A "short" rant about the current state of affairs.

Guest jtc42

Guest Victor von Zeppelin
I have to agree...

Not to worry, CM forums are still free of angry nerds.

much better place for devs. not so good for a bit of banter tho, like this forum WAS.

I wish I could contribute a little; starting a computer science degree soon so hopefully i will be able to. :)

I've noticed this influx of douchebags on quite a few hacking-style/user-improvement projects; i think its because its becoming more accessible to people, the wrong type of people; people who might be perfectly well mannered in Life, but since they can hide behind the internet they think its acceptable to behave like tossers. its happened with psp, iphone, ps3 (extremely bad), and now the zte blade.

I have just learnt to sift through the rubbish. :)

For the Blade, the CM forums are pretty much free of people, too.

It's a shame what has happened to what can only be described as the biggest forum section MoDaCo has had in recent times. but that's what comes with popularity. It's also why I've just sorta given up on my CM7 topic. You can't win against the dumb majority.

Indeed, CM7 was a double ended sword. Indeed, it is the best, or at least on it's way to being the best ROM there is, but it's laid a trail of destruction to the lovely pasture that was this forum circa December.

Guest Mushroom_Lord
You can't win against the dumb majority.

Such a good quote: May put that in my sig.

Seriously though, I agree: people often even just post the same bug over and over even though its described in the first post/bug tracker!

Honestly, its not going to get them anywhere.

Topic should be pinned:

MoDaCo has warning, right? :)

People who don't have the intelligence to appreciate what is being done for them shouldn't get the support for free :)

Yes, I know that was a complete copy of @Azurren's style, but they're awesome :)

Guest Frankish

The same happens with all forums unfortunately. It goes for a Guitar forum i was a member of for years, a games torrent tracker i'm a member of etc. The more popular a forum section gets the more members flood in.

What we have to remember is that for every couple of hundred noobs we do end up gettingone or two genuine contributors. You got to take the rough with the smooth :)

Guest geegeethatsme

What an excellent and balanced first post. Like the OP I bought my SF last October, largely on the back of having found MCR and been impressed by the jointery and sharing of ideas/experiences. Following Paul's 'how to' guides I launched into the world of flashing roms and I think I've since tried pretty much every one that has been offered by the devs, surprising myself along the way with some minor coding and adaptation, but always secure in the knowledge that there would be some wise soul in the forums able to help if things went beyond my grasp. I've stuck now with SS Rls3 which is the best I've tried for my needs. It has been a depressing experience watching the 'debate' deteriorate into repetition, cant and downright rudeness. As has been noted that may be the price of the Blade's popularity. I do hope it won't drive the genuine contributors away.

Guest Fou-lu
As has been noted that may be the price of the Blade's popularity. I do hope it won't drive the genuine contributors away.

avoid popularity if you would have peace, fits here nicely.

I would just like to add a "here here" to the comments made by the original poster.

I have been on these forums for a couple of years now... for a long time as a lurker who just passively absorbed all the information helpfully being given by the members of the Pulse forum. It was my first port of call every morning when I logged on to the internet to see what exciting new developments had taken place overnight. It was Fibblesan's fantastic support to that device that made me decide to move to the Blade when he gave it such a glowing report.

More recently I have even felt able to join the debate and contribute the tiny bit of knowledge I have while also finding it an invaluable place to ask questions or seach for reassurance from other users. Sad then , when recently I contributed only to be cut down with sarcasm... It rather discourages me from further posts. But then I remind myself that there are a lot of fantastic contributors on here such as Frankish, Kallt_Kaffe, Hecatae, Fibblesan, Paul and many more, who do provide a wealth of information, without which I would still be using a sluggish stock ROM. So... thank you, and love thy virtual neighbour.

Guest t0mm13b

Can I add something to this?

Am a developer myself too, and have a regular job also, and believe in the philosophy of being open source, transparency, honesty. And use whatever open source tools there are at my disposal.

After reading this thread and seeing how this forum has become a "breeding ground" for some who act the "maggots", (do not want to induce flamewars, trolling etc)and object about CM7 and the upgrade to gen2... it saddens me and also shocks me to see some objecting...

