[ROM] Corvus5 (newbe5 and Corvus teamed ROM)

Guest the_corvus

Guest leonidas540bc

Just got a Vega yesterday - installed the Corvus rom - cracking job - fantastic tablet once the market is installed - absolutely love it!

Guest the_corvus
IMO, it's not about the asking for donations, it's about the reaction to people asking for minor things..

Really is about the asking for minor things that has been resolved before, (not the led problem)

By mentioning donations, you seem to imply that if people donated, you might do more? or that's how it sounds..

'Great' developers realise that if you pander to your 'customers' and get them on-board, the donations start coming in..

Not my intencion... i wanna say that maybe people dont know the hard work that is to release, maintain and update a rom, giving support and helping in forums. Some people didnt even realize that donation exists.

About the donations start coming it... i can say for sure that this doesnt work this way, it's not my first rom for a device and not allways work the way you thing... if not ask how many people here are using apps daily that costs 1$ and have not buy it, but this is another problem...

For example, take the Blue LED issue, lets say as a user it bothers me, and I come on here to post about if there is a fix..

take 2 scenarios,

A. If the developer tells me it's minor, and haven't I read the first post, and not many people have donated etc, then it tells me he doesn't care about what is important to me, and hence why bother donating?

B. If the developer acknowledges these things, tells me he'll possibly look to fix it shortly, spend 5 mins fixing a minor issue, when I see he's actually listened and gone out of his way to fix something that bothered me, then I get the impression he is genuinely interested in me as a customer, and I happily donate..

I find all the more successful ROMs on the phones are ones where the developers are more customer focussed, who see 'minor' annoyances as actually quite important to their 'customers', and by making their 'customers' happy, they get lots of people using their ROMs, and I assume the more people use a ROM, the more will donate.

Maybe the minor issue for you is not so minor... using your same example, the blue led. I really dont know why it stays on, need to see a bunch of code to see where it switch on, make some test compiling the kernel with a 20 minutes waiting for compiling each test, and if i get it fixed, repack rom or update, upload it and cross your fingers because fixing the led i can break any other thing.

So, i really listen for the customer opinion, (oc was asked for, by example) but some things needs more work that people think and this doesnt mean that if i dont get donation i will not do it, but the reality is that if people donates i have some kind of moral contract that can help me not be lazy.

That's all IMO, I have to develop some very large engineering tools on Windows, which is quite tricky at times, and when I joined my current project, customer satisfaction was quite low, lots of minor issues, which all the developers ignored and thought the customers where just ungreatful. I turned this around and said that even a minor issue from a customers perspective is a failure on our behalf, and certainly not the customers fault, he won't ever see all the great technical effort we put under the hood, all the customer will see is these seemingly silly/minor issues and it will dis-engage them from our software.

Well, all I will say is, that by treating any customer dissatisfaction as a failure of the developers, not only do they pay much more attention to getting all the minor detail as polished as the under the hood stuff, but also, when the customers notice that you are making things much better for them, the praise comes naturally, and customer numbers start increasing rapidly as it spreads by word of mouth... even though it's internal engineering tools for our company, I'm sure the same principles apply no matter what the scenario.

And you get paid for this work before you do or wait for the customer to be happy enought with your work to pay you? I too work in a IT scenario (a Telco, making network integrations) and get paid for my work, and do the same as you with customers, but rom cooking is not the same, i dont get paid for, cant be fired, etc, and the only real thing that make tomorrow i enter this forum and try to improve the rom is the people that helps me and the donators that donate not only for my work done, also for the work i will do.

The bottom line, make people happy by addressing a few silly minor things, and give people the feeling you are actively trying to improve it for them, and I'm sure praise and donations will flow nicely..

Like i said this is not my first rom in a device, and the way you suggest doesnt work, because there is many people that with 1 pound in his hand think that is better a beer for him that thanks for me.

Corvus.

Guest phil-t
Really is about the asking for minor things that has been resolved before, (not the led problem)

Not my intencion... i wanna say that maybe people dont know the hard work that is to release, maintain and update a rom, giving support and helping in forums. Some people didnt even realize that donation exists.

About the donations start coming it... i can say for sure that this doesnt work this way, it's not my first rom for a device and not allways work the way you thing... if not ask how many people here are using apps daily that costs 1$ and have not buy it, but this is another problem...

