[ROM] Corvus5 (newbe5 and Corvus teamed ROM)

Guest the_corvus

Guest pabloid

Well done to you guys on this ROM ... really fast. I really like it ... :mellow:

I have just one comment ... I guess its not really an issue for many but it is for me :o .... dont mean to moan cos I do really appreciate your work ... anyway here goes ..

I noticed that you are using the OMXPlayer as the media player .. is there any reason for this ... it generally works but I am having an issue when streaming media over a local proxy .. and also using some shoutcast apps (winamp especially)

see this http://community.developer.motorola.com/t5...HTTP/td-p/12120

As i say I am not sure why this player is on there .. I dont think the same player is in the stock or Paul's ROM .. but I would need to flash to check that ...

Any chance of changing to a more stable and useable mediaplayer ????

cheers

pabloid

Guest PurpleRob

Well finally bit the bullet and installed this Rom, well done guys, super fast and fingers crossed I haven't had any issues whatsoever and achieved a smartbench score over 4200! Keep up the good work.

Guest pakomen

This is what I get on screen while trying to install

the Corvus5.zip file from the clockwork recovery.

-- Installing: SDCARD:Corvus5.zip

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

Installing update...

created by paulobrien -http:www.MoDACo.com

modified by Corvus and newbe5

Mounting data...

Writing data...

Mounting system...

Erasing system...

Writing system...

Setting permissions...

Unmounting data...

Unmounting System...

Writing boot image...

Writing recovery image...

Done!

Install from sdcard complete.

When I reboot the vega it remains on backlit black screen.

At this stage the only option is to start all over again and install

v1.09 using the softwareImage_v1.09_Vega_Final.exe file.

then reinstall clockwork mod and recover r8 from backup..

Am I missing something?

cheers

pakomen

Guest Bobby Elliott

I used the Modaco R8 ROM for a couple of weeks, and liked it a lot. Installed Corvus5 ROM yesterday and still finding my way around but first impressions are good. I am finding overclocking to be temperamental, with my Vega often sticking at the slowest clock speed, until I reboot, after which it jumps to 1.4Ghz. If this continues, I will remove overclocking and revert to the stock speed.

But, nice ROM.

Anyone found a way of getting rid of the blue light while it is in standby?

Guest premieral
I used the Modaco R8 ROM for a couple of weeks, and liked it a lot. Installed Corvus5 ROM yesterday and still finding my way around but first impressions are good. I am finding overclocking to be temperamental, with my Vega often sticking at the slowest clock speed, until I reboot, after which it jumps to 1.4Ghz. If this continues, I will remove overclocking and revert to the stock speed.

But, nice ROM.

switch camera on then off :mellow:

Guest sipart

Got to say thanks to newbe5 and Corvus - great rom. Its great when people dedicate themselves to make our devices even better (and build on and continue Paul's great work). Thanks :-)

Guest jinkyjim

I was on paul 's rom for a few weeks, and it was great,

Now on this rom and it seems faster and smoother, with the honeycomb theme it is the perfect rom.

Thanks Paul, corvus, newbe5.

Guest Stevonator

Just downloaded this :mellow: Hopefully I'll be getting my vega tomorrow so I'll be flashing it as soon as I get it :o

Cheers for all your hard work, you really have turned a rubbish tablet into an amazing machine :D

Guest Bobby Elliott
switch camera on then off :mellow:

Thanks that works but only until I reboot, when it comes back. Is there a way of permanently disabling it? I presume it does no harm to ignore it?

Guest Steven-R-Raith

Nice ROM, although I didn't realise just how much I had 'set up' my previous R8 image until I booted into Corvus and saw how empty my desktop was, arf.

Looking forward to twiddling. I noticed that some apps don't appear in the market (CPUMeter for one!) but I'm sure that'll have been referred to somewhere in the thread, which I'll have a full read of tomorrow.

Good work. Butter smooth - like it.

Guest Mark Hartley

Hi, since installing this I can't get into recovery. Using Rom Manager it just reboots, any suggestions? Thanks

Edited by Mark Hartley

Guest the_corvus

But, nice ROM.

Great rom, is there any way to change the penguins to a android robot, its the only thingies liked about the stock rom

Thanks that works but only until I reboot, when it comes back. Is there a way of permanently disabling it? I presume it does no harm to ignore it?

A rom with:

OC

USB host

memory automount.

etc...

And everybody ask for the stupid little blue led that is only viewable looking under the display cover... Awesome 8(

The battery drain of this led is almost 0 compared to display, camera, bt, wifi, etc.