As for those moaning about warranties... this will be very clear...

Your warranty was voided since you bought the blade, unlocked it, flashed clockworkmod, flashed a rom on it... so .... stop complaining and get on with it...

Also the disclaimer was put in place but because some of them users *did* not bother to read the thread and jumped the bandwagon...

I even put up a guide on how to upgrade to gen2 from the IRC channel last night and its ok.... no harm done, at least by showing a bit of more respect to the devs, flash your handset to gen2 to show support to the CM7 crew especially HCDRJacob and TomG, if you don't want to flash, then get left behind and be stuck... your choice... but DO NOT TAKE IT OUT ON THE DEVS... Christ.... HCDRJacob is still in school, TomG has a 9-5 job, and both managed to get an extra band "fitted on to our blades".... they dedicated their time as well... there's a good few guys around, Victor, fonix232, Hecatae.... and more lurking on the irc....

Do your bit, grow up and show support, you want to bitch... take it elsewhere and lets get some community back into this .... and more importantly.... have fun... FUN....

P.S: My sig underneath says it all...

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest rwalton159
I've gone and bought a Defy! I know i'm crazy it has a locked bootloader :)

However it has a stable Froyo (Official i think?)

Overclock as far as 1.2ghz.

Flash 10 support!

Better camera with flash.

Almost 100% working Desire HD Sense rom port.

CM7 port just needs ril fixing and a few other bits...not too far off now i hope.

Larger screen than SF.

You're help is top notch and its a shame you've bought something else. Our loss their gain.

:)

Guest Victor von Zeppelin
Can I add something to this?

Am a developer myself too, and have a regular job also, and believe in the philosophy of being open source, transparency, honesty. And use whatever open source tools there are at my disposal.

After reading this thread and seeing how this forum has become a "breeding ground" for some who act the "maggots", (do not want to induce flamewars, trolling etc)and object about CM7 and the upgrade to gen2... it saddens me and also shocks me to see some objecting...

As for those moaning about warranties... this will be very clear...

Your warranty was voided since you bought the blade, unlocked it, flashed clockworkmod, flashed a rom on it... so .... stop complaining and get on with it...

Also the disclaimer was put in place but because some of them users *did* not bother to read the thread and jumped the bandwagon...

I even put up a guide on how to upgrade to gen2 from the IRC channel last night and its ok.... no harm done, at least by showing a bit of more respect to the devs, flash your handset to gen2 to show support to the CM7 crew especially HCDRJacob and TomG, if you don't want to flash, then get left behind and be stuck... your choice... but DO NOT TAKE IT OUT ON THE DEVS... Christ.... HCDRJacob is still in school, TomG has a 9-5 job, and both managed to get an extra band "fitted on to our blades".... they dedicated their time as well... there's a good few guys around, Victor, fonix232, Hecatae.... and more lurking on the irc....

Do your bit, grow up and show support, you want to bitch... take it elsewhere and lets get some community back into this .... and more importantly.... have fun... FUN....

P.S: My sig underneath says it all...

+1, and errr, thanks for the mention. I really dunno what I've done in the grand scheme of things...just added a bit of order. And had fun making a webpage :)

Guest iconoclysm

I think a lot of the negativity from blade owners comes from ignorance and habit.

Ignorance of, as has been stated, the fact that these 3rd party roms are being developed by other blade users, not ZTE themselves or employees of ZTE/Orange in their spare time as an attempt to "fix it post release".

And habit, the habit of having to scream until you're blue in the face to maybe get some kind of customer support from any big company. Understandable anger, but terribly mis-directed in this case.

There are of course. the idiotically over entitled lot who think that they deserve the best of everything, all the time, forever, for nothing, and these flumps unfortunately create that atmosphere that otherwise rational adults pick up on.

Those rational people then make the assumption that "well if there are people complaining, there must be something to complain about, so I'd better start shouting to get my voice heard, otherwise I'll get screwed over by those fat cat phone companies again!"...le sigh.

