Transformer connect to a WIFI hotspot enabled android phone (Nexus One)?

Guest Qiu ZhenMing

Guest Qiu ZhenMing

Hi,

I'm interested to know if we turn our Android Phone to WIFI Hotspot. Will the Transformer detect the WIFI and able to connect to it?

Thanks in advance

Guest Turbo_lew
Hi,

I'm interested to know if we turn our Android Phone to WIFI Hotspot. Will the Transformer detect the WIFI and able to connect to it?

Thanks in advance

No problem doing this, I do it all the time at work as we have no wifi.

I have a HTC Desire running Froyo, I've also tried Gingerbread on the desire and that works too.

Guest andybarker

Would it use less battery if the Bluetooth Dial Up Networking, or LAN profile was used?

I've been thinking the Transformer would be excellent if it could use my mobile over Bluetooth so I don't have to turn the WiFi hotspot on / off when required.

Guest lynnd
Hi,

Thanks in advance

Has anyone managed to get a mobile phone connection using an android 2.1 phone. I use an HTC Hero. Bluetooth shows paired but not connected. I have tried pdanet, but can’t find software for the transformer. I suspect it’s a droid version issue as I I have managed to get a signal through my old windows mobile using Bluetooth. Any help much appreciated.

Has anyone managed to get a mobile phone connection using an android 2.1 phone. I use an HTC Hero. Bluetooth shows paired but not connected. I have tried pdanet, but can’t find software for the transformer. I suspect it’s a droid version issue as I I have managed to get a signal through my old windows mobile using Bluetooth. Any help much appreciated.

I have an HTC hero too and it tethers over bluetooth with no problems. I'm running gingerbread but I don't think that makes much difference. Have you gone into bluetooth on your tablet and tapped on HTC hero to connect once its paired? I use wireless tether for root on my hero, no additional software required on the transformer.

Guest andybarker
I have an HTC hero too and it tethers over bluetooth with no problems. I'm running gingerbread but I don't think that makes much difference. Have you gone into bluetooth on your tablet and tapped on HTC hero to connect once its paired? I use wireless tether for root on my hero, no additional software required on the transformer.

Thanks for the info. I'm not very familiar with Android (but looking to convert soon), and this sounds great! Have used my Windows Mobile phone to create a WiFi hotspot, and it sucks the battery dry all too quickly. Bluetooth seems to be much more power efficient for this - I use it with my laptop quite often.

Guest lynnd

Thanks for the reply, tether for root doesn't work, my hero isn't rooted and not being a techie I'm trying to avoid rooting.

Thanks for the reply, tether for root doesn't work, my hero isn't rooted and not being a techie I'm trying to avoid rooting.

There is an app called 'cobaltblue trial' in the market that might work. I've never used it myself but it says it tethers over Bluetooth without root.

Guest leisurefix

Please can you give a bit more detail (what did you use to root the Hero, did you have any problems installing wireless tether as I keep on getting an error probably due to having not fully rooted) on how you got this to work, I have tried using "universal androot" to root my htc hero, this allows temporary rooting/unrooting, and then have tried a few tethering programs but could not get bluetooth tethering to work.

I know it is not possible to use WiFi to tether the HTC Hero with 2.1 as that version can only do ad-hoc tethering, and the Transformer cannot connect to an adhoc network.

Guest lynnd
There is an app called 'cobaltblue trial' in the market that might work. I've never used it myself but it says it tethers over Bluetooth without root.

Thanks not able to make it work.

Please can you give a bit more detail (what did you use to root the Hero, did you have any problems installing wireless tether as I keep on getting an error probably due to having not fully rooted) on how you got this to work, I have tried using "universal androot" to root my htc hero, this allows temporary rooting/unrooting, and then have tried a few tethering programs but could not get bluetooth tethering to work.

I know it is not possible to use WiFi to tether the HTC Hero with 2.1 as that version can only do ad-hoc tethering, and the Transformer cannot connect to an adhoc network.

Sorry I rooted mine over a year ago so I can't remember, I'm sure the methods are different now anyway. Your best bet would be to check out the hero section on the xda developers forum. I didn't have any problems with wireless tether, it installed fine and everything works smoothly; so I guess maybe its not rooted probably like you say. Sorry I can't be more help.

Guest Deeko1

I can tether my Nexus S with no problems but can't get my HTC Hero to work at all!

I've tried CM7rc11 (Gingerbread) and FroydVillian 1.7.2 with aNetShare and WifiTether and the connection just doesn't show up on the transformer. Strangely my iPod Touch sees the connection, connects but doesn't work either. I'm trying to use a 3 Data SIM Card (3Gb)....

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Guest Deeko1
I can tether my Nexus S with no problems but can't get my HTC Hero to work at all!

I've tried CM7rc11 (Gingerbread) and FroydVillian 1.7.2 with aNetShare and WifiTether and the connection just doesn't show up on the transformer. Strangely my iPod Touch sees the connection, connects but doesn't work either. I'm trying to use a 3 Data SIM Card (3Gb)....

Any ideas?

Thanks,

I've managed to get it working via bluetooth! Hooray! :-)

I've managed to get it working via bluetooth! Hooray! :-)

Yeh it's because with the hero you can only create an ad-hoc connection which isn't supported in honeycomb. I think Bluetooth uses less battery anyway :)