Is a Advent Vega right for me?

Guest peps1

Guest peps1

Hey guys,

Iv been looking for a budget tablet to use in my workshop instead of having my macbook in there. Basically my workshop has a lot of dangerous things in it that I don't really want to get near my laptop any more, like acids for etching, solvents, all manner of test equipment and soldering station......I even have a oven on my desk!

Im looking for a tablet that I can use to read wiring diagrams and data sheets in PDF format loaded in from my Mac/PC, as well as brows the internet for schematics in picture formats and print hard copy if needed.

Would also like to be able to watch things on it when im working, BBC Iplayer, Icefilms, youtube and the like (is loading movie from my mac/pc an option too?), as well as play audio books, and use as a ebook reader.

Im totally new to Android so not really sure if it what i need, but drawn to open-source software and the cheap Advent Vega price.

Could really do with some help from you guys!

Edited by peps1

Guest simonta

The Vega will do everything you have asked for with ease, and more, once you have one of the ROMs on here installed. The only thing which is slightly tricky is printing. I use Googles Cloud Printing Service but the downside of that is that it can only send a print job to a PC acting as a printer server, I can't use my wireless printer directly. From the description of your work environment, I think the only downside might be the poor viewing angles of the Vega. I suggest checking one out in a local shop. You need to be within about 20 degrees of the Z axis to be able to see much.

Soiunds like you are tech savvy so the ROM install should be easy for you but plently of help here if you need it.

The answers to any other questions you might have (will it get Honeycomb, how does it compare to an iPad etc etc) are already here in existing threads.

Guest Stevonator
Hey guys,

Iv been looking for a budget tablet to use in my workshop instead of having my macbook in there. Basically my workshop has a lot of dangerous things in it that I don't really want to get near my laptop any more, like acids for etching, solvents, all manner of test equipment and soldering station......I even have a oven on my desk!

Im looking for a tablet that I can use to read wiring diagrams and data sheets in PDF format loaded in from my Mac/PC, as well as brows the internet for schematics in picture formats and print hard copy if needed.

Would also like to be able to watch things on it when im working, BBC Iplayer, Icefilms, youtube and the like (is loading movie from my mac/pc an option too?), as well as play audio books, and use as a ebook reader.

Im totally new to Android so not really sure if it what i need, but drawn to open-source software and the cheap Advent Vega price.

Could really do with some help from you guys!

Hey Peps1 :D

In the environment you're describing a cheap budget tablet will definetely be the best option. And the vega does absolutely everything you mentioned :mellow: It has flash for BBC iPlayer you can watch all the videos on youtube, yes you can load movies from your mac/pc onto your vega :D

Browsing the Internet I have heard is a breeze however I'm not sure whether you are able to print off the Vega... You may be able to connect wirelessly to a printer. I'll look into it for you :o

It's either the Vega for 200 quid or a top of the line machine for 450 quid and I'm sure you don't want to be bringing something that expensive into a workshop :D

Stevonator

Edit: Simonta anwsers your question above about printing ;)

Edited by Stevonator

Guest simonta

In the environment you're describing a cheap budget tablet will definetely be the best option. And the vega does absolutely everything you mentioned :mellow: It has flash for BBC iPlayer you can watch all the videos on youtube, yes you can load movies from your mac/pc onto your vega :D

Browsing the Internet I have heard is a breeze however I'm not sure whether you are able to print off the Vega... You may be able to connect wirelessly to a printer. I'll look into it for you :o

It's either the Vega for 200 quid or a top of the line machine for 450 quid and I'm sure you don't want to be bringing something that expensive into a workshop :D

Stevonator

Dude, your Vega not turned up yet?

Guest Stevonator
Dude, your Vega not turned up yet?

Nah, I'm not getting paid till tomorrow because of my VERY slow finance team. I will have it tomorrow though :mellow:

Guest peps1

Thank you Simonta!

Soiunds like you are tech savvy so the ROM install should be easy for you but plently of help here if you need it.

Unfortunetly as I make guitar effects pedal, Im only analogue tech savvy up until about 1979! but having read thought the r8 - MoDaCo Custom ROM thread, I think I will be able to deal with it.....fingers crossed!

The answers to any other questions you might have (will it get Honeycomb, how does it compare to an iPad etc etc) are already here in existing threads.

Thanks, Honeycomb was going to be my next question! think iv got a lot of reading to do this-afternoon!

Stevonator

Thanks Stevonator, and I guess at that price I will also be able to find out if I would actually user a higher end tablet in the future.

Guest Cardblower

Hi,

Just thought I would add my bit to this thread.

When I first got my Vega out of the box and started to fiddle it was far from perfect, and at times a little unusable especially with key bounce.

But now (using Corvus5 Roman) it is reliable, and extremely good value for money.

Go for it mate, you wont regret it.

Regards

Andy.

Guest Stevonator
Hi,

Just thought I would add my bit to this thread.

When I first got my Vega out of the box and started to fiddle it was far from perfect, and at times a little unusable especially with key bounce.

But now (using Corvus5 Roman) it is reliable, and extremely good value for money.

Go for it mate, you wont regret it.

Regards

Andy.

+1 to that :mellow:

Guest Stevonator
Well I think I will have to order one then! :D

On a side note, is this thread the most upto date one regards the "will it get Honeycomb" question?

http://android.modaco.com/content-page/331...eycomb/page/60/

I'm not 100 percent sure, the fact it's been nine days since the last post suggests they might've left the thread. However when Honeycomb finaly arrives on the vega there will definately by a whole new thread explaining how to install it. So I would just suggest popping back every now and again, or even better becoming a part of the community and see what happens :mellow:

Hope to see you around

Stevonator

Oh ye I'm super glad you decided to get the Vega :D Best choice :o