Which tablet to get

Guest Richard_Arkless

Guest Richard_Arkless

Hi in may I plan on getting an android tablet out of my next university grant, currently on the pc world website there is 4 android tablets all with the tegra 2 but the 2 im interested in are the

Acer Iconia: 32gb, 1gb ram, wireless n and £449.99

Asus eeepad transformer: 16gb, 1gb ram, wireless n and £379.99

Now out of those 2 I would most likely get the eeepad because of it being in the middle in price range but the problem is that im wondering is there going to be as much of community for it as there is for the vega (e.g. is other people thinking of switching to it, has the xda and cyanogenmod community stated that they will be releasing a custom rom) or should I get the vega which has 512mb storage and ram and is £229.99 and then there is the risk that all the custom rom developers start moving away from the vega and onto the better tablets

But now I think about it, I could get the windows version of the acer iconia and put ubuntu 11.04 on there

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Guest peter a
Hi in may I plan on getting an android tablet out of my next university grant, currently on the pc world website there is 4 android tablets all with the tegra 2 but the 2 im interested in are the

Acer Iconia: 32gb, 1gb ram, wireless n and £449.99

Asus eeepad transformer: 16gb, 1gb ram, wireless n and £379.99

Now out of those 2 I would most likely get the eeepad because of it being in the middle in price range but the problem is that im wondering is there going to be as much of community for it as there is for the vega (e.g. is other people thinking of switching to it, has the xda and cyanogenmod community stated that they will be releasing a custom rom) or should I get the vega which has 512mb storage and ram and is £229.99 and then there is the risk that all the custom rom developers start moving away from the vega and onto the better tablets

But now I think about it, I could get the windows version of the acer iconia and put ubuntu 11.04 on there

Well I got my vega now thinking in a year’s time I may get a second better to replace it.

Because I`m think there in going to be a blood bath with the new generation of tablets, and prices will drop, the same thing happened with netbooks .

( a cheap i386 , would be nice )

I think the new ones are now just over priced versions of the vegas .

Guest Bobby Elliott
Well I got my vega now thinking in a year’s time I may get a second better to replace it.

Because I`m think there in going to be a blood bath with the new generation of tablets, and prices will drop

I agree. That's the real attraction of the Vega. It's fine for the next year or so, while the market matures, after which there will be better devices around than anything on the horizon right now.

The Vega has certainly taught me one thing -- the form factor is fantastic.

Guest Qwertymon

The acers screen is pretty terrible compared to the xoom and considering the price differance Id just get the xoom.

Today I set up apps/demos (multi touch, rockplayer, games, ereader) on the xoom, Gtab and iconia so that my staff have a easier time demoing the devices, Ive got to say im pretty impressed with the xoom (though its base setting for quadrant is only 1.9k wtf?) so I can only assume the hacks make it much better.

The battery life on the iconia is only 5 hours acording to our paperwork and I got very annoyed with its touch screen very quickly (I found the vegas to be better), I would suggets you pay an extra 30 quid and get the xoom.

Guest warriorscot

If a vega wont do the job I would definitely go for a XOOM even if it costs a little more. There are benefits to having the google platform of choice.

Guest phil8715
The acers screen is pretty terrible compared to the xoom and considering the price differance Id just get the xoom.

Today I set up apps/demos (multi touch, rockplayer, games, ereader) on the xoom, Gtab and iconia so that my staff have a easier time demoing the devices, Ive got to say im pretty impressed with the xoom (though its base setting for quadrant is only 1.9k wtf?) so I can only assume the hacks make it much better.

The battery life on the iconia is only 5 hours acording to our paperwork and I got very annoyed with its touch screen very quickly (I found the vegas to be better), I would suggets you pay an extra 30 quid and get the xoom.

I thought the screen on the Vega was pretty good. I've heard people saying the screen is bad. For a £200-£250 tablet you can't go too wrong. The screen on the iPad and Samsung Galaxy Tab are better, well of course they are because they cost double the price.

There are even cheaper tablets than the Vega but won't have as much support. I've seen on eBay the aPad which is a bad copy of the iPad, looks like the iPad but thats about it.

Edited by phil8715

Guest El Nino9

asus's eeepad is awesome and will have a huge community behind it but xooms also in the run but over priced for some people. i wouldnt recommend a vega as hardware is slightly outdated and the screen isn't great with viewing angle and touch screen can be funny. gingerbread has been out for some time and they haven't released an official version devs waiting for honeycomb source, but again probably nothing official will materialise but i hope DSG prove me wrong for all the users who went out and got it

Guest peter a
gingerbread has been out for some time and they haven't released an official version

I`m still waiting for gingerbread on my htc wildfire , The norm is android 2.2 / 2.21

Very few phones with gingerbread , still !!!!

Edited by peter a

Guest Vansphone

I agree with virtually all the posts above.

Out of the box, the Vega is not much of a machine, what makes it good it this community and the dedicated small group of people who develop the ROMs. The screen is OK but the screen of some other (more expensive) devises are much better.

Today in our local PC World I played with the Zoom and the Transformer. Both are well built with really excellent screens, but I was not as impressed as I thought I would be with Android 3. Scrolling was not as slick as on the Vega.

So, even though I am very tempted by the Transformer (keyboard, 16 hours battery life etc), I am going to wait until at least the end of the Summer before I change.

