1.10 stock plus Market?

Guest Bobby Elliott

Guest Bobby Elliott

I am running MoDaCo R8, and it's fine in most regards. I see that there is a new ROM from Advent. My device came with 1.09 but. R8 rolls that back to 1.08, so I am two releases behind the current kernal.

I was thinking about replacing R8 with the stock 1.10 and adding Market. Is this possible? Can 1.10 be downloaded? Has anyone tried it? What would I lose by doing this?

I know 1.10 has improved wifi and video drivers, and this is appealing since I am unable to connect to one particular network at present using the old wifi driver.

Guest rferrett

There is nothing to stop oyu doing this. But TBH you would be utterly mad to even consider it. The stock ROMs are markedly inferior to the (pretty much outmoded MCR8).

Why not try Corvus5. It is infinitely betteri n almost every respect to the stock ROMs. Really.

Ralph

Guest carl rose
I am running MoDaCo R8, and it's fine in most regards. I see that there is a new ROM from Advent. My device came with 1.09 but. R8 rolls that back to 1.08, so I am two releases behind the current kernal.

I was thinking about replacing R8 with the stock 1.10 and adding Market. Is this possible? Can 1.10 be downloaded? Has anyone tried it? What would I lose by doing this?

I know 1.10 has improved wifi and video drivers, and this is appealing since I am unable to connect to one particular network at present using the old wifi driver.

I run the stock rom. Before I got this new vega with the 1.10 I was using the 1.09 stock with the full market mod. I lost usb host but to my knowledge that is about it. You won't be able to install the 1.10 as it is not available for the advent vega to download but there is not much difference anyways and until it is available you can install the 1.09. To get the full market all you have to do is put the O_G_Rom addon v3.1, from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=12398578 in the software update folder in your sd card on the vega. Then all you have to do is go to settings on the vega and software tool then software update. You will then see the O_G_Rom addon v3.1 there. Click on it and a message will appear with warning that it will update your system. click accept and the vega will restart into the little android men and a progress bar. This will take only a few seconds. The vega will restart to the desktop again and you will have the full market installed. Run market and it will be the old version but it will update straight away automatically. Close it and run it again and it will probably say it is not installed as it will be still installing so close that message again and run market again and you will have the new style one. Thats it. From there you can just install pretty much anything. There are hacks and different kernels that will give you usb host every time I tried it will eventually gives me problems and I will have to do a full reinstall which I hate so I just stick with this until a better solution comes out.

Edited by carl rose

Guest rferrett

So Carl why don't you try a custom ROM.

On Corvus5 which I am using the USB Host switcher built into the Kernel works great. No promlems whatsoever.

I must say I am utterly bemused as to why anyone would want to us the stock ROMs. They are frankly rubbish compared to what the scene has ocme up with.

Guest carl rose
So Carl why don't you try a custom ROM.

On Corvus5 which I am using the USB Host switcher built into the Kernel works great. No promlems whatsoever.

I must say I am utterly bemused as to why anyone would want to us the stock ROMs. They are frankly rubbish compared to what the scene has ocme up with.

Yes, I know that all the custom roms have many, many features. I personally prefer stability than new features. I use my vega for work sometimes and I would hate having to reboot while on the field and be greeted with a black screen or an urecoverable crash (needing a pc that is).

The Stock roms are stable and solid, everytime I install a custom rom, it works ok for a while but it is not stable and at any time I might need a reboot it will not start up or goes into fast boot needing a pc to start up the whole thing. I never needed to do that on a stock rom. They are good for experimenting but not for the day to day in my opinion. Just the market mod, changing the wpa_supplicant and boot animations are good for me. I will try the corvus5 rom sometime when I got time. I will need to try it out and customise it a bit to see how it works and reinstall stock and restore from a backup which can take up to 3 hrs.

Guest Bobby Elliott
Why not try Corvus5. It is infinitely betteri n almost every respect to the stock ROMs. Really.

