eeePad Video Playback

Guest keef319

Guest keef319

Hi Guys.

Got my eeePad Transformer yesterday.

Video playback is important to me so want to get the best settings.

I've installed Rock Player Lite as the standard app will only play mp4 and mkv (apparently)

I can get the m4v (mp4 from Handbrake) working ok. and avi's (through Rock Player) ok too.

I've tried a 1280x720 -x264- MKV file but with little success. The standard player shows mostly green, Rock Player - good pic but frame rate really choppy.

Am I missing something?!?!

Guest SilentMobius
Hi Guys.

Got my eeePad Transformer yesterday.

Video playback is important to me so want to get the best settings.

I've installed Rock Player Lite as the standard app will only play mp4 and mkv (apparently)

I can get the m4v (mp4 from Handbrake) working ok. and avi's (through Rock Player) ok too.

I've tried a 1280x720 -x264- MKV file but with little success. The standard player shows mostly green, Rock Player - good pic but frame rate really choppy.

Android does not play MKV's natively. Native playback is the only way to make use of the Tegra2's hardware decoding. Rockplayer is just an ARM port of ffmpeg, its 100%CPU so it will always be _very_ slow.

You want 720p Baseline profile h.264 in an mp4 container

Edited by SilentMobius

Guest Adam_J

I got mine a couple of days ago to replace an Advent Vega (with distorted sound output from the headphone socket), as some of my main requirements are for good video / sound playback.

I've tried a few and as per the post above most seem to decode in software and have terrible frame rates.

I've found that VitalPlayer seems to play mkv films smoothly and uses hardware decoding (if not formatted 100% correctly)

Has anyone else found a good flv / mkv / ts / avi / mpeg player which uses hardware decoding???

Guest Simon O
Has anyone else found a good flv / mkv / ts / avi / mpeg player which uses hardware decoding???

You won't find one that uses the GPU since it only supports main profile MP4. Just convert your videos. Freemake Video Converter will do the job using either the Apple TV or Android profiles. For best quality use the Apple TV option. The GPU will decode this.

Guest keef319
You won't find one that uses the GPU since it only supports main profile MP4. Just convert your videos. Freemake Video Converter will do the job using either the Apple TV or Android profiles. For best quality use the Apple TV option. The GPU will decode this.

I shall give it a go. Want to make the most of the 1280 x 720 screen!!

I tried converting an 720 MKV file to M4V with Handbrake using an Apple setting but it just wouldn't replay properly. So it NEEDS to me mp4...M4V is not good enough, even though it's classed as an mp4 file (if my understanding is correct)?

Guest keef319
1280x800. :)

P

Yeah alright Paul...picky! lol.

Does anyone have the correct settings for the eeePad?

I've taken an MKV file, converted to mp4, yet it doesn't recognise it as a file that the "system" can play...I'm confused...!

I thought lots of people would be looking for answers to this, or is it just me that got a tablet for viewing good quality video files?

Guest Simon O

I was told about Freemake by an ASUS employee and he has been using the Apple TV preset but apparently the Android preset works too, just slightly worse quality.

Guest GMScribe
AHA! I finally have the video playing perfectly! Looks lush, crisp and smooth!! It was really starting to get to me! LOL!!

What did you do to achieve this?

None of this makes sense, looking on the nvidia developer forums, users are having no trouble with high bit-rate main profile 1080p encodes and they only hit stuttering when playing high profile 1080p.

http://developer.nvidia.com/tegra/forum/1080p-laggy

I don't get it =S

Guest Simon O
What did you do to achieve this?

None of this makes sense, looking on the nvidia developer forums, users are having no trouble with high bit-rate main profile 1080p encodes and they only hit stuttering when playing high profile 1080p.

http://developer.nvidia.com/tegra/forum/1080p-laggy

I don't get it =S

Video needs to be recoded using MP4 main profile and not high profile. The Tegra2 cannot handle high profile.

Guest GMScribe
Video needs to be recoded using MP4 main profile and not high profile. The Tegra2 cannot handle high profile.

Main profile isn't even working for me, and evidence from that forum shows that it's possible to handle high profile below 1080p at low enough bitrates.

To further support this issue, I can't play the videos they play smoothly, smoothly, they don't open in the default video player shipped and rock player, vplayer etc lagggg.

In the above post, they're able to play without issue a 1920x800 , Main Profile @ L4.0 , 2 Reference Frames, 10.3 megabits average, QuickTime MOV

and I'm unable to handle an average of 2.9 megabits (max 8) in main profile and that's .mp4

Edited by GMScribe

Guest SilentMobius
Main profile isn't even working for me, and evidence from that forum shows that it's possible to handle high profile below 1080p at low enough bitrates.

To further support this issue, I can't play the videos they play smoothly, smoothly, they don't open in the default video player shipped and rock player, vplayer etc lagggg.

