Is it difficult to change rom/flash?

Guest mrTau

Guest mrTau

Hi

I've got my blade phone yesterday its gen 1, checked with mr pigfish. Is it difficult to flash/change rom for a newbie? Never done something like this before and afraid to brick my phone. I do have f ex changed linksys wifi routers os, too dd-wrt.

Medium pc user I guess.

MrTau

Guest Chrisund123
Hi

I've got my blade phone yesterday its gen 1, checked with mr pigfish. Is it difficult to flash/change rom for a newbie? Never done something like this before and afraid to brick my phone. I do have f ex changed linksys wifi routers os, too dd-wrt.

Medium pc user I guess.

MrTau

If you can read, and follow basic instructions, then you'll be just fine.

Guest KACE_231
Hi

Medium pc user I guess.

MrTau

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...zte-blade-gen1/

read every single step before you go ahead

anything you dont understand just post back here

Edited by KACE_231

Guest mrTau

Thanks, I've been reading all morning :mellow: But what are the benefits of changing roms? Is one rom "better" than the other or just some designs and apps?

Mrtau

Guest k0zmic
Thanks, I've been reading all morning :mellow: But what are the benefits of changing roms? Is one rom "better" than the other or just some designs and apps?

Mrtau

They all have their own benefits e.g. Swedish Spring is based on Froyo and on an official release so it's very stable and quick so it's ideal for everyday use. CyanogenMod 7 is based on Gingerbread so it's using a newer and quicker Android version with more features and in my opinion a nicer UI. However, it's not fully complete yet and it's still slightly buggy but coming along nicely.

Guest KACE_231
Thanks for good answering.

If I put on swedish spring, how about the language, txt and so on? From Norway ..

mrtau

Swedish Springs doesnt mean it is swedish language, it just means that the ROM is from sweden, it definitely supports english, norweigen i am not sure

make sure you do a full backup of your ROM before chanigng.

Guest k0zmic
Thanks for good answering.

If I put on swedish spring, how about the language, txt and so on? From Norway ..

mrtau

I think there's an option to choose the language in settings under Language. Do backup though.

Guest mrTau

Today I've downloaded :

recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-blade-gen1.img

recoverymanager_v0.36b.zip

universalAndroot_1.6.1.apk

Nothing done with my phone yet. And also no rom downloaded yet. Does this look good so far? Its gen 1 zte blade

Guest ups

In my opinion, the best for a newbie is to use Rom Manager. With one click it installs ClockWorkMod and any other rom and you can download it easily from the market.

The only thing to do before that is root the phone!

Guest k0zmic
Today I've downloaded :

recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-blade-gen1.img

recoverymanager_v0.36b.zip

universalAndroot_1.6.1.apk

Nothing done with my phone yet. And also no rom downloaded yet. Does this look good so far? Its gen 1 zte blade

Looks like your good to go. Remember - Nandroid always. Good Luck, follow the instructions and you'll be fine.

And as above said ROM Manager is a great tool as well.

Edited by k0zmic

Guest mrTau

Hi

I've got rom manager installed on my phone, but havent done anything more yet, still a little scared of bricking the phone.. Nandroid, inside the rom manager?

MrT

Guest robinhud2010
Hi

I've got rom manager installed on my phone, but havent done anything more yet, still a little scared of bricking the phone.. Nandroid, inside the rom manager?

MrT

Yup. That's easier.

Guest Fou-lu
Hi

MrT

very good you did not!

ROM manager would flash a GEN2 clockwork(3.0.2.7) without warning, use recovery manager to install clockwork, install 3.0.2.4 which you said you downloaded.

Then do a backup from within clockwork, always safer to do it manually IMO.

Edited by Fou-lu

Guest Fou-lu
You mean that nandroid backup is included in rom manager, or is that another app?

you do a nandroid backup through clockwork, boot into clockwork once installed and do it through there, or use the option in recovery manager.

it's a backup of your whole system incase something goes wrong so you can revert back.

Guest Fou-lu
@ Fou Lu

Thanks for that :unsure: Its uninstalled now. I think i'll do some more research before changing i guess

It's safe to install the androot app and launch it, just press "root me please" (ignore the already rooted message) and that will root your phone.

After that unzip the recovery manager.zip and install it too, these apps will not cause any problems, launch it and navigate to install recovery and chose the 3.0.2.4 .img file, after it installs go to "reboot into recovery" now it will boot into the clockwork menu (orange text), navigate to "backup " make sure you have 200-350 mb space on SD, and do a backup through.

after that's done just reboot system and go pick your GEN1 rom :)

Guest Elgreco77

Finally got my phone to connect to the internet thanks to help on here. I've just downloaded Mr Pigfish and my phone is gen1. Given that I'm a complete novice, what would be the best and easiest app for me to download to get rid of Orange, personalise my phone and get the most from it?

Thanks I've looked at some of the stuff above but its beyond me.

Thanks

Guest Fou-lu
Finally got my phone to connect to the internet thanks to help on here. I've just downloaded Mr Pigfish and my phone is gen1. Given that I'm a complete novice, what would be the best and easiest app for me to download to get rid of Orange, personalise my phone and get the most from it?

Thanks I've looked at some of the stuff above but its beyond me.

Thanks

simple simple?

1.Download and install this to root your phone

http://cl.ly/133H4700041G2X1J1l1a

2.Go to market and download "titanium backup" and install "busybox" also from market (don't open it),

3.open titanium, and hold on app you want to remove from system and "un-install", or buy system app remover if your to lazy to install two apps :unsure:

phone must be rooted to remove anything.

Guest Mushroom_Lord

Flashing hte blade is extremely noob friendly.

I got the blade last xmas - and rooted, and ROMed myself within days.

It was my first android phone.

And I was 13 :unsure:

Guest Fou-lu
@Fou-Lu

With this : It's safe to install the androot app = thats the universalandroot ?

yeah that's the one, it's ok to install it, impossible to get a brick with that app, unless you manualy go around deleting stuff you shouldn't, and even that can be fixed with a TPT (SF is almost impossoble to brick).

The phone will "un-root" after a reboot.

Guest jeddy1
@Fou-Lu

With this : It's safe to install the androot app = thats the universalandroot ?

install any app u want and just dont worry! install any GEN1 rom u want and again dont worry.you´ll not brick ur phone .

And because u are a newbie DO NOT DO ANYTHING WITH GEN2 CONVERTERS OR ROMS. stay on gen1 and have fun :unsure:

BTW DONT INSTALL CM7 NIGHTLYS 40 AND UP.

Edited by jeddy1