Thinking of returning it on repair

Guest Touch Graphite

Guest pdej
I just started quoting the Sale of Goods Act when they started talking about sending it away.

I presume that is only applicable to those under 6 months?

Guest worto03
I presume that is only applicable to those under 6 months?

Whats this 6 month thing all about?

Isn't it a standard 12 month warranty why is it different after 6 months? I'm undecided about mine but it's just over 5 months old now.

Guest pdej
Whats this 6 month thing all about?

Isn't it a standard 12 month warranty why is it different after 6 months? I'm undecided about mine but it's just over 5 months old now.

I think the "consumer trade/sale of goods act" bit is only for 6 months and as such you can ask for your money back or exchange etc. After this I think you are down to their warranty terms which could be different - so they do not have to do exchange on site/refund etc. I could be wrong but that has always been my understanding. Mine was just above 6 months so I didn't push for straight exchange on site.

Edited by pdej

Guys just to add another view on this. I had mine for two months and i got annoyed with the screen issue when on power.

So i packed it up went into the Currys store near Bank in London and explained the issue to the manager. I even showed him the issue on his demo unit. They started talking about repair but i told them that the issue is on all Vega's so there is really no point. After a few minutes they agreed to exchange it for another product, the manager there even advised that he has seen/heard of the power issues.

So i walked out (after paying the difference) with the Asus EEE and i could not be happier.

My advice for dealing with Currys staff is this....

- Be calm, dont go off at one, be friendly, they will want to help you more. Sound disappointed with the product not annoyed.

- Talk to a manager not some muggle.

- Ensure you only talk about real issue with the device ie the power issue making the screen unusable, they cant argue this. Pointing out its poor screen and other flaws will just make them think you just want a new device. (although you do but dont let them think that.)

- Tell them you like the device but it is a hardware issue and there's no point sending it for repair, you are wasting everyone's time by doing that. Repeat that its a shame as you like the device. Tell them that there are streams of people having them exchanged due to the issue.

- Tell them you are willing to spend more money for a device that works (if thats what you want)

- Thank them for their assistance.

Hope this works for some of you. You wont regret changing the device for the EEE or Xoom, yes they are more money but they are better devices. Dont hang onto the Vega because your waiting for Honeycomb, just i've seen the port thread but it cant make up for the hardware!

Good Luck

Guest riggsy

Well, visited local PC World to pick up the' repaired' Vega today. Turns out they have done absolutely nothing and at the same time failed to return my charger therefore I am left with an unusable Vega and unable to demonstrate the problem in store despite asking for temporary replacement charger. In short, I'm far from happy.

As soon as my charger is re-delivered I plan on speaking to the store manager and also demonstrate the problem with the touch panel.

:-(

Guest pakomen
Well, visited local PC World to pick up the' repaired' Vega today. Turns out they have done absolutely nothing and at the same time failed to return my charger therefore I am left with an unusable Vega and unable to demonstrate the problem in store despite asking for temporary replacement charger. In short, I'm far from happy.

As soon as my charger is re-delivered I plan on speaking to the store manager and also demonstrate the problem with the touch panel.

:-(

Took mine back last night..I mentioned code 5 but was shown that it said collect and repair on their till screen..Mine has intermitant key bounce and sometimes power goes off when meter still reads 82%..also having serious issues flashing the more recent roms ie corvus5 cm7 and hc3 although i wasn't sure that i should mention that...anyhow Girl in shop played around with it and of course couldnt repeat keyboard/touchscreen fault..so it will be interesting to see how it performs when it appears back.

Fingers crossed

Pako

Guest Touch Graphite

Time for an even bigger update on this situation

After the promised 9th May delivery, nothing came.

I rang them this morning to ask where it had got to only to be told that someone had been moving my delivery dates and now its sat somewhere in some warehouse somewhere.

After a lengthy on hold phone call, I was met with another rep who picked up my call and didnt know who I was. This was the last straw for me. I quickly hung up and decided to tackle the nearest store on the issue this evening.

I got home, marched my empty Vega box to my local PCWorld store explained the whole shabang to them.

They didn't agree with a complete refund as I had the device for 6 months, but they did agree on exchange. I asked them if they would top up the price if I bought another product.

After some head scratching, enquiring on 1st gen/2nd gen iPads and their availability (which might I add, didn't exist ) I quickly demoed the honeycomb tablets but settled on the Xoom, to which Im posting this reply from, now.