I'm not angry, nor make this for money, i only try to use all the power that the vega can give us, but with all the hours spend by newbe, and me in this rom (and all the other people that helped us) the result is:

1) Almost nobody read the full thread (nor the two firts post)

2) Almost everyone ask for the stupid little blue led

3) Almost none donate to us. Like i said i dont do this for money, but 1 pound/dollar/euro for newbe or me in a thread with more than 230 post and 15000 views lets us continue with our work. We can fix the dock problems because we dont have one, but example. And i am not thinking about the CorvusVegaRom thread...

This is not against the people that i quote above, is my general feeling reading the full thread.

I really want to thank all my donators, because they demostrate that they matter to have a full working tablet using any of the custom roms and not a half working one using the stock rom.

Corvus.

Guest phil-t
A rom with:

OC

USB host

memory automount.

etc...

And everybody ask for the stupid little blue led that is only viewable looking under the display cover... Awesome 8(

The battery drain of this led is almost 0 compared to display, camera, bt, wifi, etc.

I'm not angry, nor make this for money, i only try to use all the power that the vega can give us, but with all the hours spend by newbe, and me in this rom (and all the other people that helped us) the result is:

1) Almost nobody read the full thread (nor the two firts post)

2) Almost everyone ask for the stupid little blue led

3) Almost none donate to us. Like i said i dont do this for money, but 1 pound/dollar/euro for newbe or me in a thread with more than 230 post and 15000 views lets us continue with our work. We can fix the dock problems because we dont have one, but example. And i am not thinking about the CorvusVegaRom thread...

This is not against the people that i quote above, is my general feeling reading the full thread.

I really want to thank all my donators, because they demostrate that they matter to have a full working tablet using any of the custom roms and not a half working one using the stock rom.

Corvus.

When every post tends to start "Awesome ROM, best ever, but can you fix this minor item", you need to realise that's actually quite a compliment, you've got the fundamentals right, and people are overwhelmingly acknowledging this before asking for the minor 'perfection' kind of things..

So I don't agree with most of your post I'm afraid, especially bringing donations into it, but since you have, IMO, and I can't stress enough, IMO, what makes a ROM developer stand out and make themselves worthy of donation to ME (and I've donated well over £70 in the last 24 months to lots of developers/projects) is whether they put the effort into the 'detail' , i.e. they are striving for perfection and do take note/care about the minor things and give people 'options' to tailor these things how they like and fix all the minor stuff to help engage their potential customers (And the notion of a customer works for non commercial projects as well).

Don't take this the wrong way, it's meant as constructive criticism, I'm a software developer myself (Not Android), and I've been through the mill with many developers in my life, and I've realised what key attributes seem to differentiate the good from the really great developers, and it's not all about who has the most technical skill..

Guest the_corvus

First, thanks by your opinion... like i said i'm not angry, and i like a constructive reply

When every post tends to start "Awesome ROM, best ever, but can you fix this minor item", you need to realise that's actually quite a compliment, you've got the fundamentals right, and people are overwhelmingly acknowledging this before asking for the minor 'perfection' kind of things..

I agree with you but only when the minor item is not asked 10 times in the same day... this only demostrate that nobody reads the posts other people write nor my post.

In every page we have the problem with the batt meter (fixed in other thread writed by me), the blue led (so annoying???), the "i install but black screen" (no wipe before install rom and you will get this problem), so i really wanna help people with problems, but i'm spending my time replying posts already replied and no fixing Corvus5 or having a live. ( I wanna thank too the people that reply helping other people).

So I don't agree with most of your post I'm afraid, especially bringing donations into it, but since you have, IMO, and I can't stress enough, IMO, what makes a ROM developer stand out and make themselves worthy of donation to ME (and I've donated well over £70 in the last 24 months to lots of developers/projects) is whether they put the effort into the 'detail' , i.e. they are striving for perfection and do take note/care about the minor things and give people 'options' to tailor these things how they like and fix all the minor stuff to help engage their potential customers (And the notion of a customer works for non commercial projects as well).

About donations... like you said i will talk about my opinion (not newbe5, just mine)

I know that the donation topic allways is problematic, but we all are polite people and will maintaint it polite

I dont force anyone to use my roms, nor donate me, because i do this roms for me, and share for everyone. But everyone using them may thing that if the work that i do has a value of a post thanking my work or 1000€. It's just everyone value of things, and i dont ask for money, only wait that people think that i'm not a guy sit in a cave without other things to do. I have a work, a family and spend my time avoiding other people spending their time.

