Gen1 vs Gen2 => FIGHT!

Guest Rotmann

Guest shmizan

ok so regarding 850 MHz band support: I'm pretty sure there isn't.

I'm from Israel and my operator is Pelephone.

Pelephone doesn't have a 2G network and only uses 3G. it also uses 850 MHz band, together with 900/2100.

outdoors I have good reception (900/2100 MHz), but inside my turned-to-gym emergency shelter (concrete) I don't have reception at all, while I used to have with my previous Nokia 850 MHz supported phone.

since 2G isn't available in my operator, when 900/2100 MHz band isn't available, I get no reception there (shelter) and little reception in closed spaces and elevators.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kecske
Hello mates. Just thought I'd make an objective comparison between a Gen1 and a Gen2 Blade as the actual advantages and disadvantages are not clear, some people say Gen2 is better, some say it's worse and the most say it's the same. In the left corner we have my wife's Gen1 white LCD San Francisco, in the right corner my Gen2 OLED San Francisco, both running CM7. My wife's runs RC4 and has the notification bar at the top, mine runs 7.0.2 and has the notification bar at the bottom. The tests have been done in the o2 Germany network in a city where HSPA (HSDPA 7,2 Mbps + HSUPA 5,76 Mbps) is available, at 5:00 in the morning so that the network capacity is pretty free. o2 Germany operates mainly in frequencies of 1800 MHz in 2G and 2100 MHz for 3G, as it is in our case. Let's get ready to rumbleee :o

Round 1: 3G/HSDPA signal strength

Tested inside and outside, no difference here, values between -93 dbm 10 ASU and -103 dbm 5 ASU. Result of the first round: Gen1 1 Point | Gen2 1 Point

img_20110502_042728pun0.jpg img_20110502_0433098nyk.jpg

Round 2: 2G/GPRS signal strength

Tested inside and outside, no difference here, values between -83 dbm 15 ASU and -99 dbm 7 ASU. Result of the second round: Gen1 2 Points | Gen2 2 Points

img_20110502_043926enjq.jpg img_20110502_045002rnc5.jpg

Round 3: HSUPA

Tested at full signal strength, no difference again :D Upload did not get better than the theoretically possible 384 kbps, tested 5 times on each phone on 2-3 servers around the location. Ignore the download speeds, they varied on both phones between 1,5 and 2,5 Mbps, the other ones were blurry, I have chosen the best quality and not the best download speed as they varied and were just about the same. I could not take pictures of both at the same time as my wife does not have a data plan, had to change the SIM between the phones, it does not make any difference. Result of the third round: Gen1 3 Points | Gen2 3 Points

Gen1 => img_20110502_050556tuin.jpg Gen2 => img_20110502_045940zn03.jpg

Proof that there is HSDPA and HSUPA in the zone on my new baby, nexus one :D (got it very cheap from a relative for 160€ or else I wouldn't have bought it, Blade is on sale now and will bring more money than the n1 costed because it's a rare OLED :( Tears my heart apart to sell my trusty Blade, brilliant phone, just love it, but I need adobe flash sometimes for the university, dammit!) => img_20110502_051707vumi.jpg

Conclusion:

Some will say that there should be a forth round with the 850 MHz band. Sorry, can't travel to Canada or Australia or another non-european country where I can test. But someone on the forum (can't remember the name, sorry) was in Canada on 850MHz and it did not work. Also no one confirmed that this band works, untill there is any proof, I can't suppose it works.

Regarding HSUPA, some users reported it works. I have two theories for this: either HSUPA works only on 900MHz 3G Networks which are available in some countries (afaik not in Germany) or people don't really know what HSUPA means (I've seen some people on the forum saying they have HSUPA because they have an H on the notification bar :D ). If you have HSUPA post a picture or screen shot of a Speedtest.net test with an upload speed over 0,4 Mbps, as seen in my last picture and opposite to some people saying the app does not give you HSUPA speeds, it really works. Changing to another server and trying at hours where most people are sleeping helps too.

The fact that Gen2 does not bring any practical difference left a mixed feeling in my mind. So many efforts, changes and discussions... what for? Sure, native Gen2 owners are happy about it, but they are very few. And thanks to the genius of wbaw Gen2 is not so scary as it was. But still, what do you think about it? Do not flame and post crap as it was the case with older Gen1 vs Gen2 discussions be objective and talk facts!

what rom you use to set the battery icon and the other to bottom lane?

Guest pinkstuff

Nah its all a farce man - - i have changed back to Gen 1 this is my third time now and i wont go back to gen 2 - - There is no difference at all - Maybe if you want to keep up with new roms but thats about it - i shall settle with GEN1 have a coke and a smile good night..

Guest ThrashMan
Nah its all a farce man - - i have changed back to Gen 1 this is my third time now and i wont go back to gen 2 - - There is no difference at all - Maybe if you want to keep up with new roms but thats about it - i shall settle with GEN1 have a coke and a smile good night..

lol if there's no difference why go back and use outdated ROMs?

Guest Amphoras
what rom you use to set the battery icon and the other to bottom lane?

Thats one of the options in CM7, not sure if you can get it in other roms as well.

• 9 months later...
Guest wakeup12

Hello,

I have also posted the same question to another topic, I hope it is no problem because I did not get reply:

I got my OSF and rooted (using these instructions) after 1 day (Now it is Gen2 and Running Gingerbread). Now, I realized that there is a hiss coming speaker and headset after sound use (after a music, video is played or app which uses a sound is closed). The hiss remains for 3-4 secs and stops with a click sound. I really didnt like that.

I wonder if the older Gen1 users have the same issue. Actually it is not very noticeable if the volume is down, but I dont understand the reason for this.

Thank you for your replies,

Guest jventura

Hello,

I have also posted the same question to another topic, I hope it is no problem because I did not get reply:

I got my OSF and rooted (using these instructions) after 1 day (Now it is Gen2 and Running Gingerbread). Now, I realized that there is a hiss coming speaker and headset after sound use (after a music, video is played or app which uses a sound is closed). The hiss remains for 3-4 secs and stops with a click sound. I really didnt like that.

I wonder if the older Gen1 users have the same issue. Actually it is not very noticeable if the volume is down, but I dont understand the reason for this.

Thank you for your replies,

Don't remember how it was when was Gen1, but my Blade also does that in every ROM.. It is normal, I think!