SU660 root? Is it safe to...

Guest Vizix

Guest Vizix

I have the Korean version of the P990, the SU660 and though I have rooted the phone at some point with Super One Click, several things has gotten me to go right back to unrooting it. Though my friends say that my fears are groundless, I thought I'd ask an experienced community!

In Korea, phones are 800+ USD so I was extremely paranoid about bricking my phone (this is the foundation of my fears...)

1. I have had the phone rooted but I could not get clockworkmod or any of the other recovery mods to work. I'm not the kind of person to fiddle with settings I don't know but it did scare me that I couldn't ever go back once I bricked the phone somehow.

2. There is almost no support on the forums for the LG SU660. I'm a super new user as this is the phone that popped my android cherry and there is very little if ANY support on how to do things on the LG SU660. I understand that most android phones work on the same software but I couldn't get anything working.

(I've tried the search function on forums such as Cyanogen, XDA, and here as well)

3. I know that none of the p990 and the g2x roms will work on my phone because I have an antenna and an extra home button but the root worked fine for the day that I had it. This mostly goes back to the fact that theres almost no support for my phone model.

What are the chances of me rendering my phone useless once I root my phone? Better yet, if anyone knows of an SU660 community, please let me know T_T

Edited by Vizix

I'm in the same boat and would Love nothing more to find a custom Rom for the SU660. I've even gone as far as trying to bake my own...failing miserably in the process. I even setup my own Linux box, downloaded the su660 source and android sdk, followed what guides I could find online, but to no avail.

I've been lucky enough not to brick my phone (permanently) throughout the whole process and am not about to give up. So if anyone out there has a guide on how to properly create or modify existing roms, I would be in your debt until either myself, or my 2x dies.

Anyway the following is my experience (take what you will from it, but proceed at your own risk)

Yes, I've even flashed P990 roms...I know...I know "What, am I? Crazy?...slightly yes. But you'll never learn anything without breaking it a couple times.

All I can say is those Roms were very very nice and Paul has done an excellent job, and if only I had full functionality it would be even nicer.

It also took me a while to figure out how to boot into CWM. Trying what was stated here and on other sites, but that didn't work. And I'm not one to give up easily, so I tried other combinations and finally found that for the su660 you have to hold down the Power Button+Vol. Down+Tactile Home Button on boot. (as if that took long, there's not that many buttons...)

As for recovering from my ventures into the undiscovered country, and almost soiling myself on multiple occasions, LG provides a nice feature within their Support Tools. If you launch the LGMobile Update tool, and switch the Country & Language to Republic of Korea, and under Customer Support choose "Recovery Phone". This should then ask you for the model# and Serial# of your phone. It should then proceed to fix your lapse in good judgement. It worked for me...twice.

The third time (yes, there was a third), I had to run the recovery and then hold down the aforementioned buttons for a factory reset before it would properly boot (It was stuck in the "LG Loop". Probably had something to do with the EXT4).

And so goes MY experience with the SU660, and I have stated this for information purposes only. There is no telling what your results may be. So, again proceed at your own risk.

So as you can see, I've only scratched the surface of this wonderful beast. Please, at least point me in the right direction in order to unlock the full potential of what is now my best friend. My first Android phone.

Sorry for the long first post, as I've never posted anything on any site before. This is my first ever! (You see now the gravity of the situation).

All joking aside though, it is a wonderful device and I would love to learn as much as I possibly can about it.

So any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

So did you successfully flash your phone with CWM? Your post has been great help to me, thanks!!

You're very welcome, and yes I was able to get CWM working, and it's gotten me out of trouble a couple of time already ^^.(Backups are awesome!) Getting CWM working was never the problem for me though, except for figuring out how to boot to it. It's finding a custom Rom for it that's driving me crazy^^. It's like I'm the little quiet kid on the playground that no one wants to play with...Man! I wanna play toooooo~ lol

I have this amazing piece of technology at my finger tips with great potential, but I'm only half way there.

I was able to load Root Explorer and take off all of the bloatware/LG crap-apps though, so that's good. Removed LG Launcher completely and am now using LauncherPro as my default.

So, I'm gettin there.

Oh, I also tried to load the original "lock screen" replacement update someone had...got stuck in another LG boot loop, so had to recover from that too. Oh well, you live and you learn.

I'll keep trying stuff until I eventually break it...either out of ignorance or frustration. Taking bets on which one's first...

Anywho, good luck to you, and if I do ever find something, I'll be sure to post it and let you know...don't hold you're breath though. Doesn't seem like many thrill seeking SU660 users are out there, looking for a bit of excitement in their lives. So probably wont get too much support.

I did just have a premonition that someone would answer our calls though...oh well, we can only hope.

• 1 month later...