When i finish CorvusVegaRom0.5 i was sure that i will not release any other rom, but newbe convince me to release a new one. If i get tired of release roms i will not... will make changes for me (like the xbox pad support and gps usb) and dont release it, because like you can see is a lot of work. So without him you will not have overclocking, utf8, etc. Do you know how many people donate him or ask him a link for a donation??? 0 people. And he do as much as i in this rom (if not more).

Think about the stock rom, and now think in any of the customs roms (or kernels, or improvements), think about the big leap that you get using one of the customs and now think about the value of this improvement. Now go and pay this value to the rom maker (begee, alphaola, buzz, etc.), because if the developer think that the returning value is not enought will find another way to get it or will stop doing it.

Don't take this the wrong way, it's meant as constructive criticism, I'm a software developer myself (Not Android), and I've been through the mill with many developers in my life, and I've realised what key attributes seem to differentiate the good from the really great developers, and it's not all about who has the most technical skill..

Like i said i like constructive criticism, but i dont know if i understand good. Are you trying to say me that because i ask for donation i'm not a great developer? I really dont mean if i'm great of not, i really not feel that i'm a great developer, so my ego doesnt get hurt.

Have in mind that i'm not a native english speaker so some words can be mistaken. I'm not trying to been rude or unpolite, so if you have any doubt, ask.

Corvus.

Guest vinnyjones
lol these arent issues

this is a result of overclocking! - not all processors are made the same, someones overclock to 1.4 might be perfectly stable, while another person might have loads of crashes.

ALso its obvs going to get warmer when you bunk up the processor to 1.4ghz.

Try.... not overclcoking it and see if you get the same "issues"

Decided to leave it at 1Ghz.. Even flashed Cyanogenmod Nightly 61 and overclocked to 1.4Ghz (crossing my fingers that it would remain stable but unfortunately it didn't for very long).. Reverted back to 1Ghz and it seems to be stable although i think i've even had one crash at 1Ghz which was concerning.. To be honest i really shouldn't complain about the speed, its still great even at 1Ghz and i do love this little tablet.. Screw IPAD users, this tablet is much better.. :-)

Going to leave it at 1Ghz and if i get any crashes i may consider returning it to currys..

Guest Bobby Elliott
When every post tends to start "Awesome ROM, best ever, but can you fix this minor item", you need to realise that's actually quite a compliment

Corvus (and Newbie) your ROM is fantastic. The best this community is going to get this side of Gingerbread. Like Phil wrote, most posts begin with "Great ROM but can you...?". Take it as a compliment.

I was unaware of the donation facility (please don't ask me to "read the forum" - I have a life too). If you can remind me (and others, I'm sure) of how to donate, some ££ will wing its way to you (and Newbie, I presume you share).

Guest the_corvus
Corvus (and Newbie) your ROM is fantastic. The best this community is going to get this side of Gingerbread. Like Phil wrote, most posts begin with "Great ROM but can you...?". Take it as a compliment.

I was unaware of the donation facility (please don't ask me to "read the forum" - I have a life too). If you can remind me (and others, I'm sure) of how to donate, some ££ will wing its way to you (and Newbie, I presume you share).

If someone wanna donate me (newbe will have his own donation link) the link is in my signature... maybe i will make it bigger. :mellow:

Corvus.

Edited by the_corvus

Guest premieral
If someone wanna donate me (newbe will have his own donation link) the link is in my signature... maybe i will make it bigger. :o

Corvus.

Hi Corvus apologies for seeming stupid but that link is in spanish and i have no idea what it says or what to do?? can you point it to an english link, apologies for not being able to speak your language me bad! :mellow:

Guest tony barnes

Doh, still not installed this!! Completely forgot the other day... Other half is off out to see a friend for a bit tomorrow, will probably have a crack then.

So, just planning ahead, how do I fix this blue light situation, it sounds quite annoying...? :mellow: :o :D

Guest the_corvus
Hi Corvus apologies for seeming stupid but that link is in spanish and i have no idea what it says or what to do?? can you point it to an english link, apologies for not being able to speak your language me bad! :mellow:

Dont worry... not your fault... paypal is stupid...

Up-left is the email, up-right is a language select. Maybe is Español by default, but can be changed to english.

Corvus.

PS: If doesnt work, ask me and try to search another way, because it uses the language of the account

Guest phil-t
Like i said i like constructive criticism, but i dont know if i understand good. Are you trying to say me that because i ask for donation i'm not a great developer? I really dont mean if i'm great of not, i really not feel that i'm a great developer, so my ego doesnt get hurt.

Have in mind that i'm not a native english speaker so some words can be mistaken. I'm not trying to been rude or unpolite, so if you have any doubt, ask.

Corvus.

