Problems when playing videos over HDMI

Guest AFK_Matrix

Guest AFK_Matrix

Hi,

I have used UPnPlay to stream my movies to my transformer in either avi or mkv format with no problem. But I have just tried to play a few mkv movies while the transformer is attached to my tv via HDMI and I get really bad stuttering and it even completely crashed my transformer.

So whats the problem, as it seems avi's play with no problems on the tv??

Thanks.

Guest Deus_ex11

If its playing ok and not lagging, but it does it when you connect to tv with HDMI, then its most likely the cable or your tv thats the problem. Try a different cable, a HDMI 1.3 rated one.

Guest AFK_Matrix
If its playing ok and not lagging, but it does it when you connect to tv with HDMI, then its most likely the cable or your tv thats the problem. Try a different cable, a HDMI 1.3 rated one.

Well I'll have to go get another cable then as I don't have any other mini ones. Looks like it isn't the file type as I thought as it does it with the same movie but encoded as avi, so will try a different cable when i can get one. Just strange that it plays other avi files I have so wondering if its the way its been encoded.

Guest SilentMobius
Well I'll have to go get another cable then as I don't have any other mini ones. Looks like it isn't the file type as I thought as it does it with the same movie but encoded as avi, so will try a different cable when i can get one. Just strange that it plays other avi files I have so wondering if its the way its been encoded.

The Transformer can't play AVIs or MKVs... does UPnPlay have its own decode engine? or does it request transcoding or something?

Guest Deus_ex11

Put the same files onto the transformer and try it again. If its not stuttering then the cable is ok, that leaves the UPnPlay and the router thats affecting the stream to your tv via hdmi.

Guest AFK_Matrix
The Transformer can't play AVIs or MKVs... does UPnPlay have its own decode engine? or does it request transcoding or something?

Well I believe it uses one of the installed players, so I have Rockplayer and have also tried moboplayer not sure how it does the playing though? But on the actual pad it plays both the mkv and avi videos perfectly with no issues. Its just when I connect it to the tv via HDMI that it starts to have problems. But then it doesn't have problems with all the avi's as I have just sat and watch and avi movie all the way through with no issues so I am a tad confused!!

Guest SilentMobius
Well I believe it uses one of the installed players, so I have Rockplayer and have also tried moboplayer not sure how it does the playing though? But on the actual pad it plays both the mkv and avi videos perfectly with no issues. Its just when I connect it to the tv via HDMI that it starts to have problems. But then it doesn't have problems with all the avi's as I have just sat and watch and avi movie all the way through with no issues so I am a tad confused!!

Ok, so you must be using rockplayer, which means that you're decoding in software. Rockplayer might be doing something fancy to try and speed up its encoding (like decoding onto a lower rez canvas they stretching that to fill the screen) When using HDMI to mirror the transformer switches to 1280x720 shaving the bottom 80px off the screen, this may be upsetting rockplayer causing the slowdows.

Frankly I'm surprised you can output via HDMI at all with rockplayer. IMHO if your not using the internal Android media engine you're going to get odd behaviour. And that can't currently parse MKV or AVI containers

Edited by SilentMobius

Guest AFK_Matrix
Ok, so you must be using rockplayer, which means that you're decoding in software. Rockplayer might be doinf something fancy to try and speed up its encoding (like decoding onto a lower rez canvas they stretching that to fill the screen) When using HDMI to mirror the transformer switches to 1280x720 shaving the bottom 80px off the screen, this may be upsetting rockplayer causing the slowdows.

Frankly I'm surprised you can output via HDMI at all with rockplayer. IMHO if your not using the internal Android media engine you're going to get odd behaviour. And that can't currently parse MKV or AVI containers

Well it's very weird as I have now used a ton of programs to convert the original video_TS folder into an avi and the majority of the avis still stutter etc when shown over HDMI but 2 programs I used do work over HDMI. Which is plain weird as the codec is the same so I am stumped as to why they are working. So I either have to convert all my videos again or wait for Plex to release their tablet app :-[