Can't connect to wi-fi network

Guest Bobby Elliott

Guest Bobby Elliott

My Vega can connect to most wifi networks OK but there is one public one that is impossible to connect to. Its an open network and my Android phone has no problem with it. It appears to connect but I then get a "obtaining IP address" message, and it then fails to complete the connection. Any ideas what I can do to fix this?

Guest carl rose
My Vega can connect to most wifi networks OK but there is one public one that is impossible to connect to. Its an open network and my Android phone has no problem with it. It appears to connect but I then get a "obtaining IP address" message, and it then fails to complete the connection. Any ideas what I can do to fix this?

Can you give us more details? What you got installed, what rom, what addon (if any)?

Guest Bobby Elliott
Can you give us more details? What you got installed, what rom, what addon (if any)?

Modocom R8. Laucher Pro Plus. Some extra apps. Pretty standard setup. Connects to home and phone networks OK. Is there an issue with public wifi networks?

Guest trevor432990
Modocom R8. Laucher Pro Plus. Some extra apps. Pretty standard setup. Connects to home and phone networks OK. Is there an issue with public wifi networks?

At a guess (and it is just a guess) you are probably hitting a Wi-fi security issue WEP, WPA, encryption, etc and all that. Have a feeling phones adjust their settings automatically to cope with varying hot-spot requirements. How do you try and connect? If you go to SETTINGS > WI-FI SETTINGS > ADD WI-FI NETWORK it should tell you what security method the hot-spot is using and you 'may' then have to adjust the Vega manually to suit. :)

Guest Bobby Elliott
At a guess (and it is just a guess) you are probably hitting a Wi-fi security issue WEP, WPA, encryption, etc and all that.

Thanks for the suggestion but it's an open network, with no security. Can the Vega play with open networks?

Guest beegee1962
Thanks for the suggestion but it's an open network, with no security. Can the Vega play with open networks?

Yes, no problems. I was using MoDaCo r8 for some months and had no problems. Maybe this "free" network has a hidden security MAC addresses and lets only registered MAC addresses connect. A simple security that I used in the past on my home WiFi as well.

If your MAC address is not registered, you cannot connect. And the network itself appears "open", because no WEP or WPA is applied.

Guest Bobby Elliott
Maybe this "free" network has a hidden security MAC addresses and lets only registered MAC addresses connect.

No. Both my phone and my laptop connect to the network. It's a hotel and I've never had a problem with it before.