Its awesome, honeycomb is awesome. And having it on the flagship device means awesome speed, the touch screen is immense for detail and touch responsiveness. It was a massive jump in price but what I should have had in the first place.

Of course, this means I have a docking station and Advent case for sale, both in mint condition.

I can provide details if anyone is after honeycomb info on files, folder contents and possibly some file transfers if they need it.

Edited by Touch Graphite

Guest pdej

Update on my return. I took mine in on Sunday and they called me back on Monday saying reflashing to stock had solved the problem (it didn't...). They told me I had invalidated my warranty anyway due to putting other ROMs on and they were in effect doing me a favour by even looking at it...

I explained that the guy I spoke to in customer services on the telephone said he knew this was an issue with the Vega and they said they would check that out by calling head office. I am almost 100% sure that they did not call head office at all, and just tried to fob me off on Tuesday.

I went back in to pick up Vega on Tues evening. They forgot to give me my charger, and when they were sorting out the paperwork, I noticed they had scratched the middle of the screen! To be fair they started to offer me a refund, to which I enquired if I could get an exchange as I wanted to go home with a Vega to play with again. The chap said no?!?!? So I asked if they had a Vega I could buy after the refund at which point I thought I would be quids in as I bought an original one at £250 and buy a new one now for £200. They asked me to go and check with one of the sales staff, and the sales person said I should be able to upgrade if I wanted to. Went back and asked about this, to which the 'manager' said no, because this was meant to be a straight swap!!!!

At this point I was fuming with being messed around and asked for a full refund. She then refused this too, even though it was the initial offer. After another 5 minutes of arguing they gave me the refund and put me off getting another Vega - I don't want to go through all that again should I have any issues.

I'm sorry to say that after doing more research I found that the new ipad does most of what I need to do, and is more reliable with it. And I got it from John Lewis with their no quibbles anything do dah.

The best bit of all of this for me - I actually only paid £190 for my Vega in the first instance as their customer services refunded me for messing me around back in December...back then they refunded me £60, and now they have done it again, so the ipad didn't really cost a lot!

I should also say thanks to everyone here who made my last 6 months with a Vega fun and interesting - I learnt a load of new things and when my HTC Desire is out of warranty I'm likely going to play around with that a little more.

Edited by pdej

Guest zzleezz

Touch - Congrats on your new shiny HC toy :unsure: Im only a lot jealous!

pdej - Also congrats on your amazing bargain iPad2! Dont forget where all the fun was when your vega was working though :P Sounds like you had a nightmare in store, in fact the way you were treated sounds pretty shoddy and I am glad that you came out of the game well ahead. Offering a refund and then refusing to give you the refund when you had tried to make life easier for them is just plain terrible customer service. I hope that someone at Vega CS reads this and tracks your case down so that the people involved get some "training".

My Vega behaving pretty much perfectly now, and with all the exciting new stuff being done on it lately I am happy to stay with my budget baby for the near future. Looking to get something with a better screen from santa though :)

Guest rilot

Well, my replacement is just as bad as the one I took back. Touchscreen still double taps and is very unresponsive while dragging with a light touch.

Not sure whether to take it back and ask for a refund or not. Not sure I can be bothered to be honest. I only bought it to play with anyway as I have an iPad2 as my main tablet.

Guest Touch Graphite
I only bought it to play with anyway as I have an iPad2 as my main tablet.

Your a select person whos fortunate to have one. The stock is gone and PC World/Apple website reporting a 4 week wait at least!

The PC World guy reckoned it was self generated by Apple to create some hype, but I quickly put his flames out when he was putting my Xoom into a bag and told him that they lost at least 1 sale over that idea.

Guest Touch Graphite

Just when I think DSG couldn't top themselves, they only went and did.

After accepting a refund and purchasing a Xoom, the store told me that the tablet (currently in Brum distribution centre) is now diverted to the store.

Just had a call from the rents and its only been delivered to my house!

Now I have a Xoom and a free repaired Vega (which isn't by the sounds of the report.)

GET IN!

Guest pdej
Your a select person whos fortunate to have one. The stock is gone and PC World/Apple website reporting a 4 week wait at least!

The PC World guy reckoned it was self generated by Apple to create some hype, but I quickly put his flames out when he was putting my Xoom into a bag and told him that they lost at least 1 sale over that idea.

I'm not sure that's true - we went to PC World in Derby and they had stock as do several others around the Notts area, and so did John Lewis - they seemed to have plenty when I bought mine there.

