Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade

Guest wbaw

Guest Rotmann
I once had a TPT problem where it would not work

and I was told there needed to be around 500mb of free space on SD card for it to work

dont know if it aplies in this situation,just a thought

That was for the wbaw's TPT recovery and repartitioning. All people who are failing can't read/understand the instructions.

Guest burstlam
If I downgrade my Gen2 converted OLED using other methods and manage to keep the correct IMEI, can I use this TPT for safe jumping generations from then on ?:)

download process may mess up ur IMEI

but u can restore it by the CHANNEL1.NVM backup (locate in the same folder of the upgrade downloader program)

file with the the official download program in my post.

Edited by burstlam

If I downgrade my Gen2 converted OLED using other methods and manage to keep the correct IMEI, can I use this TPT for safe jumping generations from then on ?:)

The first bit is the hard part to get right. If you have a stock Gen2 phone, or updated using the windows flashing program, then you're best forgetting Gen1 & leaving your poor phone alone, the risks don't seem to be worth any small benefit you might get.

Guest hecatae

I've just spent 6 hours getting my blade back to booting correctly, I would not risk it at present

Guest mELIANTE
I've just spent 6 hours getting my blade back to booting correctly, I would not risk it at present

Ok. It's just to get all the potential of the machine. As long as CM7 stays Gen2 I don't care :)

Guest elastico

This cache business is making me confused. Is 2 MB enough?

I still want to be able to install large apps from the market and I have read several claims that one should have around 15 MB for this to work properly.

Guest dibbles

You know that I had similar issues from what I posted but could you share a little of yours please..?

Guest targetbsp
This cache business is making me confused. Is 2 MB enough?

I still want to be able to install large apps from the market and I have read several claims that one should have around 15 MB for this to work properly.

Both the gen 2 roms use the sd card for download cache :)

Guest KACE_231

Erm after I do the upgrade from GEN1 to GEN2 is it safe to format the /system directory with clockwork? And finally when I unzip the TPT file, I place the "image" folder directly into the SD Card, right?

Edited by KACE_231

Guest dadashi

Can I install my Gen1 SS-RLS5 nandroid backup after I do the Gen1>Gen2...? Apparently SS RLSx are all Gen1/Gen2 compatible....

I asked a couple of pages back but got no reply... If it's possible it would be great

Can I install my Gen1 SS-RLS5 nandroid backup after I do the Gen1>Gen2...? Apparently SS RLSx are all Gen1/Gen2 compatible....

I highly doubt that. See, the installer determines which Gen the phone is and then extracts the corresponding kernel and RIL libs. When you've done the conversion to Gen2, your NANDroid backup simply contains the wrong kernel and libs. So it is highly likely, that your phone doesn't boot.

Guest dadashi

Thanx, sounds about right....I'll do a titanium backup of all my apps for the new rom

EDIT:

WoW, I just did the update, easy as pie...I'm glad I waited for this rather than the windows update method...

Edited by dadashi

Guest shad0wboss
Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v2.zip mirror 4ea60b28b6a7f62dcb05a55b90e9131f (2mb cache, 136 mb system, 302mb data. 0 oem) - Download size 16.1mb

This will convert your phone to Gen2. You will lose your data.

Nandroid backup first, copy a gen2 rom to your sd card ready to install, then unzip this tpt image to your sd card. Power off, take the battery out, replace the battery then power on with menu & vol+ held. It should take about a minute & then boot into a compatible version of ClockworkMod recovery, use that to wipe data & then install your Gen2 rom.

CM7-N42-Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT.zip mirror 78c7c3d5e37edc91fb358b5afa5e4c56 (2mb cache, 136 mb system, 302mb data. 0 oem) - Download size 103.4mb

Did that all sound like too much hard work? This version will upgrade from Gen1 to Gen2, wipe data, install CM7 Nightly 42, gapps & Clockworkmod. All in one TPT to give you the latest CM7 nightly & Gen2 firmware, for any Gen1 Blade.

Just unzip it to your sd card, then power off, power on with menu & volume+ held, then wait a few minutes for it to install.

It is reversible using any Gen1 full TPT (links below), but this will only work on phones that have been upgraded using this method, not phones bought with Gen2 or upgraded with the windows software.

Why there are two methods? i'm confused about this

This includes a mix of Gen1 & Gen2 firmware files to make it work. Everything important for roms is Gen2 ... here are the files.