I think the answer is education of those who will listen, and ignoring the entitled minority who bleat about their terrible lot in life. Much like life in general I spose.

Now the more positve side of this is the blade is a fecking great value smartphone, and thanks to the selfless hackers who've worked on them, we've got a great selection of custom roms to fit most every taste.

And finally, if you are disappointed in ALL the custom roms out there, roll back to one of the stock roms that came from orange or whoever and direct your rage at lack of support to the people who you paid your cash to: the company you bought your phone from. See how that works out for you. :)

Edited by iconoclysm

Guest jtc42

You know, the best thing about this, and the reason I'm so glad I took the time to write it and post it, is that the responses are a reminder that the community we knew and loved is still here, albeit drowned out in ordinary posts by the "dumb majority".

I just want to say thanks you to everyone who has contributed to this. Some of your responses are really wonderful and it's so good to know that I'm not the only person who feels this way.

On another note, I did not realize that HCDRJacob is still in school! That's mental! I really hope he sees this post (if anyone has better contact with him than most people then please do send him the link) because he needs to hear from people, undiluted by idiotic whining crap:

His work here is amazing. End of. No buts, no questions asked. What he is doing is IMMENSE and he should absolutely ignore the "dumb majority" and carry on doing what he is doing so well.

Thank you for everything he, and any other developer has done!

Guest Frankish
You know, the best thing about this, and the reason I'm so glad I took the time to write it and post it, is that the responses are a reminder that the community we knew and loved is still here, albeit drowned out in ordinary posts by the "dumb majority".

I just want to say thanks you to everyone who has contributed to this. Some of your responses are really wonderful and it's so good to know that I'm not the only person who feels this way.

On another note, I did not realize that HCDRJacob is still in school! That's mental! I really hope he sees this post (if anyone has better contact with him than most people then please do send him the link) because he needs to hear from people, undiluted by idiotic whining crap:

His work here is amazing. End of. No buts, no questions asked. What he is doing is IMMENSE and he should absolutely ignore the "dumb majority" and carry on doing what he is doing so well.

Thank you for everything he, and any other developer has done!

I think he's 17 in sixth form.

Guest dbeckett

I too bought my blade back in October, I don't reply to posts too often but more observe and track whats happening, but the forums are too popular now. In the past I would have had to be extremely busy for me not to check the forums, but now I barely check them everyday, even if you look at the roms subtopic, its only a subtopic but it still has 30threads that have been updated in the last 24 hours and most of those posts are probably a duplicated question/remark. Its just a confusing mess of repeated information and I just don't have the effort/time to keep track of it, but thats what comes with popularity i suppose

EDIT- just also want to say thanks while im posting this to the "core" blade members, for all their hard work, the forums may be abit of a mess at the minute, but its thanks to them that the blade is so popular and made it such a great device

Edited by dbeckett

Guest Redflake

Sign of the times and todays society.

The nanny state, everyone expects everything will be done for them and someone else will provide for them.

Ignorant and ill manered people who don't know how or even think to thank people for the things given them for free.

It's always somebody elses fault innit.

Me well I've messed about with my blade and installed and tried about every rom going.

Now it wont charge on AC only USB, might be software or hardware fault.

Upgraded it to gen2 so no way to revert to stock to try and get it fixed.

Do I blame anyone, dam right I do. Who, ME ME ME!

I read the posts and all the warnings. :)

Guest StevenHarperUK

I have been very busy with a late Real Life work project that has landed on me.

I completely missed the CM7 GEN2 fiasco - It makes sense to me - support the latest version of the hardware.

I too have RL commitments - but I enjoy passing by here and trying to keep track (in my stickies) of the current situation.

The problem is that ZTE have sold over 30Million of these things - the forums will get busy.

However I am used to dealing with masses of customers (I write software for a JOB) - new technology allows the customers to whine directly at MY customers (the people I write software for)

And guess what: they all don't have IQ's greater than 70 - some of the "reviews" barely contain a word that you could enter into a dictionary site and get a positive hit for.

However I still like to flash my blade and ATM it's still GEN1 and enjoying Swedish Spring - as are the 10-15 people I "support" that have blades.

