1080p test, could Transformer owners give me a hand.

Guest SilentMobius

Guest SilentMobius

Hi all.

My Transformer is being repaired right now, but I opened a ticket with ASUS as I'm not sure that the Transformer HDMI output is actually doing 1080p. I think its actually decoding 1080p video to a 720p canvas then upscalling to a 1080p signal. I tested this before I sent it away but could I ask some of you who have 1080p capable displays to test it as well:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6553908/1920x1080overscantl7.m4v

This video was built from a 1080p test grille image and should have solid lines ever other scan line at 1080p (if you play it using a computer connected to a 1080p capable monitor at 100% the grille should be obvious.

On my transformer the output via HDMI was smooth and muddy, as if the image had been scaled down then back up. What you you get?

Edited by SilentMobius

Guest my_big_feet
On my transformer the output via HDMI was smooth and muddy, as if the image had been scaled down then back up. What you you get?

I thought we had already established that the Transformer only supports mirroring and can therefore only output at 720p (at the moment)? So that would be exactly what's happening.

Guest SilentMobius
I thought we had already established that the Transformer only supports mirroring and can therefore only output at 720p (at the moment)? So that would be exactly what's happening.

I had suggested that in a previous thread but I've yet to see anyone else agree with me. Additionally http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_TF101/ states:

NVIDIA® Tegra™ 2 1.0GHz dual-core CPU for excellent multitasking & 1080p video playback

and

A 5MP rear- and 1.2MP front-facing camera can shoot and record HD video, which can be played back in stunning 1080p. Output to HD video on HDTVs is also available via a mini HDMI output port, making it a true mobile entertainment device.

So I'll be pretty annoyed if the best it can do is upscaled 720p

Guest mamoulian
So I'll be pretty annoyed if the best it can do is upscaled 720p

Stand by to be temporarily annoyed... post from an Asus guy over at bit-tech forums admits the problem, but says they're all working on it:

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=...mp;postcount=83

HDMI - It's only mirroring at the moment. This is an Android 3.0 limitation. Tegra 2 supports 1080p output over HDMI, but right now the product is limited to 1280 x 800 output over HDMI. When the OS update is available ASUS will release its version for the TF101. There was a lot of fuss over this late in the day because the final version of Android 3 from Google we installed on shipping models only arrived about 2 weeks ago. We had to make last minute changes to our marketing materials because we were going on the Tegra 2 capability. I'm sure it's high on Google's to do list, but I suppose the VERY tight schedule + several partners = getting *something* working is better than none. This is not me speaking for Google though.

The TF101 will playback 1080p files, but they'll be downscaled to fit the resolution. The upside is that there is NO software to fuss with - when you plug in the HDMI cable it pops up the mirrored display automatically. I haven't tested when playing video, only when on the desktop or playing Angry Birds.

Guest SilentMobius
Stand by to be temporarily annoyed... post from an Asus guy over at bit-tech forums admits the problem, but says they're all working on it:

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=...mp;postcount=83

Wow thanks for that, I can believe they don't have the software, but I'll bet its Nvidia dragging their heels rather than Google :) And the last time Nvidia had issues they just revamped the board (Harmony-type board -> Ventana board) and abandoned it

• 1 month later...
Guest britton

I can't get my transformer to display on my projector. My son's Coby 7015 has the option to change the hdmi to 720 or 1080. In 1080 it acts like the transformer. In 720 it outputs fine. We need a option in settings to select which resolution. Right now my sons $100 android device works better than my transformer(at least at hdmi playback)....go figure.

Guest SilentMobius
I can't get my transformer to display on my projector. My son's Coby 7015 has the option to change the hdmi to 720 or 1080. In 1080 it acts like the transformer. In 720 it outputs fine. We need a option in settings to select which resolution. Right now my sons $100 android device works better than my transformer(at least at hdmi playback)....go figure.

At the moment the transformer only outputs a 1080p signal using a scaled-up 720p source. Sucks, but there it is.

• 1 month later...
Guest mrmrmrmr

At the moment the transformer only outputs a 1080p signal using a scaled-up 720p source. Sucks, but there it is.

maybe the 3.2 honeycomb update will supply 1080p output...

any ideas ?