Advent Vega or HTC Flyer?

Guest Stevonator

Guest Stevonator

Hey,

I'm getting paid soon and when I do I'll be able to afford a Advent Vega woo :) However I'm wondering whether to save another month for the new HTC Flyer being released on the 17th of May. I like the idea of the Flyer, however, 480 quid for a 7 inch tablet which only has WIFI is a little steep isn't it?

I'm not to fussed on the fact the Flyer has a 1.5 GHZ single core processor in it's heart, as all dual core processors have like 1.1 or 1.2 speeds which means the device will only ever run as fast as those speeds. The Flyer also comes with this cool looking 'Magic Pen' which you can use to draw on absolutely everything on the Flyer.

However the Flyer runs on Android 2.3 Gingerbread and not the all new Honeycomb. Which again I'm not to fussed on. HTC look like they've put a lot of effort into making 2.3 there own. I don't just buy something because it's new and everyone's got it, I buy it because it's worth buying.

And on that note, that makes me want to buy the Vega because it may be cheap, but my god can it be customised. It has a 1 GHZ dual core processor which can be overclocked to a whopping 1.4 GHZ. You can add many features which aren't already pre-installed on the device and make it look like the new Honeycomb, but have it running on the proven reliability of 2.2.

It also has a capacitive 10.1 inch screen rather then a 7 inch screen. Which gives you much more real estate.

So guys what do you think? I'm itching for a new gadget to play with I'm just not sure whether or not I should hold on for that little bit longer. Please help me out here !! :)

Guest Kevrae

I really think you answered your own question in your post flyer(yeah good but not to fussed about everything that makes it different) and then when you start to talk about the vega your excitement really comes through.

I bought the vega and every week it continues to impress me. For example last night I put the new Corvus 5 rom on along with partner2's honeycomb theme and it has just turned it into a new device. Truly as impressed as the first day I bought it. Oh and with the 1.4ghz overclock its truly epic.

Guest Stevonator
I really think you answered your own question in your post flyer(yeah good but not to fussed about everything that makes it different) and then when you start to talk about the vega your excitement really comes through.

I bought the vega and every week it continues to impress me. For example last night I put the new Corvus 5 rom on along with partner2's honeycomb theme and it has just turned it into a new device. Truly as impressed as the first day I bought it. Oh and with the 1.4ghz overclock its truly epic.

Cheers Kevrae,

Looks like I'll be buying the Advent Vega :) Can't wait !!!

Guest Albedo39
Hey,

I'm getting paid soon and when I do I'll be able to afford a Advent Vega woo :) However I'm wondering whether to save another month for the new HTC Flyer being released on the 17th of May. I like the idea of the Flyer, however, 480 quid for a 7 inch tablet which only has WIFI is a little steep isn't it?

I'm not to fussed on the fact the Flyer has a 1.5 GHZ single core processor in it's heart, as all dual core processors have like 1.1 or 1.2 speeds which means the device will only ever run as fast as those speeds. The Flyer also comes with this cool looking 'Magic Pen' which you can use to draw on absolutely everything on the Flyer.

However the Flyer runs on Android 2.3 Gingerbread and not the all new Honeycomb. Which again I'm not to fussed on. HTC look like they've put a lot of effort into making 2.3 there own. I don't just buy something because it's new and everyone's got it, I buy it because it's worth buying.

And on that note, that makes me want to buy the Vega because it may be cheap, but my god can it be customised. It has a 1 GHZ dual core processor which can be overclocked to a whopping 1.4 GHZ. You can add many features which aren't already pre-installed on the device and make it look like the new Honeycomb, but have it running on the proven reliability of 2.2.

It also has a capacitive 10.1 inch screen rather then a 7 inch screen. Which gives you much more real estate.

So guys what do you think? I'm itching for a new gadget to play with I'm just not sure whether or not I should hold on for that little bit longer. Please help me out here !! :)

Guest Albedo39

I had the same dilema, as I've had a HTC Hero phone for over a year and love HTC's Sense UI, so was looking forward to a tablet from HTC.

But was a bit dissapointed when I found out it would only be a 7 inch model, and then charge £480 for the 16gb wi-fi model or £600 for the 32gb 3g model :)

I think Advent got the core ingredients right with the Vega - 10 inch Capacitive screen (not the horrible Resistive screens you get on the really budget tablets) :) , NVIDIA T20 Tegra 2 dual core processor (the same as in the £500 Motorola Zoom) :(

Also, a HDMI socket (this works well as I've tried it on some big screen LCD's and Plasma's), and a USB socket so you can easily drop files/pics into the memory card.

I've had my Vega for a couple of weeks and am happy with it.

Only slight negative is the viewing angle, but it's the same as viewing a laptop/netbook screen.

I would strongly recommend getting the Advent case and screen protector also, the case acts as a stand for it also so you can prop it up on your lap or table.

Oh, and you MUST install the modaco rom to get the best out of it ie Android Market.

Guest Stevonator

Ye I'm going to get the case with it to and most likely the screen protector because I don't want anything happening to my vega :)

And I'll be flashing it with a custom rom as soon as I get's it lol. I really can't wait to get it now I wish I didn't have to wait till thursday ! Thanks for all your responses :)

Quick question does the Vega come with a screen protector? Or will I have to buy one ?

Edited by Stevonator

Guest Kevrae

Bought seperatley when you buy it, if you buy from store ask to double check offers as I'm sure there are some what we call wbw (when bought with) codes for the case and screen protector.

Guest warriorscot

If you have the case you dont really need the screen protector that much IMO it does a good job of protecting it and screen protectors dont last that long any way and for the price they are poor value for money.

A vega is defanitely a better choice as tegra at 1ghz is going to beat faster non tegra cpus in most practical applications because it has hardware accelerated graphics and nobody is going to beat nvidia in that aspect unless ati enter the arm tablet market with a new product.

Agree with all the above, only had my Vega a few days but I love it already. Still on Paul's ROM with a few tweaks but its well impressive. Get anetshare on your Hero too for tethering.

Guest Bobby Elliott
If you have the case you dont really need the screen protector that much IMO it does a good job of protecting it and screen protectors dont last that long any way and for the price they are poor value for money.

Totally agree. Get a case. Forget the screen protector, which won't last, interfere with screen responsiveness, and is not needed... unless you plan to put the Vega into your pocket alongside keys. :)

Guest Stevonator

By the face I take it that's something you've done before and regretted :)

I don't see how I could possibly fit something 10 inches wide into my pocket anyway lmao AND have keys in there to! Mate you must have some HUGE pockets :)