newbie question: rooting, mcr‘s and warranty...

Guest soundsk

Guest soundsk

Hi there!

bought a 2x about a week ago, and i‘m loving it... I‘d like to try some apps that require root access, like titanium nackup, and i‘d also like to install a custom rom.

However i‘d like to maintain my warranty and try the official gingerbread upgrade that will be out soon, and thus i‘d like to know if it is possible to, after rooting and flashing, to flash it again to factory state, allowing me to claim the warranty if i need it, and to still be elligible for the official upgrade...

From what i read here already it seems possible, but i want to be sure before i do something...

cheers!

Guest goatee

Hi there - yes, you can - just check out the pinned topic for nvflash, which can make your phone pristine and the same as it came out of the factory.

Hi there!

bought a 2x about a week ago, and i‘m loving it... I‘d like to try some apps that require root access, like titanium nackup, and i‘d also like to install a custom rom.

However i‘d like to maintain my warranty and try the official gingerbread upgrade that will be out soon, and thus i‘d like to know if it is possible to, after rooting and flashing, to flash it again to factory state, allowing me to claim the warranty if i need it, and to still be elligible for the official upgrade...

From what i read here already it seems possible, but i want to be sure before i do something...

cheers!

Guest soundsk

Ok,

Been reading this section all morning, and I think I'm beginning to get how things work. Just a couple of doubts:

- If I root my phone - to install titanium backup, or easy freezy, will a factory reset also "unroot" it?

- My phone info is the following: LG-P990-v10b, android 2.2.2, baseband 1035.21_20110218, kernel version 2.6.32.9-dirty, build FRG83G.

To go from this to MCR Fr15 do I need to install a new baseband or just CMW and new ROM?

What I would like to do is: Reset to factory through stock recovery - set up the phone from scratch, then backup this clean install with CMW. Then wipe and install Fr15...

Thanks... Now off to get my ADFree membership, MoDacO and Paul really deserve support for the excellent work...

Guest goatee

I'm new to the 2X (though previously rooted, and installed custom ROMs on HTC Hero, and ZTE Blade).

A factory reset will not unroot it, for that you need to install a stock ROM (e.g. check the nvflash sticky), but that won't wipe over Clockworkmod - for that you need to restore the stock recovery image (see http://android.modaco.com/content/lg-optim...ecovery-image/).

I don't think you need to upgrade the baseband to install FR15.

Enjoy :mellow:.

P.s. I found the easiest way to install Clockwork was to root with Super 1 Click, and then use ROM Manager.

Ok,

Been reading this section all morning, and I think I'm beginning to get how things work. Just a couple of doubts:

- If I root my phone - to install titanium backup, or easy freezy, will a factory reset also "unroot" it?

- My phone info is the following: LG-P990-v10b, android 2.2.2, baseband 1035.21_20110218, kernel version 2.6.32.9-dirty, build FRG83G.

To go from this to MCR Fr15 do I need to install a new baseband or just CMW and new ROM?

What I would like to do is: Reset to factory through stock recovery - set up the phone from scratch, then backup this clean install with CMW. Then wipe and install Fr15...

Thanks... Now off to get my ADFree membership, MoDacO and Paul really deserve support for the excellent work...

Edited by goatee

Guest soundsk

Yay! Already got AdFree Member! Now just need to get Paul's apps to support him.

Thank you for your help so far. I have read so many threads everything is getting fuzzy in my head... So, to clear things up (pardon my thickness):

What I gathered so far:

To root - Super One Click from shortfuse.org

Installing CMW is possible by three methods:

- Paul's version through his app 2X Recovery Boot which needs root.

- Paul's version through USB - doesn't need root.

- ROM Manager which also needs root (CMW is newer version).

To go back to STOCK Recovery (uninstalling CMW), use CMW to flash this package. (This post should be sticky :mellow: )

If you flash a recent ROM, filesystems will become EXT4, so to restore an "old" backup one must revert them back to EXT3 using this.

NvFlash is used for "disaster recovery", it is a low-level flash tool and there is a STOCK ROM available for use with it. This does not require you to use the Revert-to-EXT3 method, and it doesn't flash STOCK Recovery.

SmartFlash is for flashing new basebands aka radio "drivers" and such.

Now a couple of things I'm still not sure about:

To install CMW through USB is ADB necessary? I only have LG drivers installed.

If I install CMW through USB, make a backup of it unrooted as it is, and then root it, if I restore the "unrooted backup" later, will it be unrooted? If not, will Super One Click be able to unroot it, or is really flashing a stock ROM the only way to unroot it?

When the official LG gingerbread update comes out, will i need to be running a stock ROM to be "elligible" ie for it to show up in Software update? or can I be running an MCR?

A couple of unrelated questions:

When I go to Settings->About Phone->Software update-> Software update check, I get an error saying "Connection failed caused by authentication error". What is this? Can I fix it?

How do you feel about the power button? It seems fragile to me, like it might not last very long seeing as it must be pressed every time i need to use the phone.

I've tried WidgetLock, which is supposed to be able to wake up by pressing any key, ie volume keys, but it works only sometimes, it's very hit-and-miss. PocketSensor could also fit the bill, but it also stops working after a while. And I've wasted good money on two apps that don't really work on the phone...

Cheers, and again, pardon my thickness...

Guest soundsk

OK, update:

Installed ADB and played around a bit. Then installed Paul's CMW with dd (read the contents of his install batch file). But, before installing CMW, i made an image of the stock recovery partition - i know Paul made one available, but I wanted to try it anyway.

After installing CMW just rebooted into it without any issue and made a backup of my stock system as it is.

Then I installed Paul's dexopt fix, not the performance pack. System is clocking 2458 in Quadrant, not a big improvement.

Now if I restore my backup, the fix will be gone, correct? If not, how can i remove it? The same question goes for rooting...

I'd like to try fr15, if i flash it and then need to go back to stock all i need to do is use back-to-ext3, cmw restore my original backup and then restore original stock recovery?

And i bought 2x recovery boot but still haven't rooted the phone, it was mostly to support Paul's work...

Cheers!

Guest goatee

That's right, if you restore your backup, the fix is gone. For the other stuff, you should be ok, just work out how you want to play it - there are a few ways of doing it.

OK, update:

Installed ADB and played around a bit. Then installed Paul's CMW with dd (read the contents of his install batch file). But, before installing CMW, i made an image of the stock recovery partition - i know Paul made one available, but I wanted to try it anyway.

After installing CMW just rebooted into it without any issue and made a backup of my stock system as it is.

Then I installed Paul's dexopt fix, not the performance pack. System is clocking 2458 in Quadrant, not a big improvement.

Now if I restore my backup, the fix will be gone, correct? If not, how can i remove it? The same question goes for rooting...

I'd like to try fr15, if i flash it and then need to go back to stock all i need to do is use back-to-ext3, cmw restore my original backup and then restore original stock recovery?

And i bought 2x recovery boot but still haven't rooted the phone, it was mostly to support Paul's work...

Cheers!