mux 720p ?

Guest Hardz

Guest Hardz

Finally took the plunge and ordered the Vega but was mortified to later read that it can't play 720p MKV's

Have read everywhere that the Vega can't handle 720p MKV's, without re-encoding, and everyone points to conversion software, which in this day and age is a complete waste of time and electricity.

I've done a search but nobody has definitively pointed to one piece of software (without recode).

Is there a program that will quickly re-mux 720p MKV's (with subtitles) to something the Vega can play and what setting is required?

If an MKV film can be muxed in, say, 10 odd minutes on an average PC, then the Vega will be a useful portable, large screen Android powered media player ( which is what I'm looking for ).

Have a Galaxy S that handles the 720p MKV files just fine (so it can't be an Android issue for the Vega not playing them), but the screen size is not ideal for movie viewing (hence the Vega purchase).

Thanks guys.

Guest BiggerH

you won't be able to play mkv's on the Vega - together with the not very good viewing angles, it's the one thing that annoys me about the tablet, but I understand that none of the new tablets out there will play them either

here's a link for the profile you can use with Handbrake to convert mkv to mp4

here

my Revo hasn't got a lot of ooomph, so it takes about 4 hours to convert a 40 min tv show - so I've now given up with HD, and just make to with avi's

Guest SilentMobius
Finally took the plunge and ordered the Vega but was mortified to later read that it can't play 720p MKV's

Have read everywhere that the Vega can't handle 720p MKV's, without re-encoding, and everyone points to conversion software, which in this day and age is a complete waste of time and electricity.

I've done a search but nobody has definitively pointed to one piece of software (without recode).

Is there a program that will quickly re-mux 720p MKV's (with subtitles) to something the Vega can play and what setting is required?

If an MKV film can be muxed in, say, 10 odd minutes on an average PC, then the Vega will be a useful portable, large screen Android powered media player ( which is what I'm looking for ).

Have a Galaxy S that handles the 720p MKV files just fine (so it can't be an Android issue for the Vega not playing them), but the screen size is not ideal for movie viewing (hence the Vega purchase).

Thanks guys.

I remux using ffmpeg, as long as the h.264 stream is baseline profile you will be fine. If it's main profile it _may_ play, if it's high profile it won't play. The issue _is_ an Android one as the default Android build from AOSP does _not_ include a parser for the Matroska container. Samsung added that to their personal build of android as a value-add (and they did not release the source as that part of Android is Apache licenced).

Something like this will do it:

ffmpeg -i XXX.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec copy XXX.mp4

Though, you may need to re-encode the audio if it's AC3 as the Vega can't do AC3 (licences for that cost money, again Sammy paid for AC3 and DTS licences on their devices)

Remember that 90% of the world does not use MKV, despite the torrent scene loving it.

Edited by SilentMobius

Guest mintvilla
MKV may be supported by VLC - when it is released. The latest I've heard stems from the beginning of February. "Some months" later could be now, right?

well rock player plays mkv's aswell, but wont work on the vega either. Am sure vlc player is the same.

Guest warriorscot

Rockplayer works software mode plays everything its OK but not ideal. Convert with handbrake or mediacoder.

Codec support is something added by manufacturers so it varies, hopefully cyanogen will help add more. Also a couple of new media players are supposed to be hitting the market with good support for all the main video formats.

Guest ViPaSoft
you won't be able to play mkv's on the Vega - together with the not very good viewing angles, it's the one thing that annoys me about the tablet, but I understand that none of the new tablets out there will play them either.

I had an Archos 70 Internet Tablet, part of their gen8 Tablets, and the A70IT played mkv's with their Cinema Plug-in which had to be bought separately. I understand the Archos 101IT also played them with the plug-in.

Check out Archos web site. Maybe the plug-in can be adapted to work with other tablets by someone.

EDIT:

I have the files if anyone wants to pm me their email. They are only 1-2kb in size, but are is '.aos' format which is an Archos system file and also, they are 'generated' for specific Archos devices using some system codes so they cannot be installed on more than the one Archos, which may cause problems for anyone thinking of hacking them.

There is the CINEMA plug-in which gives; AVI, MP4, MKV, MOV, WMV, MPG, PS, TS, VOB, FLV, RM, RMVB, ASF, 3GP video support and AC3 5.1 Audio support. And the FREEPACK plug-in.

Edited by ViPaSoft