OK, Ralph, you have convinced me to try. I have Modaco R8 on my Vega right now. No CWR at present. Can you advise me how best to move from Modaco to Corvus5? Obviously, I'd like to keep as much of my data and apps as possible. Cheers.

Guest Zebrahead
Yes, I know that all the custom roms have many, many features. I personally prefer stability than new features. I use my vega for work sometimes and I would hate having to reboot while on the field and be greeted with a black screen or an urecoverable crash (needing a pc that is).

The Stock roms are stable and solid, everytime I install a custom rom, it works ok for a while but it is not stable and at any time I might need a reboot it will not start up or goes into fast boot needing a pc to start up the whole thing. I never needed to do that on a stock rom. They are good for experimenting but not for the day to day in my opinion. Just the market mod, changing the wpa_supplicant and boot animations are good for me. I will try the corvus5 rom sometime when I got time. I will need to try it out and customise it a bit to see how it works and reinstall stock and restore from a backup which can take up to 3 hrs.

Not all features of custom roms are new features, a lot of making custom roms is down to improving stability - it's strange that you'd encounter stability issues in using a custom rom (unless it was a alpha/beta release maybe)

And also, the "market mod" is effectively a custom rom - so you're already using one ^^

Zeb ^^

Guest rferrett
OK, Ralph, you have convinced me to try. I have Modaco R8 on my Vega right now. No CWR at present. Can you advise me how best to move from Modaco to Corvus5? Obviously, I'd like to keep as much of my data and apps as possible. Cheers.

Hi Bobby,

First thing to do is get the ADB drivers installed. I'd advise looking at the Automated Installer (unless oyu have XP)

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...iver-installer/

Once oyu have got the ADB drivers installed it is mostly plain sailing. Get

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...ega-tools-v3-0/

or

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...asy-install-v2/

For easy CWM install then get the instructions form the ROM thread you want to try.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully we will be getting an easier way for new people to flash new roms via NVFlash soon but for the time being there are loads of ways to get help with those tricky ADB drivers. Good luck!

Guest rferrett

Hi Carl,

I think you have the wrong impression of some of the other ROMs. The best ones are *much* more stable now that Stock. Things like Corvus5 especially is really stable.

In terms of recovering etc Zebrahead has created a great backup tool that utilises NVFlash and speeds up the process of getting an exact system image restore (via NVFlash) immesnely

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...is-will-fix-it/

It is a great tool (and hopefully in time will allow us to install vanilla ROMs via NVFlash rather than ADB)

Honestly Carl worth a try! Got to be better than watching the Royal Weekend surely!!!

Guest carl rose
Not all features of custom roms are new features, a lot of making custom roms is down to improving stability - it's strange that you'd encounter stability issues in using a custom rom (unless it was a alpha/beta release maybe)

And also, the "market mod" is effectively a custom rom - so you're already using one ^^

Zeb ^^

Since when the market mod is a custom rom? You are just basically installing the market app in a different way. It's an app not a rom. It does not modify anything just installs a bunch of apps to make it work.

Hi Carl,

I think you have the wrong impression of some of the other ROMs. The best ones are *much* more stable now that Stock. Things like Corvus5 especially is really stable.

In terms of recovering etc Zebrahead has created a great backup tool that utilises NVFlash and speeds up the process of getting an exact system image restore (via NVFlash) immesnely

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...is-will-fix-it/

It is a great tool (and hopefully in time will allow us to install vanilla ROMs via NVFlash rather than ADB)

Honestly Carl worth a try! Got to be better than watching the Royal Weekend surely!!!

I will have to give it a try on friday. Hopefully I will have more luck with the corvus5 rom. Thanks

Edited by carl rose

Guest Zebrahead
Since when the market mod is a custom rom? You are just basically installing the market app in a different way. It's an app not a rom. It does not modify anything just installs a bunch of apps to make it work.

I will have to give it a try on friday. Hopefully I will have more luck with the corvus5 rom. Thanks

It also installs other things, that is unless you're just pushing vending and services framework.

Zeb