Forum Tidying

Guest rferrett

Guest rferrett

Hi Folks,

I was wondering about this but maybe it is time for the pinned on this forum to be updated? What do people think my view is a fair few of the topics are now out of date (Kernel Source? CWM?).

I think there are a couple of things that are needed right at the top. One is a

"New Vega Owner READ THIS FIRST".

I reckon now that VegaFixer Beta is out, maybe someone could create an official MCR Rom (with CWM already done) that new users could flash using NVFlash and therefore get market, custom rom and CWM installed without having to go through what is often the pain in the proverbial for the ADB drivers?

Also I think we now need a pinned topic which is a directory of all the different utility programs people have been made and what they all do.

What do people think?

Guest trevor432990

I agree. There are many invaluable posts left drifting in the forum which if pinned would cut the number of repeat questions, ease frustration and reduce query search times considerably. Like this one for example :)

Edited by trevor432990

Guest rferrett

You know the more I think about it, the more I think a bespoke, official "MoDaCo Customer ROM: NVFlash" version could be the way forward for newbies. No messing around with drivers or ADB just a vanilla NVFlashable MCR rom (with CWM installed) so that all newbies have to do is download the file, get into NVFlash and click on a batch file. Bosh easy peasy lemon squesy!

This is surely a winner and a half.

There must be a drawback but for the life of me I cannot think of one.

Ralph

Guest zzleezz

Hope that someone starts to listen to requests such as this.

I consider modaco to be the home of the Vega but if we can't get a simple thing like an FAQ pinned then people will start to look for alternatives. I might come across a bit negative here but after requesting directly via these forums and twitter that the FAQ is stickied and also watching it get bumped again and again I don't hold out a lot of hope.

Please some admin/moderator prove me wrong.....

Guest warriorscot

I don't really think there is anything really out of date pinned that isn't still valuable. Maybe a couple of things could do with being pinned but honestly there are lots of things that are nice but not neccesary that pinning is a debatable choice and some of the tools are good but they would need thoroughly checked before pinning as it would be essentially making them modaco approved.

An updated version of the R8 compatible with Nvflash would be good but I assume it hasnt been done for a reason.

+1 from me, i think it would be great if a regular (trusted) poster is put on the admin team to manage the vega forum.............

+1 to that.

Guest rferrett
I don't really think there is anything really out of date pinned that isn't still valuable. Maybe a couple of things could do with being pinned but honestly there are lots of things that are nice but not neccesary that pinning is a debatable choice and some of the tools are good but they would need thoroughly checked before pinning as it would be essentially making them modaco approved.

An updated version of the R8 compatible with Nvflash would be good but I assume it hasnt been done for a reason.

My thoughts are the two drawback are either:-

1) Once a ROM is installed it is specific to an individual Vega and wont work on another. > Easy to test

2) Security issues, what if someone leaves accidently their credit card number. > Again easy for an Official MoDaCo or trusted ROM developer to sort.

I guess the tool to do this has only recently been released. Perhaps it isn't something Paul has thought of.

And Devs on the site speak to it's practicality?

Guest ViPaSoft

I think this Thread is important and fully agree that the forum should be tidied up. Pauls r8 rom is good,but there are a few other roms too that are equally good, [perhaps better], corvus5 for example.

How come all the pinned posts are by Paul too, is he scared of the competition from other devs.

I came here from the ArchosFans forum after exchanging my A70IT for a VEGA, there forum has constantly changing pinned topics as updates are released and they are not all by Charbax. Also they seem to have several Moderators that are constantly checking entries to keep the site tidy(ish).

The amount of double posts on here that never seem to get removed or people asking questions that are clearly answered in a couple of other threads that are at the top of the list seems ridiculous. (though I have done it myself once, but that was more from panic than laziness).

Anyway 'rferrett', I think your suggestion should be at least considered.

Still a great, and probably the best, VEGA forum on the net along with XDA of course.

Guest rferrett

Zebrahead has said on the VegaFixer that doing the NVFlashable Virgin ROM should be easy and he is going to have a look at it. So hopeflly that will be one good thing to have come out of this thread!

Guest vegafan

Brilliant idea! A pinned idiots guide to the vega with simple how to's and FAQ's would cure so many headaches that this tablet causes us ever increasing number of newbies who have come to android with no experience of this OS. One problem I have found is that when you search a topic somebody with superior knowledge always seems to hijack the post with jargon, abbreviations and links which add confusion to the subject by saying what you should have done and what you should have installed and how easy everything is. For the record NOTHING is easy when you are faced with new tech and a simple guide to the best way to set up an unbreakable tablet would be invaluable. A 'real world' guide and introduction to the world of installing a mod would also be wonderful. I for one found that installing the custom rom on 'win vista' bore no resemblance to what happened in real life and I thought that I was fairly computer savvy. There should be a separate and complete forum dedicated to newcomers like me and hopefully there would be altruistic 'experts' on hand to help out. Some say that I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one. If only DSG sold this tablet 'ready to use' out of the box with perhaps some basic instructions included.... but maybe that is too much to ask of a multi million pound international company....they obviously either can't afford to let us have a manual or don't give a toss once they have our money. Shame on them and Big Up to Modaco and this forum. Thanks guys.

Edited by vegafan