Switch USB mode?

Guest Bobbler

Guest Bobbler

Looking for a workaround to not having a screen working on the Vega.

I have a plan of using the internals of the device to power a in car system or alternatively clear it down and put it on eBay for spares. It is currently is debug/ADB mode so cannot use a mouse or similar to swipe unlock the device.

Is there any way to switch modes without unlocking the device? Change a config file or similar perhaps?

Guest simonta

I think you might be confused. Being in debug has no bearing on your ability to use a mouse. Do you mean that the USB port is in host mode?

Guest simonta
yes, that's the one, couldn't remember the name of it.

OK, how skilled are you with PC? 1-5?

With Vega? 1-5?

Which ROM do you have, mcr8?

Guest beegee1962
Looking for a workaround to not having a screen working on the Vega.

I have a plan of using the internals of the device to power a in car system or alternatively clear it down and put it on eBay for spares. It is currently is debug/ADB mode so cannot use a mouse or similar to swipe unlock the device.

Is there any way to switch modes without unlocking the device? Change a config file or similar perhaps?

Did you try to get your Vega into NV Recovery (back button - power+back button - back button)?

In this mode the Vega is always in slave mode.

Then you can flash a stock ROM and after boot your in slave mode.

Guest RockVacirca
Did you try to get your Vega into NV Recovery (back button - power+back button - back button)?

In this mode the Vega is always in slave mode.

Then you can flash a stock ROM and after boot your in slave mode.

Same has happened to me. I installed the USB switcher, then I put it in the mode whereby I could see the files on my USB stick. Later I powered off, and when I came to power on the Vega it just stuck on the Booting.... screen.

I tried the suggestion of (back button - power+back button - back button), but this was not entirely clear to me. How long to hold in the back button? Should I then release it then press power+back button together, if so, for how long, till I see the screen light up? Then release the power+back button? Then press the back button? For how long?

What happens after this sequence? Will it boot normally then?

Any clarifications gratefully received,

Rock

Edited by RockVacirca

Guest beegee1962
Same has happened to me. I installed the USB switcher, then I put it in the mode whereby I could see the files on my USB stick. Later I powered off, and when I came to power on the Vega it just stuck on the Booting.... screen.

I tried the suggestion of (back button - power+back button - back button), but this was not entirely clear to me. How long to hold in the back button? Should I then release it then pressPower+back button together, if so, for how long, till I see the screen light up? Then release the power+back button? Then press the back button? For how long?

What happens after this sequence? Will it boot normally then?

Any clarifications gratefully received,

Rock

The sequence is

press back button for 2-5 seconds and keep it pressed

press power button while back button still pressed for 2-5 seconds (if your USB is connected, you might hear a USB device connected sound). Screen stays black

release power button and keep back button pressed for another 2-5 seconds

The tablet is in NVFlash recovery mode then. In this mode the screen is black, nothing to see. In this mode you can either flash the BSODFixer to get your hanging tablet back to life or flash a stock ROM.

Guest RockVacirca
The sequence is

press back button for 2-5 seconds and keep it pressed

press power button while back button still pressed for 2-5 seconds (if your USB is connected, you might hear a USB device connected sound). Screen stays black

release power button and keep back button pressed for another 2-5 seconds

The tablet is in NVFlash recovery mode then. In this mode the screen is black, nothing to see. In this mode you can either flash the BSODFixer to get your hanging tablet back to life or flash a stock ROM.

Thanks beegee. Does BSODFixer and flashing from a stock ROM, both have the effect of wiping the Vega clean of all apps?

My goal is simply to get the Vega back booted up, while trying to avoid all the apps and tweaks I have made being lost. Is this possible, or am I faced with a 'back to basic setup'?

I guess I should not install that USB switcher again?

Thanks again,

Rock

Guest beegee1962
Thanks beegee. Does BSODFixer and flashing from a stock ROM, both have the effect of wiping the Vega clean of all apps?

My goal is simply to get the Vega back booted up, while trying to avoid all the apps and tweaks I have made being lost. Is this possible, or am I faced with a 'back to basic setup'?

I guess I should not install that USB switcher again?

Thanks again,

Rock

BSODFixer does not overwrite your apps or settings, it is just trying to get your tablet back to boot. If this doesn't work, then you need to flash a full stock ROM and that kills your apps and settings.

USB switcher is only working on the MoDaCo kernel that comes with the MoDaCo r8 ROM. All other kernels use different ways of switching from slave to host, so USB switcher doesn't work and you end up with a not booting device.

If your problem is after you used USB switcher on a non MoDaCo kernel, then it might help to just reflash the boot.img file. The BSODFixer app can be changed to do this.

Guest RockVacirca
BSODFixer does not overwrite your apps or settings, it is just trying to get your tablet back to boot. If this doesn't work, then you need to flash a full stock ROM and that kills your apps and settings.

USB switcher is only working on the MoDaCo kernel that comes with the MoDaCo r8 ROM. All other kernels use different ways of switching from slave to host, so USB switcher doesn't work and you end up with a not booting device.

If your problem is after you used USB switcher on a non MoDaCo kernel, then it might help to just reflash the boot.img file. The BSODFixer app can be changed to do this.

After BSODFixer not appearing to work, and much other to-ing and fro-ing, I decided to do a full system reflash (), using the official instructions at http://www.myadventvega.co.uk/full_system_...nstructions.pdf.

