A "short" rant about the current state of affairs.

Guest jtc42

Guest geegeethatsme
I remember spending days and days typing in endless listings from magazines for games, my wife would sometimes read them out to me. Then I would spend countless weeks trying to debug then, looking for a gosub with no return etc etc.

Aaaargh! After years of therapy I'd finally put those memories back in a box deep, very deep, in my psyche. And now you've brought them all back out into the light. Up into the loft tomorrow. I'm sure there's a back issue of Atari User up there.

Guest TheManicGibbon

Well, I still use my first computer for all my Windows and Android development!

...but that's because it's a quad core with 6GB of RAM :)

Anyway, I'm impressed by this forum, I never usually join forums unless I feel I can give something back or contribute in a good way, but since I joined this forum I've got more and more involved. I like how this forum does actually feel like a community (take an example of Frankish providing modified themes for people that are subtly different to the ones in the Unified Theme thread, just for one person, because they asked.)

I think this thread shows how the community spirit isn't gone :) and I hope it continues for a long time to come.

Take the controversial Gen 2 move by CM7. It doesn't suit me, because I'm scared to break my handset and I don't really want to change it, but I'm not going to bitch about it, because a lot of devs have put a lot of work into, from what I've seen and read, is an excellent piece of coding. Like was posted a few pages back, someone will eventually bring out a Gen1. But if they don't, its no biggie, because someone coding it all in their spare time, and I'm not going to demand a Gen 1 port of CM7 as a god given right :huh:

I myself am busy with studying and exams, but I try to maintain and add things to my themes, which I did because this forum had inspired me to have a bash myself, and I'm quite proud of what I've achieved, from being a total n00b a few months ago, thanks to info, tutorials and answers to my questions on MoDaCo.

I just don't think people should lose sight of the fact that this is a community, where everyone helps each other :(

Edited by TheManicGibbon

Guest dibbles
Aaaargh! After years of therapy I'd finally put those memories back in a box deep, very deep, in my psyche. And now you've brought them all back out into the light. Up into the loft tomorrow. I'm sure there's a back issue of Atari User up there.

What made it worse for me was when the following issue of the magazine came out to only note that they had misprinted some of the listings.

As for Atari I remember changing my Atari 400 for a 600XL and being rather impressed at the time :)

Then again I remember buying an Oric computer and soon thinking that I was the sole representative of the Oric user club in the UK..!

Guest drasim

I'm loving the trip down memory lane ...being an 80's lad myself I can relate to some of the posts :)

Unfortunately my SF has become second place (by some margin) to my HTC HD2 I've just bought. I did really enjoy the SF and love the community here. I must admit I haven't spent much time lurking here like I used to, so I'm not sure of the flaming that's been pointed out. It's just the HD2 does everything the SF does...a whole lot better.

My SF is still using JJ v1 ....I couldn't be bothered to update it because I've never had any issues with it. If it ain't broke...

Still, i'll keep lurking here ...It's a nice place

Guest Matthew Ferguson

Can we rename this thread to "Nostalgia thread"? :)

Also, I've managed to update 2 OSFs to Gen2 now with no harm. Just saying :)

Guest zerosignull
2400bps?! LUXURY. when i wer' kid, we used fo' bang two bricks t'geth' t' make ones and zeros!

Luxry lad. My first computer were so old it could only process the 0's.

Guest t0mm13b
Luxry lad. My first computer were so old it could only process the 0's.

What happened to the 1's....? :)

(I lolled so hard ..... keep it up! :))