I know why and when I donate to ROM developers, and tried to put that accross in my posts, there are many common mechanisms that are at play in the donation model, I can see user engagement as being the number 1 reason for me donating, it may be limited to me, but when you mentioned donations, and I see that you aren't engaging your users as well as could be, I just thought I'd mention it..

Maybe the minor issue for you is not so minor... using your same example, the blue led. I really dont know why it stays on, need to see a bunch of code to see where it switch on, make some test compiling the kernel with a 20 minutes waiting for compiling each test, and if i get it fixed, repack rom or update, upload it and cross your fingers because fixing the led i can break any other thing.
I'm extremely familiar with this scenario, and agree with a lot of it, and perhaps it's because of my experience with my own projects and engineers, but I do see different developers react differently, some will say 'it might be difficult and break something else', others say "I'll have a look at that and see if it's an easy fix or not', one is a negative reaction, the other more postive, neither are comitting to anything, but as a user, it's obvious which is preferable.

So, i really listen for the customer opinion, (oc was asked for, by example) but some things needs more work that people think and this doesnt mean that if i dont get donation i will not do it, but the reality is that if people donates i have some kind of moral contract that can help me not be lazy.
This is the dilema, and why I don't do such things, there is a huge amount of upfront effort involved, and the motivation for putting that effort in is something I would struggle with to. With regards to donations, I do understand the model, It's very difficult to get any real level of donations, unless you can somehow engage your users so well that they have no course for complaint and want you to keep developing. I think for me personally, when a ROM has no real niggles that affect my daily usage, and each release just enhances performance/adds some small extra features, I naturally want to donate to keep that developer going.. When I have some niggles that affect my daily use of the ROM, and I'm not sure if they'll ever be fixed etc, then I don't bother, that may just be me, I don't know, but I do at least genuinely splash the cash, with over 30 donations to different developers, and I do buy 'donation' versions of some outstanding apps rather then the free ones, because I appreciate the effort, but only if they are bug free..

And you get paid for this work before you do or wait for the customer to be happy enought with your work to pay you? I too work in a IT scenario (a Telco, making network integrations) and get paid for my work, and do the same as you with customers, but rom cooking is not the same, i dont get paid for, cant be fired, etc, and the only real thing that make tomorrow i enter this forum and try to improve the rom is the people that helps me and the donators that donate not only for my work done, also for the work i will do.
It's not the being paid that makes me behave this way, it's just who I am, I find the pride from doing a good job (whether paid or not) is my main motivation, if I do a good job I can be proud in, and people recognise that, I'm a happy person!

Anyway, I've said more then enough, your work is very much appreciated by me, and the Vega would be a much poorer device without your efforts.

Guest newbe5

Hey all! I just wanted to drop by fast and say that I haven't abandoned this Rom or the users that are enjoying it! I am currently on holiday with my wife and daughter, and will be back early next week, then hopefully I can look at addressing some of the concerns and issues people have posted in here!

Thanks for using corvus5, your views and opinions can only help make this Rom better!

Newbe5

Guest the_corvus

Yours (phil-t) is one of the points of view, but as allways donations is a problem because as rom cooker i must choose betwen "donation to get work done" or "work to get donations" with the pros and cons of each.

I really prefer a mix... i dont think that ask for donation in the first post of my first rom is a good way (because no one know if i will continue improving the rom, etc.) nor wait for users good will (because users really dont know how hard is the work, or not even know about the option to donate) so with my roms i allways release some versions, with improvements, showing that i will not stop improving it so people can know for sure that i will maintain the work and ask for donation explaining the real work that is this work.

Like i said in one of my last post...

I dont ask for donation, i ask for people to think that what they get is free but it have a cost for the developers. And act accordingly giving back the value they think must be done.

Corvus.

PS: newbe5 is more polite than me :o. Use his paypal donation link :mellow:

Edited by the_corvus

Guest elephantsoup

Thanks for the Rom and all your work it is appreciated here.

I am guessing there is a silent majority who are using the rom with no complaints

Please keep up the good work.

Guest godmode

Add me to the silent majority. Everyone is going to have something they dont like, mine is not being able to install a different keyboard! By the way im overclocked to 1.6ghz and stable. Rockin!

Guest mre15

Hi chaps,

I have just installed this and its working well at the moment.

I have just one question though, my notification bar always shows the USB connected even though it isn't. It doesn't cause a problem it just bugs me. Is there a way time fix it. Cheers and good work.

Guest billybruiser

To think i very nearly got a ipad 2! Im very pleased with the vega and many thanks for this fantastic rom :mellow: ive fixed the blue light problem! .........................ive stuck some tape over it :o

Guest newbe5
To think i very nearly got a ipad 2! Im very pleased with the vega and many thanks for this fantastic rom :mellow: ive fixed the blue light problem! .........................ive stuck some tape over it :o

The blue light problem is very strange, I do not have it on my vega even after a reflash. I will investigate more when I get home from holiday!

Guest premieral
Add me to the silent majority. Everyone is going to have something they dont like, mine is not being able to install a different keyboard! By the way im overclocked to 1.6ghz and stable. Rockin!

That's. Strange i have a different keyboard? I have installed ni keyboard and it works fine

Guest stevea94

I'll start by apologising in case I break any rules of etiquette here, but this is my first post on this or any other forum.

I've been a Vega owner for some time and have really enjoyed mucking around with the thing, trying new ROMs and mixes of various apps etc. Of course I've been actively monitoring this and the XDA site to keep up with the latest activity but I've not posted thus far. So why now?

It occurs from time to time that a kind of tit-for-tat discussion kicks off, often over small issues that get blown up somewhat. One thing I know from my professional life (I.T. of course :mellow: ) is that text/email often doesn't help in these situations as the emotional clues we get from speaking to people are not there - this often makes things worse. So the catch-22 here is that I'm now making the situation worse still by joining in, so I'll get to the point.

I think what corvus and newbe5 have done is fantastic and I'm delighted (smartbench 4205) - consequently I have donated to both. I sincerely hope they enjoy a beer or two on me, feel a little more valued, and are encouraged to do a little more still for the rest of us. Picking away at people's points, whatever the motives isn't necessarily the way to keep them onside.

That's all from me and I promise I will not be adding any more to this subject - whatever gets said.

Cheers to corvus and newbe5

P.S. No blue lights or other niggles for me. :o

Guest simonta
I'll start by apologising in case I break any rules of etiquette here, but this is my first post on this or any other forum.

I've been a Vega owner for some time and have really enjoyed mucking around with the thing, trying new ROMs and mixes of various apps etc. Of course I've been actively monitoring this and the XDA site to keep up with the latest activity but I've not posted thus far. So why now?

It occurs from time to time that a kind of tit-for-tat discussion kicks off, often over small issues that get blown up somewhat. One thing I know from my professional life (I.T. of course :mellow: ) is that text/email often doesn't help in these situations as the emotional clues we get from speaking to people are not there - this often makes things worse. So the catch-22 here is that I'm now making the situation worse still by joining in, so I'll get to the point.

I think what corvus and newbe5 have done is fantastic and I'm delighted (smartbench 4205) - consequently I have donated to both. I sincerely hope they enjoy a beer or two on me, feel a little more valued, and are encouraged to do a little more still for the rest of us. Picking away at people's points, whatever the motives isn't necessarily the way to keep them onside.

That's all from me and I promise I will not be adding any more to this subject - whatever gets said.

Welcome, and a good opening post. I couldn't agree more with you. Folks have no clue how much effort any dev worth doing takes and to get a post like " thingy doesn't work, please fix" is, how to say it delicately, cr*p.

Sadly, you will come to learn that there are some facts of life around forums that you either learn to live with or throw in the towel. Sadly, I'm close to the latter. I've tried my best to be a significant contributor but have "hit the wall". I've got a project underway, to try to banish the USB driver problems with an auto installer, but it will be my last. Probably not a bad thing, new blood and all, and I'm far too modest to think that anyone will actually care but for what it's worth, these are the things I have not been able to live with.

1. Folks who start new topics without searching or trying to help themselves.

2. New posts asking questions about a particular topic which are already answered in the original topic

3. People who make first posts getting all rowdy and swinging their fists.

4. Single posts in reply to some major contribution such as "blue light, fix it" ;-)

5. Paul and the mods seem to have abandoned this particular corner of the web. Multiple requests for stickies to help noobs have fallen on deaf ears.

6. Just too difficult to seperate the wheat from the chaff with so many repeat threads and all of the above. I don't have enough time to filter it all out.

7. People who post "don't worry, I fixed it" without saying what they did or never come back letting you know if something worked.

and so on.

