CM7 universal converter

Guest kallt_kaffe

Guest MidaMilunk
still surprised how many have not used wbaw's gen1 to gen2 tpt method http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...n2-tpt-upgrade/

completely safe, and you keep imei, and can revert to gen1 if needed. Also has the advantage of being able to use cm7 without needing a converter

afaik no TPT process can be completely safe - by nature. I prefer waiting for the upgraded converter because of the charging restart problem on ZTE Blade - which is the only problem I have encountered using NB 42.

Anyway - I see that the quoted conversion method is a really good one! May give it a chance... but I am a bit afraid of the TPT itself. G2 is not really important for me, I was not happy at all to hear that CM community has decided to give up Gen1 support.

Guest MidaMilunk
afaik no TPT process can be completely safe - by nature. I prefer waiting for the upgraded converter because of the charging restart problem on ZTE Blade - which is the only problem I have encountered using NB 42.

Anyway - I see that the quoted conversion method is a really good one! May give it a chance... but I am a bit afraid of the TPT itself. G2 is not really important for me, I was not happy at all to hear that CM community has decided to give up Gen1 support.

A have risked the TPT process anyway... so far, so good, I have absolutely no problem with 7.0.2 - tbh I have not charged the phone since the installation, just for half an hour in the car, but it survived even this :)

Guest kallt_kaffe

Updated the repo with Jacobs latest commits and compiled new kernels. Not tested as I am not currently running CM7 on my phone.

Guest sm4tik

Although I wasn't supposed to do this until we've moved, I installed the gen2 20110426 kernel (ahb version) and everything's running normal so far. Just thought I'd say it atleast boots ok, no extensive testing done though :mellow:

Guest heavyduty00

do i instlal the normal universal converter or ahb universal converter?

also do i need to wipe if i am moving from cm7 stable to cm7.02

Guest Schwinni
still surprised how many have not used wbaw's gen1 to gen2 tpt method http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...n2-tpt-upgrade/

completely safe, and you keep imei, and can revert to gen1 if needed. Also has the advantage of being able to use cm7 without needing a converter

I will wait until there's a way to use customized partition layouts.

Guest sm4tik
I will wait until there's a way to use customized partition layouts.

It was discussed briefly here. Please make sure you read the rest of the story if there is any(?), I haven't followed the discussion further, but thought I'd dig that up now that I still remembered where it was :mellow:

Edited by sm4tik

Guest sm4tik
Does this work with all the Nightlies from N41+. Does it work for N57?

Yes. Note that officially the latest kernel was updated for 7.0.2, but there haven't been any changes to it since. I don't know how the new kernel will behave with releases older than 7.0.2, but if you want to go for something less than the stable release and run into trouble, use one of the older kernel versions.

Guest heavyduty00

Does anyone know after wiping my phone, do i restore apps only or apps with data, because i heard if u restore apps with data it can cause ur phone some problems?

Guest Maringer
Does anyone know after wiping my phone, do i restore apps only or apps with data, because i heard if u restore apps with data it can cause ur phone some problems?

I think problems can only really occur if you are restoring apps + data from Eclair or Froyo.

I've certainly restored apps via Titanium when upgrading CM7 versions without any apparent problems.

Make sure you don't restore any system apps, however.

Guest eMarcus

Hello,

Just some questions about the system partition size required to run the converter:

It was stated that a 128MB system partition is too small to hold the converter and the new ROM.

1. How do I see how big my system partition is?

2. How can I repartition (is there an fdisk?) and how which size is recommended?

3. It was also mentioned the possibility to shrink the custom ROM by deleting some files in the .zip file. How do I know how much I must delete?

4. What happens if I try to install the GEN2 ROM+converter on a GEN1 phone and it does not fit into the sytem parition? is the installation just aborted and I end up with the ROM that was previously installed, or will I brick the phone?

Thanks for clarification!

bye

Marcus.

Guest Schwinni
It was discussed briefly here. Please make sure you read the rest of the story if there is any(?), I haven't followed the discussion further, but thought I'd dig that up now that I still remembered where it was :mellow:

Ahh OK, thanks.

Perhaps I'm gonna try that.

But, wbaw found a way to get 2MB back, which have been lost due to the changed partition for the radio.

I don't think the sizing tool can do that yet, while I'm quite sure wbaw will build that into his script when (hopefully) updating it for Gen2. :o

Guest TRKOSTAS

after 5 days in GEN2 today i decide to return to GEN 1 again.

cm7 on Gen 2 caused me only troubles (Freezes, blackscreens, crapy sound, wifi disconnects) GEN 1 with converter its much more stable for me !

Edited by TRKOSTAS

Guest Coyote74
The fact that you don't know how big it is suggest you've never changed it which means it's still stock? Which is much larger than 128mb.

Repartitioning is done via TPT. You'd know if you'd done it. :mellow: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...ol-alpha3-gen1/

So if i haven't modify the stock partitions, are there no problems to instal CM7 gen2 with the universal converter on a Gen1?

Guest Grain
So if i haven't modify the stock partitions, are there no problems to instal CM7 gen2 with the universal converter on a Gen1?

No problems with that setup regarding partition size.

Guest Grain
  • Keep in mind that recent CM7 versions + gapps does NOT fit in a 128Mb system partition anymore. If you, like me, do not have time or are to lazy to repartition, removing RomManager.apk and bootanimation.zip is enough (at least on N41) to make it fit.

Kallt_Kaffe, can you change the wording so that it becomes clear that with stock partitioning everything's okay?

Also, can you add a note that you should NOT use RomManager on a GEN1 phone? The ClockworkMod it flashes is GEN2 only.

Guest lfrankie
I can confirm this works on Gen1.

Procedure

1. Downloaded cm7_universal_converter_ahb.zip MD5: 7B02779767C26F6F29DD6DB65A0C44B1

2. Downloaded CM 41

3. Copy to sd card

4. Start phone in clock work recovery.

5. Apply CM 41 zip

6. Apply cm7_universal_converter_ahb.zip

7. Reboot phone.

Nice one.

Hi,

:mellow: sorry so much but I don't understand if can using converter every time without loose my data! :o

(wipe is mandatory or not?)

Thanks.