Guest peter a
XOOM even if it costs a little more.

a little more . The word you are looking for is twice the cost .

I`m sure if you spend a little more than the xoom say £1000 , you should get something even better .

Edited by peter a

Guest jezwick
If a vega wont do the job I would definitely go for a XOOM even if it costs a little more. There are benefits to having the google platform of choice.

I had a go on a xo om today... I kinda blew me away...

Next time I see one I reckon I'm buying one..

Edited by jezwick

Guest Richard_Arkless

Ok thanks guys ill either get the eeepad or the xoom, the xoom does look pretty sweet

im surprised at how much of a difference the price is compared to the price over in the US

$599 on amazon US = £367.30 for the same specs

Can I buy directly from there, is there a price added on and how much is that price to import it? forgive me I havent had experience with buying products from a different country

Oh and why are amazon UK charging more for it than pc world (its normally the opposite): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Xoom-Tabl...6246&sr=8-2

Error?

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Guest ed.dark
Can I buy directly from there, is there a price added on and how much is that price to import it? forgive me I havent had experience with buying products from a different country

Oh and why are amazon UK charging more for it than pc world (its normally the opposite): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Xoom-Tabl...6246&sr=8-2

Error?

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-d...ax-calculation/

Guest peter a
Wow the the import charges are ridiculous

I guess that the price we pay to live in rip off Briton .

Someone as got the pay for the MPs wages, which I would pay with washers.

Guest warriorscot

Import tax is meant to prevent people from shipping products meant for other markets at significantly lower cost. Import tax is variable but should be under 4% for a XOOM and you have to pay VAT on it like you would here. Still often works out cheaper I shipped my Sony ereader(PRS750) from the states it worked out a lot less than any other way. And the RRP on the XOOM is around £500 it is demand that is pushing the prices up as the other tabs hit the market it should go back down to that mark in most places.

The value has to be stated but if you can talk to the seller and they are amenable they can put a lower value on the package and mark it as something with a lower value or a gift. They very rarely open the packages whatever is on the shipping form is what they use to work out what you pay and it is the carrier that does it. Keeping that in mind it is a bit of a mugs game with the carriers sometimes. Alot of companies use parcelforce(royal mail) who have terrible service for international packages they make you pay the duty before they ship it so they send a letter first the other carriers let you pay at the door or online.

Guest phil8715
Import tax is meant to prevent people from shipping products meant for other markets at significantly lower cost. Import tax is variable but should be under 4% for a XOOM and you have to pay VAT on it like you would here. Still often works out cheaper I shipped my Sony ereader(PRS750) from the states it worked out a lot less than any other way. And the RRP on the XOOM is around £500 it is demand that is pushing the prices up as the other tabs hit the market it should go back down to that mark in most places.

The value has to be stated but if you can talk to the seller and they are amenable they can put a lower value on the package and mark it as something with a lower value or a gift. They very rarely open the packages whatever is on the shipping form is what they use to work out what you pay and it is the carrier that does it. Keeping that in mind it is a bit of a mugs game with the carriers sometimes. Alot of companies use parcelforce(royal mail) who have terrible service for international packages they make you pay the duty before they ship it so they send a letter first the other carriers let you pay at the door or online.

What I did was when I went to Australia my partner at the time bought an expensive camera and was worried about getting stung for import tax, I said throw the box away, send the receipt to yourself before you leave and customs won't know any different. As she bought the camera in the town and not in the airport for all they know you brought over with you.

Guest Vansphone
Ok thanks guys ill either get the eeepad or the xoom, the xoom does look pretty sweet

im surprised at how much of a difference the price is compared to the price over in the US

$599 on amazon US = £367.30 for the same specs

Error?

I have bought quite a few things from the US and now and again stuff gets through without any customs. However as a rule of thumb I assume they will add VAT.

Edited by Vansphone

Guest ezynow

If your interested in media playback then tegra 2 limits 1080p to baseline profile so no high definition video / movies etc.

Even the older single core samsung galaxy tab has better video playback 1080p high profile for certain bitrates.

Most 1080p branded consumer device over last 5 years has meant high profile 1080p so nvidia pulling a fast one over consumers for me.

Go over to the xoom forum and see the complaints etc.

Personally, i am waiting for the new dual core samsung tabs and hopefully there not tegra2 based and should be excellent media players as well as being much lighter in terms of weight, which is really important for portable devices.

Also remember android is a new os for arm tablets etc so dont think it is will replace a pc - if you go for an x86 based device you pretty much have years of development behind it and mainstream linux so need for this rubbish waiting for google / nvidia / advent and bill and bob to release sources.

Anyway all these devices are good for simple web browsing and fun apps etc.

Guest Qwertymon
I thought the screen on the Vega was pretty good. I've heard people saying the screen is bad. For a £200-£250 tablet you can't go too wrong. The screen on the iPad and Samsung Galaxy Tab are better, well of course they are because they cost double the price.

There are even cheaper tablets than the Vega but won't have as much support. I've seen on eBay the aPad which is a bad copy of the iPad, looks like the iPad but thats about it.

it doesnt come close to how good the xooms is, but your point is bang on its a £230 machine, its not going to be, I was mostly moaning that the iconia isnt as good as it aesthetics looks