Total memory only 105.48 MB

Guest Dreamframer

Guest Dreamframer

Hi everyone,

I just installed Android Assistant on my T-Mobile Pulse, and it tells me that my phone has 108 008 MB (105.48 MB) of memory, while everywhere on Internet specs for this phone say that it should be 192 MB.

Is this normal, and is it possible that the memory of the phone is bad?

Thanks!

Guest Dreamframer

I see no one is replying. I'll add more details:

Android Assistant says this:

Memory info:

Used: 85.74 MB

Free: 19.74 MB

Total Mem: 105.48 MB

Used and Free mem are changing every second, but total mem stays always 105.48

And my phone has a 2.1 rom update, while original is 1.5.

Edited by Dreamframer

Guest de_shepherd

Out of the 192MB I think 64MB is reserved for the "radio" side of the phone (i..e the processor that decodes the phone signal etc). This leaves 128MB for the "application processor" (i.e. the android system) ... but out of this only 105MB is available as I assume some of the RAM is allocated to the graphics system for frame buffers etc etc. (Same reason as why on a PC/laptop with integrated graphics you may have 1GB of RAM installed but 128MB is allocated to the integrated graphics)

Edited by de_shepherd

Guest Dreamframer

Thanks.

when I check system info in the same app (Android Assistant), it says this:

Total Mem: 108008 kB

Free Mem: 2376 kB

Inactive: 45420 kB

Can someone please tell me what does this mean, and why are these numbers different than the numbers in my previous post? Sorry for the dumb question.

Guest Roman Kapl
Thanks.

Can someone please tell me what does this mean, and why are these numbers different than the numbers in my previous post? Sorry for the dumb question.

108 008 kB = 105 MB, depending, if you use the 1024 or 1000 units, so the numbers match. Pulse has (not confirmed) 192 MB of RAM, of which 128 MB can be used by the phone. The rest is used by the GSM processor. The phone in turn allocates cca 16 MB to graphics accelerator and maybe other stuff, which gives the total 108 mb of usable memory. There is some hack for G1, that makes the phone allocate less of the graphics memory, giving more memory to Android, but slowing down 3d opengl apps.

Guest James Kei
Hi everyone,

I just installed Android Assistant on my T-Mobile Pulse, and it tells me that my phone has 108 008 MB (105.48 MB) of memory, while everywhere on Internet specs for this phone say that it should be 192 MB.

Is this normal, and is it possible that the memory of the phone is bad?

Thanks!

Starting from Nov 2010, Hong Kong PCCW sale 256MB RAM / 512 ROM version of U8220 plus. However, CPU are same slow speed.

:mellow:

Guest Casterina
Starting from Nov 2010, Hong Kong PCCW sale 256MB RAM / 512 ROM version of U8220 plus. However, CPU are same slow speed.

:mellow:

woahh thats a better than mine, i got it when it was first released :/

• 3 weeks later...
Guest James Kei
Thanks.

I also notice that Total mem size on 1.5 ROM : 96MB, where are upgrade to 2.1 or above ROM Total mem size is 105.5MB

Can anyone explain what is happening ?

Does that mean 2.1 ROM generate more Physical RAM ?

cheers

James :P

Guest Casterina
I also notice that Total mem size on 1.5 ROM : 96MB, where are upgrade to 2.1 or above ROM Total mem size is 105.5MB

Can anyone explain what is happening ?

Does that mean 2.1 ROM generate more Physical RAM ?

cheers

James :P

I guess its the system partition in the 1.5 rom that causes it too have a low Total mem size.

Guest James Kei
I guess its the system partition in the 1.5 rom that causes it too have a low Total mem size.

Free RAM has nothing to do with system partition of ROM.

:P