Gen1: cefs.mbn, oemsbl.mbn, oemsblhd.mbn, partition.mbn, qcsbl.mbn, qcsbl_cfgdata.mbn

Gen2: amss.mbn, amsshd.mbn, appsboot.mbn, appsboothd.mbn, partition_zte.mbn

What does this suppose to be for?

Why there are two methods? i'm confused about this

The first one just installs clockworkmod & you have to install your own Gen2 rom. The second one installs CM7 nightly 42. Pick which one you want. Maybe try reading the first post before asking questions.

What does this suppose to be for?

If you don't understand it then that part of the post isn't for you.

Guest shad0wboss
The first one just installs clockworkmod & you have to install your own Gen2 rom. The second one installs CM7 nightly 42. Pick which one you want. Maybe try reading the first post before asking questions.

If you don't understand it then that part of the post isn't for you.

i thought upgrading to gen2 was a different process and not just installing gen2 roms. What if i have clockwork installed on gen1...is it just installing gen2 rom? which unlocks the 850mhz network?

Guest reluctant_traveller
i thought upgrading to gen2 was a different process and not just installing gen2 roms. What if i have clockwork installed on gen1...is it just installing gen2 rom? which unlocks the 850mhz network?

the difference is in the firmware, i.e. the hardware itself.

Gen2 firmware has the instructions to allow 850Mhz radio channel, as well as some updated software for other parts of the hardware.

Once you flash to Gen2, you still need an OS/ROM to run on it, so you need a Gen2 compatible ROM.

The second link updates the firmware to gen2 PLUS installs a gen2 version of CM7, whereas the 1st link just updates the firmware so you can choose your own OS/ROM for to install.

I apologise for the lack of punctuation, trying to type this fast.

Guest shad0wboss
the difference is in the firmware, i.e. the hardware itself.

Gen2 firmware has the instructions to allow 850Mhz radio channel, as well as some updated software for other parts of the hardware.

Once you flash to Gen2, you still need an OS/ROM to run on it, so you need a Gen2 compatible ROM.

The second link updates the firmware to gen2 PLUS installs a gen2 version of CM7, whereas the 1st link just updates the firmware so you can choose your own OS/ROM for to install.

I apologise for the lack of punctuation, trying to type this fast.

Thanks a lot to make this clear, so that means, first step is to convert gen1 to gen2 and then the 2nd link is to install a gen2 rom which can be either CM7 gen2 or another custom rom for gen2.

Thanks a lot to make this clear, so that means, first step is to convert gen1 to gen2 and then the 2nd link is to install a gen2 rom which can be either CM7 gen2 or another custom rom for gen2.

No, just use the second link, everything will work ok, your phone will be gen2 & it will be running gen2 cm7. The second link does everything for you.

Edited by wbaw

Guest hugobosslives

wbaw,

what clockwork version is in the first link (the normal gen conversion tpt)

in the second link it says "This version uses HCDRJacob's Gen2 ClockworkMod"

so what does the normal conversion use?

just wondering whether i wana change it myself

thanks

wbaw,

what clockwork version is in the first link (the normal gen conversion tpt)

in the second link it says "This version uses HCDRJacob's Gen2 ClockworkMod"

so what does the normal conversion use?

just wondering whether i wana change it myself

thanks

Both the Gen2 upgrade TPTs are using a version of Clockworkmod 3.0.1.4 that HCDRJacob compiled for Gen2. There is now an official Gen2 Clockworkmod 3.0.2.7 so you might want to replace that, but there's no urgent need & you can easily update using the updated version of rom manager from the market.

The Gen1 TPTs are using the official version of Clockworkmod 3.0.1.4

Edited by wbaw

Guest ootyposoo

I need help, I have extracted the Image file into my phone, but still when I am trying to boot with the home and vol+ button pressed down it stacks on the green guy and is doing nothing! Ive been w8ing for about 15-20 mins! :)

Guest Cobble
I need help, I have extracted the Image file into my phone, but still when I am trying to boot with the home and vol+ button pressed down it stacks on the green guy and is doing nothing! Ive been w8ing for about 15-20 mins! :)

It's the menu and vol + buttons.

Guest ootyposoo
It's the menu and vol + buttons.

Ah yes Thats what I wanted to say, the menu button is what I press, still it wont upgrade my phone to gen2!

EDIT: Ow yeah I did it :)

I had to press power on, menu and vol+ all together at the same time and not power on on and THEN menu and vol+!

Thanks Cobble for the reply and wbaw for this brilliant work! :)

Edited by ootyposoo