Newbie - Problem with adb

Guest jack38

Guest jack38

I know this topic has been covered again and again but I just cannot get adb to pick up my Vega after trying for 3 days solidly. I am running Windows XP. Here is what I have done:

1. Downloaded and installed Java development edition.

2. Installed Android SDK Tools, Android SDK Platform-Tools and Google USB Driver package(I tried both with and without the USB Driver).;

3. Unzipped the Flash USB driver for the Vega.

4. Turned on the Vega and in the menu settings enabled debugging.

5. Shut down the Vega.

6. Plug the Vega into the USB and plugged it into the machine.

7. Boot the Vega in debug mode by holding the back button for 2 secs then(keeping back down) press power for 2 secs and then release power and then release back.

8. When it asked for new device driver, I directed it to the unzipped Flash USB driver.

When I do 'adb devices' I do not get any devices. When I look in the device manager under USB Controllers, I see 'NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery driver for Mobile devices'. I cannot see any sign of "Android Debug Bridge Interface" or "Android Composite ADB Interface" under any node. What am I doing wrong? Also, could you clarify: are "Android Debug Bridge Interface" and "Android Composite ADB Interface" drivers associated with the Android SDK or are they specific to the VEGA?

Thank-you very much,

Jack

Guest CoWPlagued

Assuming you can still boot into android, here's an alternative that works well for me.

If it's not rooted, download z4root and root the tablet

Download adbwireless and start it

Then you can connect via adb to the specific port and IP adbwireless quotes without the need to battle with USB drivers.

Guest trevor432990

Hi Jack ... if you want to stick to your original hardwired USB route here are some pointers I have passed to people many time.

First, using Windows Explorer you need to go to the folder on your PC where you unzipped the files from Pauls download pack. In that folder will be a folder called 'usbdriver' and within that, one called 'usb_driver' and it is in this sub-folder where all the drivers you need are held.

If when you run the 'install-windows.bat' command as instructed nothing happens or you only get say a couple of lines of text displayed then you will need to do the following:-

Go to CONTROL PANEL>SYSTEM>HARDWARE>DEVICE MANAGER and if you have the Vega connected by USB (with power on) you should see some new hardware called ANDROID PHONE and/or NVIDIA HARMONY. Right click on each entry and click 'Uninstall' then go to the top of the list where it displays your computers name and right click on the entry and select 'Scan for hardware changes'. The Windows new hardware wizard will then pop-up asking if you have a driver disk or not. Say you have and browse to the folder called 'usb_driver' described above and select it. The hardware should then be installed with the correct drivers.

Repeat the 'install-windows.bat' command and hopefully this time a whole list of program output should appear showing it is working and in less than a minute it should all be done and your Vega will reboot itself. Then on Vega go into SETTINGS>ABOUT DEVICE and the Kernel Version should include the text for the level you are now at.

Note:- You may need to do the above with every new release as it seems to be the only way of updating the drivers properly unless someone else can tell us a better way

Guest simonta

The main point you missed is that you were trying to get into recovery (press 2 seconds thing) which is completely different to ADB. ADB only works with the Vega booted normally.