updated Google Maps
    • Updated Google Music

01 Jun Hr7

• Updated to UK 8.4.4.5 release - Android 3.1!
      • Optional stock / MCK / 8.2.9.13 kernels
      • Updated Spare Parts (3.1 SDK)

26 May Hr6

• MoDaCo Custom Kernel r1 - patched to the latest release with performance tweaks and TUN / CIFS modules

17 May Hr5

• Updated to the .13 US release (including the keyboar dock update)
          • Updated 'blob'
          • Reverted to Asus buttons (Xoom / stock style buttons to come in online kitchen)

4 May Hr4

[*]Deodexed

[*]Now include Blob v5 for insecure boot and custom recovery

[*]Bluetooth fix

27 Apr Hr3

[*]Rebased on the OTA update (20110423)

[*]Removed stock auto-update system

[*]Replaced custom Asus button graphics with stock Honeycomb images (a-la-Xoom)

26 Apr Hr2

[*]Rebased on the OTA update (20110414)

14 Apr Hr1

• Initial Release

It's a bit annoying that the stock ROM is odexed and there are no tools yet to deodex (due to the lack of Honeycomb source)... it limits what we can do with custom ROMs.

P

I've frozen a couple of the stock apps with Easy Freezy </shameless plug> :) and it feels pretty slick now. Thankfully the Transformer is pretty free of bloat... first thing I always do is disable the PC suite parts on the phone tho! :)

P

Guest Scott9824
I've frozen a couple of the stock apps with Easy Freezy </shameless plug> :) and it feels pretty slick now. Thankfully the Transformer is pretty free of bloat... first thing I always do is disable the PC suite parts on the phone tho! :)

P

You've sold it to me. :) I'm glad you sell in GBP as I avoid buying in any other currency due to fees. Google need to sort that out!

Guest ritdaw

P

Seems to hang when I freeze apps? If I reboot the transformer is shows the app as frozen, so it must be working. Any ideas?

Guest Abnormal1

P

Any chance you could tell us what you froze.

Neil

Guest redmongoose
You've sold it to me. :) I'm glad you sell in GBP as I avoid buying in any other currency due to fees. Google need to sort that out!

I did as well until I was told about a prepaid us $ credit card. You can get one from fairfx

If you sign up via the link it will cost you nothing (normally £9.95) and the card will be with you in a couple of days. Top up with a small amount (£10/£20 whatever) and start using it

I works very well and now means .99 cents apps cost just that not £4 or so!! Paul will vouch for them I am sure as I know he uses them too.

Please note - I do get a paid referrers fee from fairfx (£2.50) but you get the card for free!! - They also do a Euro card

Guest Scott9824
I did as well until I was told about a prepaid us $ credit card. You can get one from fairfx

If you sign up via the link it will cost you nothing (normally £9.95) and the card will be with you in a couple of days. Top up with a small amount (£10/£20 whatever) and start using it

I works very well and now means .99 cents apps cost just that not £4 or so!! Paul will vouch for them I am sure as I know he uses them too.

Please note - I do get a paid referrers fee from fairfx (£2.50) but you get the card for free!! - They also do a Euro card

Ah good call. Great I'll have a look and get one. I don't mind using your referral link, after all, you did refer me. :)

Guest blondejon

after the wonders you performed with the Orange San Francisco I have no hesitation is trying this out....awesome stuff, must remember to move video to sd card next time as backing up some films was pointless

Guest mr_bridger

Good work there Paul, This looks very tempting, was planning on rooting and installing this, but as yet I see no way back to stock. How will installing this affect any updates from Asus (assuming there is at some point)??

Guest Abnormal1
Good work there Paul, This looks very tempting, was planning on rooting and installing this, but as yet I see no way back to stock. How will installing this affect any updates from Asus (assuming there is at some point)??

Im fairly sure that as long as you use clockworkmod first to backup the system then you will be able to use that to revert back.