Custom ROM installation - partition sizes

Guest 8eaker

Guest 8eaker

Hi all.

Trying to make my sons Pulse more 'appealing' for a little longer by flashing on a new ROM for him.

So far, rooted and added clockworkmod - all fine.

Currently running official 2.1 T-Mobile UK ROM

I went ahead and attempted to put on some custom roms - none worked. Some wouldn't boot (CM7), some did, but no market or couldn't sign into his google account.

After some reading it apppears its down to space issues on partitions. Having looked, it appears the partitions are as follows:

/dev 52Mb

/System 85Mb

/data 105Mb

/Cache 20Mb

So, my main question is, if I flash on RBM2 which I understand has more system space partition and less data, would I then be able to flash on CM7 or one of the other 2.2 ROMS? Is this the process I need to do to change partition sizes?

Hoping to get this all done today before the schools return so I can reinstall all his apps etc

Oh, Do I assume that the rom install packages don't change partition sizes and its only a few (official?) ones that do? Do they just try to fit in whats available already?

Many thanks

Edited by 8eaker

Guest jeddy1
Hi all.

Trying to make my sons Pulse more 'appealing' for a little longer by flashing on a new ROM for him.

I went ahead and attempted to put on some custom roms - none worked. Some wouldn't boot (CM7), some did, but no market or couldn't sign into his google account.

After some reading it apppears its down to space issues on partitions. Having looked, it appears the partitions are as follows:

/dev 52Mb

/System 85Mb

/data 105Mb

/Cache 20Mb

So, my main question is, if I flash on RBM2 which I understand has more system space partition and less data, would I then be able to flash on CM7 or one of the other 2.2 ROMS? Is this the process I need to do to change partition sizes?

Hoping to get this all done today before the schools return so I can reinstall all his apps etc

Oh, Do I assume that the rom install packages don't change partition sizes and its only a few (official?) ones that do? Do they just try to fit in whats available already?

Many thanks

well why dont u install cyanogenmod plus (cm6(2.2)) or FLB-mod (2.1)

Edited by jeddy1

Guest Casterina
Hi all.

/dev 52Mb

/System 85Mb

/data 105Mb

/Cache 20Mb

Many thanks

You dont need to worry about the system partition. If you got the UK 2.1 Update it has a small partition when you install a new custom ROM it will have more system partition and then installl dtapp2sd + swap :)

Guest 8eaker

Thanks for the answers guys.

Tried to install FLB and CynogenMod 6 plus.

FLB aborted with Can't symlink /system/xbin/su E:Failure at line 135:

Symlink /system/bin/su SYSTEM:xbin/su

Installation aborted.

CynogenMod 6 plus installs, but can't log into any google apps. Even before installing google apps, df on terminal shows /system is 100% so to me it appears to be the partition sizes :-(

Tried the RBM2 ROM, but that aborts without showing any errors, just way too quick without actually doing anything. I presume again because it cannot install into the size of the system partition initially? Same with Hungary official rom too.

Do these partition sizes look normal? Seem very small to me.

Installing official roms; does that change partition size upwards or only down? Is there a way to change them at all?

Any thoughts?

Guest jeddy1
Thanks for the answers guys.

Tried to install FLB and CynogenMod 6 plus.

FLB aborted with Can't symlink /system/xbin/su E:Failure at line 135:

Symlink /system/bin/su SYSTEM:xbin/su

Installation aborted.

CynogenMod 6 plus installs, but can't log into any google apps. Even before installing google apps, df on terminal shows /system is 100% so to me it appears to be the partition sizes :-(

Tried the RBM2 ROM, but that aborts without showing any errors, just way too quick without actually doing anything. I presume again because it cannot install into the size of the system partition initially? Same with Hungary official rom too.

Do these partition sizes look normal? Seem very small to me.

Installing official roms; does that change partition size upwards or only down? Is there a way to change them at all?

Any thoughts?

If you think ´PULSE´ then the partitions doesnt seem very small.yes installing official roms change the partition sizes but i think a little.the DE update has other partition sizes i think .BTW pulse is a phone with low specs and it have what it have.well there is the ultimate pulse owners guide which u can see once.maybe it help u little bit.i had the same problems also with those roms aborted on u.i thought it was bec i had DE update to my phone but today i flashed UK update but again few problems with cm6 plus and RBM2 rom.i dont know why this happens.i will check it when i have time.i hope u find a solution.i am on cm6 plus now.ill fix it tomorrow.btw cm6 plus is amazing fast.

Guest 8eaker
If you think ´PULSE´ then the partitions doesnt seem very small.yes installing official roms change the partition sizes but i think a little.the DE update has other partition sizes i think .BTW pulse is a phone with low specs and it have what it have.well there is the ultimate pulse owners guide which u can see once.maybe it help u little bit.i had the same problems also with those roms aborted on u.i thought it was bec i had DE update to my phone but today i flashed UK update but again few problems with cm6 plus and RBM2 rom.i dont know why this happens.i will check it when i have time.i hope u find a solution.i am on cm6 plus now.ill fix it tomorrow.btw cm6 plus is amazing fast.

Hi Jeddy1.

Back on official 2.1 now and all working, but any other rom just fails for one reason or another.

Out of interest, if you run df on terminal, what sizes do you get? From all the searches I've done on these forums, I think I hold the record for smallest system partition :-(

watch UTOPY's Post. i think there is the solution for you.

...., but any other rom just fails for one reason or another.
Edited by msig

Guest jeddy1
Hi Jeddy1.

Back on official 2.1 now and all working, but any other rom just fails for one reason or another.

Out of interest, if you run df on terminal, what sizes do you get? From all the searches I've done on these forums, I think I hold the record for smallest system partition :-(

dev 53704

system 87040

data 107776

cache 20480

so u see we have almost the same.i guess the same.BTW dont think i dont have problems.

Guest 8eaker
dev 53704

system 87040

data 107776

cache 20480

so u see we have almost the same.i guess the same.BTW dont think i dont have problems.

followed the thread recommended above and installed the official Huewui rom linked in there (only the dload rom link works, but thats all I wanted, also noted that rom seems quite nice too!) - installed as an update i.e. dload folder, volume up, end call power. That sorted my partition sizes to approx 110Mb for system and shuffled the other partitions around. Then install CM61 and it installed fine! Had a problem with installing from the market though, so switched to FLB 1.7 and all is working fine.

So anyone that installs a custom rom, and when booting for the first time, it doesn't ask you to touch the screen and set up you google account, i.e. goes straight to the home screen, it might be a partition size issue. Flash another official rom to change the partition sizes.

This will unroot the phone and remove clockworkorangemod, but easy to put back on again, then choose the rom of your choice :mellow:

Guest jeddy1
followed the thread recommended above and installed the official Huewui rom linked in there (only the dload rom link works, but thats all I wanted, also noted that rom seems quite nice too!) - installed as an update i.e. dload folder, volume up, end call power. That sorted my partition sizes to approx 110Mb for system and shuffled the other partitions around. Then install CM61 and it installed fine! Had a problem with installing from the market though, so switched to FLB 1.7 and all is working fine.

So anyone that installs a custom rom, and when booting for the first time, it doesn't ask you to touch the screen and set up you google account, i.e. goes straight to the home screen, it might be a partition size issue. Flash another official rom to change the partition sizes.

This will unroot the phone and remove clockworkorangemod, but easy to put back on again, then choose the rom of your choice :o

why u didnt installed sm6 plus to see how nice it is also :mellow:?