In the above post, they're able to play without issue a 1920x800 , Main Profile @ L4.0 , 2 Reference Frames, 10.3 megabits average, QuickTime MOV

and I'm unable to handle an average of 2.9 megabits (max 8) in main profile and that's .mp4

At the moment all the Tegra2 Honeycomb tablets are quoting baseline playback only, the SOC is capable of Main profile. But the nvidia HC binaries are not up to it right now, no idea why. Hell the SOC is supposed to handle 720p High profile.

Guest ultravox

For me, the lack of a large codec playback it's a major issue. Convert it's not a n option. Of of the tablet's main functions is media playback. Even with batchs process it's not a viable solution. At least for me.

This reminds me a similar situation: when I moved from my qtek 9000 to a HTC HD (blackstone) I just couldn't believe that the newer device couldn't play the same files I played on the qtek... I decided to buy a netbook

I was looking to buy one, but this "issue" makes me wonder if I shouldn't wait for another option... The netbook will keep it's place.

Edited by ultravox

Guest RyanCH

First time on Modaco. Planning to buy the transformer when it is available in the Netherlands.

Quick question, now that Paul has enabled almost the full capacity of tegra 2 with his custom rom, has anyone tried video playback of avi, mkv, rmvb etc files to see whether they are still stuttering? Cheers!

Guest Simon O
First time on Modaco. Planning to buy the transformer when it is available in the Netherlands.

Quick question, now that Paul has enabled almost the full capacity of tegra 2 with his custom rom, has anyone tried video playback of avi, mkv, rmvb etc files to see whether they are still stuttering? Cheers!

Honeycomb doesn't support native playback of MKV AVI etc so you need to use Rockplayer which isn't optimized for Tegra2 yet.

Guest RyanCH
Honeycomb doesn't support native playback of MKV AVI etc so you need to use Rockplayer which isn't optimized for Tegra2 yet.

yeah I read that somewhere else, but even with Rock player now with full capacity of the CPU, no improvements???

Guest SilentMobius

What Paul can achieve is limited by the binaries that are available from Nvidia.

Rockplayer will only ever use the CPU and will always stutter more than hardware accelerated playback.

MKV, AVI are container formats and need to be built in at the platform level if the video streams inside are to play with hardware acceleration, without the source for Honeycomb we can't add to the framework.

Guest GMScribe
What Paul can achieve is limited by the binaries that are available from Nvidia.

Rockplayer will only ever use the CPU and will always stutter more than hardware accelerated playback.

MKV, AVI are container formats and need to be built in at the platform level if the video streams inside are to play with hardware acceleration, without the source for Honeycomb we can't add to the framework.

I've worked out that the default player will accelerate without issue any Main profile level 3.1 but struggles with 4.0 for some reason but for now main 3.1 seems to give me the best quality, certainly better than any baseline alternatives.

Still though I know from reading about it that the tegra can do more and want to see this all fixed =( The 720p flash video that I said played almost perfectly with subs turned out to be high profile level 4 mp4 under the hood so there's hope yet!

Guest my_big_feet

I experienced green-ness when I tried to play an x264 video I encoded myself.

I had to re-encode with B-Frames turned off to fix it.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest AzJazz

I tried converting a Blu-Ray DVD into an MP4 using FreeMake with the Apple TV profile.

The playback was very jumpy for me. Is there something I did wrong?

Thanks,

AzJazz

Guest Neron

Checked the Rock Player Site they have a hardware optimised version for Tegra 2 avaible for download

1.7.2 for Tegra2 Platform

Specific for Toshiba Folio AS100, Motorola XOOM, Malata ZPad T20, etc

http://updates.anplayer.com/rockplayer/Roc...v3d16-1.7.2.apk

Guest Bonzo1
For me, the lack of a large codec playback it's a major issue. Convert it's not a n option. Of of the tablet's main functions is media playback. Even with batchs process it's not a viable solution. At least for me.

This reminds me a similar situation: when I moved from my qtek 9000 to a HTC HD (blackstone) I just couldn't believe that the newer device couldn't play the same files I played on the qtek... I decided to buy a netbook

I was looking to buy one, but this "issue" makes me wonder if I shouldn't wait for another option... The netbook will keep it's place.

I agree, this issue is a very large deal breaker!

Guest SilentMobius
Checked the Rock Player Site they have a hardware optimised version for Tegra 2 avaible for download

1.7.2 for Tegra2 Platform

Specific for Toshiba Folio AS100, Motorola XOOM, Malata ZPad T20, etc

http://updates.anplayer.com/rockplayer/Roc...v3d16-1.7.2.apk

Optimised for the Tegra2 ARM core, this is just like compiling for a pentium with SSE, this is _not_ hardware acceleration, its just _slightly_ faster software rendering.

Edited by SilentMobius

Guest Neron
Optimised for the Tegra2 ARM core, this is just like compiling for a pentium with SSE, this is _not_ hardware acceleration, its just _slightly_ faster software rendering.

Cool thanks for the confirmation and clarification! :unsure: