New Version Vega

Guest RubyWoo

Guest RubyWoo

Hey guys!

Probably going to pick up a Vega from PC World tomorrow, I see that a few people on here were having problems with their Vegas which they purchased from the first release batches, and that some were able to return theirs for the newer models..

If I get a Vega tomorrow is there anyway to tell which version I'm getting? Any differences in the hardware, which firmware should it have etc...?

Would like to ensure that it's the latest version I'm getting which doesn't have the touchscreen and double type issues, don't want to end up one that's been knocking about in the store room for the past few months that's an older model.

Cheers! :)

Guest Minimonkey

They will all have the same hardware but with a newer system image on. Which will be wiped off when you put a custom image on anyway.

Edited by Minimonkey

Guest mintvilla
They will all have the same hardware but with a newer system image on. Which will be wiped off when you put a custom image on anyway.

and also at the price these things were, the dixons group couldnt keep them instock, they fully sold out before christmas. So there shouldnt be any old ones left knocking around that had been there for a few months. (also dont go into store to buy it, by it off dixons website, there only 199 there.

Guest mxbob

do we actually know there have been no hardware revisions? The only reason i ask is because i have seen a bumber of posts suggesting the new models have no double typing issues

now mine has always had double typing issues

it has certainly improved with custom roms (and the screen config app) and is certainly pretty damn useable as it is but its not perfect

are you saying this can be totally fixed with a software upgrade? if so which one

thanks

Guest Minimonkey
do we actually know there have been no hardware revisions? The only reason i ask is because i have seen a bumber of posts suggesting the new models have no double typing issues

it has certainly improved with custom roms (and the screen config app) and is certainly pretty damn useable as it is but its not perfect

are you saying this can be totally fixed with a software upgrade? if so which one

thanks

No new hardware. Corvus new Rom out Today (20/04/2011) is dam good and you can overclock the CPU to 1.4Ghz! Have you tried a different keyboard?

Smart Keyboard Pro and Thump Keyboard are really good, much better than the stock one with no typing problems.

Edited by Minimonkey

Guest premieral
No new hardware. Corvus new Rom out Today (20/04/2011) is dam good and you can overclock the CPU to 1.4Ghz! Have you tried a different keyboard?

Smart Keyboard Pro and Thump Keyboard are really good, much better than the stock one with no typing problems.

has overclocking made any difference to the performance?

Guest Minimonkey
has overclocking made any difference to the performance?

Not had it on long but its running very nice.

Check out their smartbench results.

Edited by Minimonkey

Guest mxbob

yeah im going to give the new corvus rom a go tonight

ive tried a few different keyboard non of them make any difference to the performance they just mean different keys repeat (due to different key placement)

honestly its been a lot lot better since I got the screen config utility that sorted most of the double press issues and I can happily use it most of the time without problems but there is a point along the bottom of the screen (under the spacebar on the standard keyboard) that double presses whenever i touch it

simple solution is use a keyboard that has nothign important in that area

Guest Minimonkey
yeah im going to give the new corvus rom a go tonight

ive tried a few different keyboard non of them make any difference to the performance they just mean different keys repeat (due to different key placement)

honestly its been a lot lot better since I got the screen config utility that sorted most of the double press issues and I can happily use it most of the time without problems but there is a point along the bottom of the screen (under the spacebar on the standard keyboard) that double presses whenever i touch it

simple solution is use a keyboard that has nothign important in that area

On Smart Keyboard pro you can run the calibration tool and adjust the height of the keys which worked wonders. Using Thump keyboard at mo which makes it easier to hold and type.

Guest mxbob
On Smart Keyboard pro you can run the calibration tool and adjust the height of the keys which worked wonders. Using Thump keyboard at mo which makes it easier to hold and type.

interesting

i did think id tried smart keyboard pro but dont remember seeing anything like that so i might be mistaken i will take a look at that

thanks

Guest princeotter

thanks

I have just had my 1st batch Vega replaced due to volume button breaking and have found that when plugged in I am not getting the double characters. So either they have improved the screen or just made the power pack regulated - unfortunately I suspect the latter. Anyway now on to installing Corvus/Newbe's new rom and reinstall all my apps. Still it least it meant I had a clean up lol. Will post more if I find any other improvements from original batch