IMO, it's not about the asking for donations, it's about the reaction to people asking for minor things..

By mentioning donations, you seem to imply that if people donated, you might do more? or that's how it sounds..

'Great' developers realise that if you pander to your 'customers' and get them on-board, the donations start coming in..

For example, take the Blue LED issue, lets say as a user it bothers me, and I come on here to post about if there is a fix..

take 2 scenarios,

A. If the developer tells me it's minor, and haven't I read the first post, and not many people have donated etc, then it tells me he doesn't care about what is important to me, and hence why bother donating?

B. If the developer acknowledges these things, tells me he'll possibly look to fix it shortly, spend 5 mins fixing a minor issue, when I see he's actually listened and gone out of his way to fix something that bothered me, then I get the impression he is genuinely interested in me as a customer, and I happily donate..

I find all the more successful ROMs on the phones are ones where the developers are more customer focussed, who see 'minor' annoyances as actually quite important to their 'customers', and by making their 'customers' happy, they get lots of people using their ROMs, and I assume the more people use a ROM, the more will donate.

That's all IMO, I have to develop some very large engineering tools on Windows, which is quite tricky at times, and when I joined my current project, customer satisfaction was quite low, lots of minor issues, which all the developers ignored and thought the customers where just ungreatful. I turned this around and said that even a minor issue from a customers perspective is a failure on our behalf, and certainly not the customers fault, he won't ever see all the great technical effort we put under the hood, all the customer will see is these seemingly silly/minor issues and it will dis-engage them from our software.

Well, all I will say is, that by treating any customer dissatisfaction as a failure of the developers, not only do they pay much more attention to getting all the minor detail as polished as the under the hood stuff, but also, when the customers notice that you are making things much better for them, the praise comes naturally, and customer numbers start increasing rapidly as it spreads by word of mouth... even though it's internal engineering tools for our company, I'm sure the same principles apply no matter what the scenario.

The bottom line, make people happy by addressing a few silly minor things, and give people the feeling you are actively trying to improve it for them, and I'm sure praise and donations will flow nicely..

Edited by phil-t

Guest premieral
IMO, it's not about the asking for donations, it's about the reaction to people asking for minor things..

By mentioning donations, you seem to imply that if people donated, you might do more? or that's how it sounds..

'Great' developers realise that if you pander to your 'customers' and get them on-board, the donations start coming in..

For example, take the Blue LED issue, lets say as a user it bothers me, and I come on here to post about if there is a fix..

take 2 scenarios,

A. If the developer tells me it's minor, and haven't I read the first post, and not many people have donated etc, then it tells me he doesn't care about what is important to me, and hence why bother donating?

B. If the developer acknowledges these things, tells me he'll possibly look to fix it shortly, spend 5 mins fixing a minor issue, when I see he's actually listened and gone out of his way to fix something that bothered me, then I get the impression he is genuinely interested in me as a customer, and I happily donate..

I find all the more successful ROMs on the phones are ones where the developers are more customer focussed, who see 'minor' annoyances as actually quite important to their 'customers', and by making their 'customers' happy, they get lots of people using their ROMs, and I assume the more people use a ROM, the more will donate.

That's all IMO, I have to develop some very large engineering tools on Windows, which is quite tricky at times, and when I joined my current project, customer satisfaction was quite low, lots of minor issues, which all the developers ignored and thought the customers where just ungreatful. I turned this around and said that even a minor issue from a customers perspective is a failure on our behalf, and certainly not the customers fault, he won't ever see all the great technical effort we put under the hood, all the customer will see is these seemingly silly/minor issues and it will dis-engage them from our software.

Well, all I will say is, that by treating any customer dissatisfaction as a failure of the developers, not only do they pay much more attention to getting all the minor detail as polished as the under the hood stuff, but also, when the customers notice that you are making things much better for them, the praise comes naturally, and customer numbers start increasing rapidly as it spreads by word of mouth... even though it's internal engineering tools for our company, I'm sure the same principles apply no matter what the scenario.

The bottom line, make people happy by addressing a few silly minor things, and give people the feeling you are actively trying to improve it for them, and I'm sure praise and donations will flow nicely..

I think you are bordering on arrogance :mellow: turn your argument around slightly and make yourself a customer by purchasing otherwise you are just a user! Corvus hasn't demanded payment but he has rightly mentioned that people put comments on this thread that he and others have answered dozens of times, now if you had bought and paid for this at least you would have some right to complain, but you haven't so please don't! Because I for one don't want to risk losing the team that brought us a fixed accelerometer, overclocking ability and numerous other bits I don't even understand, especially as Paul has deserted this for now :o