I installed the USB Flash driver, downloaded the system restore file 1.09, got the Vega into recovery mode, then launched the system restore file. A cmd window opened, which informed me that Nvflash had started. On the Vega it says at the top: "Entering NVFlash recovery mode /NV3P Server". However, that was over an hour ago, with no further messages/progress indications from the console. Does anyone know how long a full reflash typically takes? Should any messages or progress info appear in the console, or just the (press ENTER to exit) once the image is installed?

Rock

Edited by RockVacirca

Guest beegee1962
After much to-ing and fro-ing I decided to do a full system reflash, using the official instructions at http://www.myadventvega.co.uk/full_system_...nstructions.pdf.

I installed the USB Flash driver, downloaded the system restore file 1.09, got the Vega into recovery mode, then launched the system restore file. A cmd window opened, which informed me that Nvflash had started. However, that was over an hour ago, with no further messages/progress indications from the console. Does anyone know how long a full reflash typically takes? Should any messages or progress info appear in the console, or just the (press ENTER to exit) once the image is installed?

Rock

Full flash takes 5 to 10 minutes on my tablet.

Do you see any small text on the top left corner on your tablet? There should be something like blabla NVFlash recovery blabla

In the cmd window you should see immediately some text after it opened. Either it should say "Device not found" then you have USB driver problem or the tablet is not in NVFlash mode. Or you should see some progress text.

If you do not see both, retry to get your tablet into NVFlash recovery mode, try it with power plugged in. My tablets doesn't go to NVFlash without the power plugged in.

Guest RockVacirca
Full flash takes 5 to 10 minutes on my tablet.

Do you see any small text on the top left corner on your tablet? There should be something like blabla NVFlash recovery blabla

In the cmd window you should see immediately some text after it opened. Either it should say "Device not found" then you have USB driver problem or the tablet is not in NVFlash mode. Or you should see some progress text.

If you do not see both, retry to get your tablet into NVFlash recovery mode, try it with power plugged in. My tablets doesn't go to NVFlash without the power plugged in.

On the Vega it says at the top: "Entering NVFlash recovery mode /NV3P Server".

The cmd window says, in total:

C:\Users\Grace\AppData\Local\Temp>nvflash.exe --bct H5PS1G83EFR-S6C_V24_0625.bct

--setbct --bl bootloader.bin --configfile flash.cfg --odmdata 0x0b0c0075 --crea

te --go

Nvflash started

Nothing has changed in over 90 mins now. Should I start again? (Power cable is plugged in)

Rock

Edited by RockVacirca

Guest beegee1962
On the Vega it says at the top: "Entering NVFlash recovery mode /NV3P Server".

The cmd window says, in total:

C:\Users\Grace\AppData\Local\Temp>nvflash.exe --bct H5PS1G83EFR-S6C_V24_0625.bct

--setbct --bl bootloader.bin --configfile flash.cfg --odmdata 0x0b0c0075 --crea

te --go

Nvflash started

Nothing has changed in over 90 mins now. Should I start again?

Rock

Looks good on tablet and PC, just strange that it does not continue to flash.

Maybe you try again. Good thing is that this NVFlash recovery cannot be overwritten, so the Vega is not brickable (as long as the electronic memory parts are not damaged).

Guest RockVacirca
Looks good on tablet and PC, just strange that it does not continue to flash.

Maybe you try again. Good thing is that this NVFlash recovery cannot be overwritten, so the Vega is not brickable (as long as the electronic memory parts are not damaged).

OK, found the problem. The laptop and the Vega were connected to the mains via a 3-way adapter, that wasn't in fully (I found this as the laptop power icon said it was connected but not charging). So I removed the adapter, and plugged the Vega in directly. This time, going into recovery mode, and launching the system file, the cmd window gave lots of info about partitioning, sending data, progress, the works. In 1 min it told me to press Enter to continue, and doing so closed the cmd window. I then did a normal reboot of the Vega, and the lime-green Android appeared and all booted normally :)

Many thanks for bearing with me.

Any suggestions for any apps to install that will make recovery easier in future?

Rock

Guest beegee1962
OK, found the problem. The laptop and the Vega were connected to the mains via a 3-way adapter, that wasn't in fully (I found this as the laptop power icon said it was connected but not charging). So I removed the adapter, and plugged the Vega in directly. This time, going into recovery mode, and launching the system file, the cmd window gave lots of info about partitioning, sending data, progress, the works. In 1 min it told me to press Enter to continue, and doing so closed the cmd window. I then did a normal reboot of the Vega, and the lime-green Android appeared and all booted normally :)

Many thanks for bearing with me.

Any suggestions for any apps to install that will make recovery easier in future?

Rock

Install ClockWorkMod recovery. Make a nandroid backup.

Get VegaFixer and follow the instructions. When you get stuck next time, VegaFixer will flash the nandroid backup (including your apps and settings) and you are back to full working machine.

VegaFixer helped me many times already. Because I am playing around with framework-res and other system stuff I get often stuck with a none booting tablet.

Guest RockVacirca
Install ClockWorkMod recovery. Make a nandroid backup.

Get VegaFixer and follow the instructions. When you get stuck next time, VegaFixer will flash the nandroid backup (including your apps and settings) and you are back to full working machine.

VegaFixer helped me many times already. Because I am playing around with framework-res and other system stuff I get often stuck with a none booting tablet.

Many thanks, will do.

I didn't realise that a full restore doesn't actually change the contents of the microSD card, so my ROM download (O_G_Rom_Add-OnV3-1.zip, that gives me Market) was still there, as was my Home Page replacer (VTLLauncher_1_6_2.apk), and my downloaded pictures and videos :)

Now I just have figure why touching the O_G_Rom_Add-OnV3-1.zip does not install it as before, I am now getting an Application not available message.

Thanks again,

Rock