I hope the devs are not put off by the masses and their lowered global IQ - I am not - sometimes they make me laugh.

Steve

Guest jtc42
I think he's 17 in sixth form.

Awwhhh man way to make me feel suckish. I'm 18 and just finishing sixth form, and what he has done is really incredible for his age! I seriously can't believe that :)

Guest jtc42
I have been very busy with a late Real Life work project that has landed on me.

I completely missed the CM7 GEN2 fiasco - It makes sense to me - support the latest version of the hardware.

I too have RL commitments - but I enjoy passing by here and trying to keep track (in my stickies) of the current situation.

The problem is that ZTE have sold over 30Million of these things - the forums will get busy.

However I am used to dealing with masses of customers (I write software for a JOB) - new technology allows the customers to whine directly at MY customers (the people I write software for)

And guess what: they all don't have IQ's greater than 70 - some of the "reviews" barely contain a word that you could enter into a dictionary site and get a positive hit for.

However I still like to flash my blade and ATM it's still GEN1 and enjoying Swedish Spring - as are the 10-15 people I "support" that have blades.

I hope the devs are not put off by the masses and their lowered global IQ - I am not - sometimes they make me laugh.

Steve

And it's great to know that people "higher up in the food chain" (so to speak) on the forum feel that way. I totally agree that the fact the forums are busy cannot be helped, if anything it's a great thing. More, better ZTE hardware! However, I don't think that's an excuse for how rude a lot of people have become towards the devs.

Thanks for the response though :) Oh and best wishes for whatever the project is that you are involved in :)

Edit: Reading this back, it has a whiff of sarcasm about it. Just wanna be clear thats absolutely not the intention! Sorry if it sounds bad >.<

Edited by jtc42

Guest StevenHarperUK
And it's great to know that people "higher up in the food chain" (so to speak) on the forum feel that way. I totally agree that the fact the forums are busy cannot be helped, if anything it's a great thing. More, better ZTE hardware! However, I don't think that's an excuse for how rude a lot of people have become towards the devs.

Thanks for the response though :) Oh and best wishes for whatever the project is that you are involved in :)

Edit: Reading this back, it has a whiff of sarcasm about it. Just wanna be clear thats absolutely not the intention! Sorry if it sounds bad >.<

Smelled Clean to me : Project is based on getting onto BT Openzone without having to muck about with login screens - works on Android / iPhone & will either work with ANY BTOZ password or get your Orange details for you (when on the Orange data network) assuming you have the bundle.

Almost done now.

Guest MrHicks
The same happens with all forums unfortunately. It goes for a Guitar forum i was a member of for years, a games torrent tracker i'm a member of etc. The more popular a forum section gets the more members flood in.

I've seen the same thing happen with Slashdot, digg and reddit. It seems that the larger the sample size gets, the ratio of constructive to abusive contributions swings further to the right.

Guest Frankish

Defy is here the same day that they get RIL working on CM7 :)

The community there seemed nice and quiet at first but now i know why...they bite the heads off noobs...here we go again :)

Guest jtc42
Smelled Clean to me : Project is based on getting onto BT Openzone without having to muck about with login screens - works on Android / iPhone & will either work with ANY BTOZ password or get your Orange details for you (when on the Orange data network) assuming you have the bundle.

Almost done now.

Oh sweet! Please keep us updated on this, sounds brilliant. I move about quite a lot so that is genuinely really useful to me :)

Guest Mushroom_Lord

Having mulled over this topic I feel guilty about taking so much from this community and giving so little in return. Devs, or anyone , please suggest things that a very bright nearly-fourteen year old could do to help this community.

I need to do something with that brain...

Guest mark2410

whats up with all the hate, i get some people may not but happy about stuff (phone lacking stability does cause problems) but i really dont get the anger thats been abounding

Guest Mushroom_Lord

When people spend so long working so hard on something, and they complete it, it is satisfying. And people will, credit you, you will be proud. But when this gets lost in a wave of ignorance and ingratefulness, quite the opposite happens.

Edited by Mushroom_Lord