I know it's just the way it is and trying to change behaviours is like starfish on the beach. It's just worn me out.

Enjoy your Vega, I'm off to be a leecher....

Edited by simonta

Guest ViPaSoft

Is it safe to overclock to this level. I would have thought that the possibility of heat damage will increase with higher overclocking as well as lower battery life.

Let us know how long the battery lasts and whether the Vega feels warmer or occasionally laggy running at 1.6ghz.

Thanks.

Guest newbe5
Welcome, and a good opening post. I couldn't agree more with you. Folks have no clue how much effort any dev worth doing takes and to get a post like " thingy doesn't work, please fix" is, how to say it delicately, cr*p.

Sadly, you will come to learn that there are some facts of life around forums that you either learn to live with or throw in the towel. Sadly, I'm close to the latter. I've tried my best to be a significant contributor but have "hit the wall". I've got a project underway, to try to banish the USB driver problems with an auto installer, but it will be my last. Probably not a bad thing, new blood and all, and I'm far too modest to think that anyone will actually care but for what it's worth, these are the things I have not been able to live with.

1. Folks who start new topics without searching or trying to help themselves.

2. New posts asking questions about a particular topic which are already answered in the original topic

3. People who make first posts getting all rowdy and swinging their fists.

4. Single posts in reply to some major contribution such as "blue light, fix it" ;-)

5. Paul and the mods seem to have abandoned this particular corner of the web. Multiple requests for stickies to help noobs have fallen on deaf ears.

6. Just too difficult to seperate the wheat from the chaff with so many repeat threads and all of the above. I don't have enough time to filter it all out.

and so on.

I know it's just the way it is and trying to change behaviours is like starfish on the beach. It's just worn me out.

Enjoy your Vega, I'm off to be a leecher....

Mate, the day you throw in the towel will be a sad day for the first this whole community. There are countless people who have benefited from your patience and wisdom, and your usb tool is one of the finest things ever to come out of these forums, it's an absolute must for any beginner.

I have a strange feeling that the mods may start taking more of an interest in sticking posts in the vega forum once the advent of competition has ended as i get the impression they are reluctant to stick posts with contributions as it may give that entry an unfair amount of attention before the judging takes place. I hope this is the case, as this forum needs a lot of attention.

I am a huge followed of your work, and I urge people to pay attention to the points you raised above, although I doubt it will change much for nthe long run unfortunately. I really do like a try and keep my cool in most situations, but seriously...

How hard is it to search? Didn't you find this forum through google? Don't stop at the hotel when you need to find your room guys...

newbe5

Edited by newbe5

Guest newbe5

Brilliant first post and a huge Thankyou for your donation! Drinking a cold one right now in your name bud!

newbe5

Guest Panayioti

How did you do this?

Guest goldenbolux

Thanks once again for the ron

Just a quick question

Battery lifewith this ron has been good up until I watched a film just now

it is using over 3% a minute

anyone else have this problem

Was using rockplayer

thanks

Guest wilx01

Great ROM

Automount of FAT and NTFS devices..... I put in host mode, but I can't see my FAT32 USB stick or my NTFS hard drive... where do they mount? where can I see them ?

Got over clock working... so what is the normal clock speed? If I want to stop overclocking, do I just uninstall setCPU?

Thanks

Guest peter a
Forgot to say wifi was switched off

From my tests wifi doesn't use that much, only about 2% per hour.

I've found that I'm running down the battery a bit faster than it should do.

I think, because the can install any app you have a tendency to mad which doesn't help.

I'm killing the battery in 4 hour what ever I do.

Guest mintvilla
From my tests wifi doesn't use that much, only about 2% per hour.

I've found that I'm running down the battery a bit faster than it should do.

I think, because the can install any app you have a tendency to mad which doesn't help.

I'm killing the battery in 4 hour what ever I do.

turn off autosync - you'l be amazed at how much you save doing this.

menu - settings - accounts & sync

Guest goldenbolux

Got auto sync switched off

I have setpc set to a maximum 1400000. Or whatever. So not sure if while. Watching the film it was going at full pelt

Have reduced again in setpc to see if it makes a difference next time

The drain has generally beenquite good up until thus point

Guest godmode
How did you do this?

Hey there, i just added 1600000 to my setcpu.txt file on the root of my sdcard. Then used setcpu to change max freq. Have not noticed any major side effects yet. Battery life seems fine, its not any hotter and it very stable!__