A real noobs question....

Guest aj2703

Guest aj2703

Hi guys.

OK feel a bit dumb asking this but...

When i browse the internet etc, how do i close the screen down when i am finished so it isn't running in the background kinda like pressing the "X" on a windows pc..? Whenever i finish i can press the home icon and the screen reverts to the desktop but when i select browser again it opens back up at the last page i viewed..?. I am using task manager at the moment but is there a more obvious and easy way to do this?.

Many Thanks. :)

Guest premieral
Hi guys.

When i browse the internet etc, how do i close the screen down when i am finished so it isn't running in the background kinda like pressing the "X" on a windows pc..? Whenever i finish i can press the home icon and the screen reverts to the desktop but when i select browser again it opens back up at the last page i viewed..?. I am using task manager at the moment but is there a more obvious and easy way to do this?.

Android tends to take care of itself and so closing apps is not neccessary, however if you dont trust it download an appkiller like task manager from market , which browser do you run? Dolphin HD will give you an exit browser option and will clear cache etc :)

Guest aj2703
Android tends to take care of itself and so closing apps is not neccessary, however if you dont trust it download an appkiller like task manager from market , which browser do you run? Dolphin HD will give you an exit browser option and will clear cache etc :)

Ermm i am just running the standard one (I think). I upgraded to the r8 rom, dunno if that changes anything. Will try this Dolphin HD and get back to you.

Guest PatrickAeon
Hi guys.

I have been using 'Advanced Task Killer Free' (get it from the Android Market). It can be used manually and can be set to kill apps on a timed basis. I also have 'Smart Task Switcher' which has a secondary function of being able to kill apps. The combination works very well for me.

Guest simonta

Guys, you really don't need, and shouldn't use, task killers. Android does a fantastic job of managing applications. Learn to trust it, leave the task killers alone and Android performance will actually rise. I've been using Android for about 18 months now on various devices and have only ever seen memory or other performance problems when a task killer is in use.

Just use back and home.

Guest Zebrahead
Guys, you really don't need, and shouldn't use, task killers. Android does a fantastic job of managing applications. Learn to trust it, leave the task killers alone and Android performance will actually rise. I've been using Android for about 18 months now on various devices and have only ever seen memory or other performance problems when a task killer is in use.

Just use back and home.

+1

Android is built such that components are shared between apps. Closing an app only means shared components have to be reloaded, using up more resources.

Task killers in almost all cases will reduce performance.

Zeb

Guest aj2703
+1

Android is built such that components are shared between apps. Closing an app only means shared components have to be reloaded, using up more resources.

Task killers in almost all cases will reduce performance.

Zeb

I was thinking more of a security reason for shutting them down. For instance if i was checking my bank account and then hit the home button. I may then wonder off for a minute and anyone could come along and have a peek. That is the reason i was seeing if you could somehow set it to shut down the apps.

Guest Dave Marchant
I was thinking more of a security reason for shutting them down. For instance if i was checking my bank account and then hit the home button. I may then wonder off for a minute and anyone could come along and have a peek. That is the reason i was seeing if you could somehow set it to shut down the apps.

You can close a browsing session to a particular site by bringing up the browser menu, choosing Windows and hitting the X next to the site. If all are closed, the browser reverts to the home site.

Guest aj2703
You can close a browsing session to a particular site by bringing up the browser menu, choosing Windows and hitting the X next to the site. If all are closed, the browser reverts to the home site.

Thankyou very much Dave that was along the lines of what i was looking for :)

Guest Zebrahead
Thankyou very much Dave that was along the lines of what i was looking for :)

Menu, settings, clear everything you can should get rid of it

If you just want it to not show next time, history alone should do.

Zeb