Guest matf
I'm not sure that's true - we went to PC World in Derby and they had stock as do several others around the Notts area, and so did John Lewis - they seemed to have plenty when I bought mine there.

Can anyone else confirm it's no longer Code 05? Was thinking of taking mine back tomorrow (was just about to flash stock when I read this!) and try to get a refund (I'm still within 6 months - but only by a matter of days) or exchange for an EEE. Would rather not have to save up the pennies...

Don't get me wrong - I love my Vega - I just think I'd love an EEE even more!

Guest pdej
Can anyone else confirm it's no longer Code 05? Was thinking of taking mine back tomorrow (was just about to flash stock when I read this!) and try to get a refund (I'm still within 6 months - but only by a matter of days) or exchange for an EEE. Would rather not have to save up the pennies...

Don't get me wrong - I love my Vega - I just think I'd love an EEE even more!

It's definitely not code 5, but you could try exchange on the basis of the dodgy screen if you have the same issue.

Guest Touch Graphite

Nah mine went and came back on a Code 2.

The repair centre doesn't understand or listen to how the screen is faulty, they test it (and sure it works, just not around the edges!) and then send it back.

Guest Yogimax

OK - I have successfully (and easily) replaced my 1st generation Vega with the latest version. This is what I did - and from the outset I have to say the customer service I received was first class! :unsure:

1 I rang after-sales support on 0844 5610000. I got through in about 2 minutes, and after giving my name and address, explained to the rep that I had bought my Vega before christmas, but the screen was unusable when plugged into charge as when I tried typing it gave double letters etc. I explained I had put the latest ROMs on as they were released, but this had not fixed the problem. He looked it up on his system, found the reference and told me that it was a Code 5 issue (which I knew already). He told me to take it back to any Curry's or PC World and I would get a replacement. I asked him for a reference, and he gave me my customer reference for the call I had just made.

2 I went into my local Curry's superstore in Lisburn with the following: Vega with the 1.09 ROM installed, AC charger and also I had installed "Multi Touch Visualiser" on it. I did not have my receipt, but the Vega was in the original box.

3 I had a chat with the guy on the customer support desk, explained the situation and that I had been told to come in for a Code 5 replacement. I gave him my customer number as at 1 above and demonstrated the screen issue using "Multi Touch Visualiser". He agreed it was a fault and looked up his system.

4 The local system told him that the Vega should be sent back to the service centre - however as I had my customer reference which said that it was a Code 5, he went away and rang the service centre. They confirmed that on their system it was an unrepairable fault and should be replaced in store. :)

5 He asked for the address that the Vega had originally been delivered to, and was able to confirm the order date and reference from his system.

6 After authorisation from the store manager, he popped into the stores and came back with my replacement Vega which I duly signed for.

7 Lastly - because the price had reduced from the time I originally bought it from £249 to £199 he informed me that I had £50 owing to me, and how would I like it! :P

Overall, a very good customer service experience unlike some of the experiences posted here and my thanks to the customer service staff in Lisburn!

Edited by Yogimax

Guest rilot

Well, I took my replacement back yesterday, same faulty screen.

I exchanged it for an Asus EEE Pad and put some cash in. I was pleased that the agreed to refund the dock and the case too. Wasn't expecting that.

Guest HugoQueiriga
Well, I took my replacement back yesterday, same faulty screen.

I exchanged it for an Asus EEE Pad and put some cash in. I was pleased that the agreed to refund the dock and the case too. Wasn't expecting that.

How old was your Vega?

Guest matf
!

I got mine at Christmas and I was offered a full refund yesterday or else an exchange

Have just happily exchanged my December-bought Vega and £110 for a brand new Eee Pad. Followed Yogimax's instructions to the letter - but they didn't even ask to see it! And happily included the case in the refund.

Marvellous. Loved my Vega, but an even happier bunny now.

Guest HugoQueiriga

Called them up today but was told it need to go in for repair, as I bought mine in the second batch in November.

I have now booked a repair I hope that the new batch is better, I don't understand why they offered others CODE5 and some repair.

I asked if I could go to store and swap for one as I did not want to be without one for more than 10 days, but they said it was beyond 28 days, so need to go in for repair.

Edited by HugoQueiriga

Guest Yogimax
Went in to the store showed them the issue but their system shows code 2, no swap for another one. :unsure:

Read my post - if they ring up the service centre, their system says code 5 so they will swap it for you.