Charging over USB

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest AshtonBRSC

Mine very slowly trickle charges when the screen is off.

It goes up about 10% if I leave it overnight connected to the computer!

Might be faster if connected to something like a Mac which, I think, is capable of pumping out more current (1A?) because they expect it to be used to charge iPhones and iPads.

Edited by AshtonBRSC

Guest mimminito

Mine does not either. Its really annoying as if you aer devving on it, the battery will drain and you will ahve to charge for hour or two then use again!

There is a small note inside the box, which states(on the back) that charging should be done via the mains. If you want to charge via usb, the device has to be off or in standby mode (screen off).

Its damn annoying tbh, maybe you can hack this about Paul :)

Guest Putzy

USB charging doesn't seem to work too well, even on a Mac. Last night I kept it plugged into my iMac, and it increased about 12%... I'm wondering if there is something in the wall adaptor that allows 'fast charging', or if it is something in the kernal restricting it.

Guest Matchstick
USB charging doesn't seem to work too well, even on a Mac. Last night I kept it plugged into my iMac, and it increased about 12%... I'm wondering if there is something in the wall adaptor that allows 'fast charging', or if it is something in the kernal restricting it.

The wall charger is special and aparently sends 12v instead of the 5v that USB normally sends (it uses extra pins in the USB plug and cable that aren't normally used to send this higher voltage)

Guest Adam_J
The wall charger is special and aparently sends 12v instead of the 5v that USB normally sends (it uses extra pins in the USB plug and cable that aren't normally used to send this higher voltage)

I noticed this on the supplied PSU adapter - there are two outputs mentioned (in very small text), so thought it must be outputting the high one when connected to the wall as PC USB would never supply enough.... (unless you have a few days spare!)

Has anyone found any replacement PSU / USB Docking cables anywhere? - I guess it's a bit early, but I would like to have a standard desk dock/charge mechanism..... (don't have or want the keyboard dock though)

Edited by Adam_J

Guest rebski

My concern is with keeping the device going on long journeys of 14 hour duration.

In which case would something lilke the Energizer xp8000 (output 5V - 19V) work?

http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/my/products/xp8000/

A portable device that requires a mains AC adapter to charge is a bit self defeating but then I see that the Xoom is the same. So maybe it is a general 10" tablet issue.

Guest Bobby Elliott
Mine doesn't, but I thought it did when I got it. Can anyone confirm? :)

P

Has anyanyone tried to charge the device using a mains powered USB charger?

Guest Johnrg
My concern is with keeping the device going on long journeys of 14 hour duration.

In which case would something lilke the Energizer xp8000 (output 5V - 19V) work?

http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/my/products/xp8000/

A portable device that requires a mains AC adapter to charge is a bit self defeating but then I see that the Xoom is the same. So maybe it is a general 10" tablet issue.

I doubt that will work. It only provides the standard 5V over USB. It will charge the tablet when its switched off, but thats just the same as having it in the PC.

Have you ordered the keyboard? That is supposed to take the battery life to 16 hours, and of course, I bet the keyboard will charge better over USB as it doesn't draw any power... when not connected to the tablet that is. I guess until any of us get them from ASUS we'l not know just yet.

Guest rebski
I doubt that will work. It only provides the standard 5V over USB. It will charge the tablet when its switched off, but thats just the same as having it in the PC.

With respect but it seems that you didn't actually read the information before you responded. What you say would be self evident if the output was in fact restricted to only 5V

My post was in response to the previous post which confirmed the information

The wall charger is special and aparently sends 12v instead of the 5v that USB normally sends

However, I specifically selected this particular Energizer model as it has a switchable output with the range from 5v to 19V.

So to further clarify, if the Transformer requires an input of 12V to charge then logically the Energizer xp8000 if set to 12V should charge the device? Sorry but I had assumed that all of that was implicit in the tech spec of the xp8000.

Guest SilentMobius
With respect but it seems that you didn't actually read the information before you responded. What you say would be self evident if the output was in fact restricted to only 5V

My post was in response to the previous post which confirmed the information

However, I specifically selected this particular Energizer model as it has a switchable output with the range from 5v to 19V.

So to further clarify, if the Transformer requires an input of 12V to charge then logically the Energizer xp8000 if set to 12V should charge the device? Sorry but I had assumed that all of that was implicit in the tech spec of the xp8000.

The question is does the transformer psu provide +12 on the same USB pin that would normally hold +5v?

If not then you xp8000 will not work

Guest rebski
The question is does the transformer psu provide +12 on the same USB pin that would normally hold +5v?

If not then you xp8000 will not work

That is a good point. So in theory the xp8000 should work but it depends on pin matching.

There is the same issue I believe with the Dell Streak. Some of these portable power chargers work with the Streak and some don't.

Time will tell I expect.

Guest mr_bridger

I would imagine (though without seeing a pinout its hard to tell) that the extra 5 pins in the supplied cable / charger, will be supplying the 12v, it could be dangerous to the device if you sent 12v up the 5v pin. The cable is clearly marked with a + sign next to these symbol. Not sure if this is just a Asus standard tho.

Guest bobcatuk

If anyone is looking for a USB extension cable, I picked up a USB 3 cable and it powers the device fine, it did not when I was using USB 2, just thought I would let you know as the length of the supplied charger was an issue for me, but not any longer with a USB 3 cable :)

Guest GMScribe
If anyone is looking for a USB extension cable, I picked up a USB 3 cable and it powers the device fine, it did not when I was using USB 2, just thought I would let you know as the length of the supplied charger was an issue for me, but not any longer with a USB 3 cable :)

Very handy to know as I had the same issue. It's clear that the 12v is provided over a different pin. If you have an Asus motherboard there's an Ai Charger software on their website that can boost the current supplied to USB on some of their devices.

I'd be curious to know if this trickle charge works if it's going via the keyboard add-on when the device is on or not.

Edited by GMScribe

Guest mimminito
Very handy to know as I had the same issue. It's clear that the 12v is provided over a different pin. If you have an Asus motherboard there's an Ai Charger software on their website that can boost the current supplied to USB on some of their devices.

I'd be curious to know if this trickle charge works if it's going via the keyboard add-on when the device is on or not.

Ive got an Asus mobo at home. Ill see if I can get that working. Its really annoying as a developer, as constantly using it for testing drains the battery, and so it kinda slows you down when you have to charge it :)

• 5 months later...

I'm very interested in this thread, cause I'm installing a Viewpad as a car computer.

Well, I also saw the 10-pin miniUSB plug, and I also thought that there was 5V and 12V for quick charge.

So, ...I cut the cable to inspect it. There are only two little cables inside: one red and another black.

Then, I joined theese two cables to a normal car charger, and, ...it works! The charge is as quick as the original wall charger!

The problem is that original 10 pin USB is too large for my car integration, and I need an angled one.

So, I analize continuity of original pinout:

red: pin 1, 6, 7

black: pin 5, 8, 9, 10

..and I use a solder to build another one.

After solder the pins, I tested outputs and were ok, but, ...it doesn't charge quick. It just charge as normal USB.

I don't know if there is something wrong. Anyone can help me?

Perhaps there is a bridge between 2,3,4 pins, but I don't know.

I'm desperate.