Chromium OS

Guest owenoliver1

Guest add.thebad

I dont think their should be any reason why not. chromium is opensource so i suppose you could build for it

Guest Vansphone

I put Chrome OS on a USB stick and booted an old laptop to Chrome just to see what it is like. Personally I think it will take a little getting use too but the concept is very interesting.

I assume the Vega will not boot from a USB stick? I stuck the Chrome USB stick in the Vega and booted, predictably, nothing happened.

Guest Reffy
I put Chrome OS on a USB stick and booted an old laptop to Chrome just to see what it is like. Personally I think it will take a little getting use too but the concept is very interesting.

I assume the Vega will not boot from a USB stick? I stuck the Chrome USB stick in the Vega and booted, predictably, nothing happened.

It needs to be compiled for ARM to function. It's possible but will likely require a lot of work to get it working. Also, I'm not sure how well graphics would work.

Guest owenoliver1

Nope wont run from the usb stick which sucks

Would need to be compiled for nvflashing

The reason it wouldnt work is becuase we got arm thats for x86 thats all

Edited by owenoliver1

Guest Zebrahead
It needs to be compiled for ARM to function. It's possible but will likely require a lot of work to get it working. Also, I'm not sure how well graphics would work.

Yes it needs to be compiled for ARM, but trimslice in OP uses tegra2. So it is compiled for arm.

Quote :

"Trim-Slice is the first desktop computer powered by NVIDIA Tegra 2.

It is a miniature fanless dual-core ARM Cortex A9 computer that provides outstanding multimedia experience."

Nope wont run from the usb stick which sucks

Would need to be compiled for nvflashing

The reason it wouldnt work is becuase we got arm thats for x86 thats all

It should be possible to boot to a USB stick (if not usb, then definitely microSD), in the same way you can have a ubuntu FS on your SD card and boot to it. It's just a case of specifying where you're booting to.

Zeb

Edited by Zebrahead

Guest Vansphone
It should be possible to boot to a USB stick (if not usb, then definitely microSD), in the same way you can have a ubuntu FS on your SD card and boot to it. It's just a case of specifying where you're booting to.

Zeb

I didn't know it was possible to boot a Vega from a USB card. In general terms how would you instruct the Vega to boot from the SD card. Would it be possible to make a Vega dual boot?

Guest Zebrahead
I didn't know it was possible to boot a Vega from a USB card. In general terms how would you instruct the Vega to boot from the SD card. Would it be possible to make a Vega dual boot?

Well it's not strictly dual booting.

What has been done with linux ports is to extract the linux fs to the memory stick, then create a new boot image which boots to that memory stick partition.

It is dual boot in the sense that I can flash my linux boot image, reboot, and run linux; flash my android image, reboot, and run android.

If you look for linux projects, you'll find some more information about it.

If you wanted a ROM on your SD card, this would probably be a fair bit more difficult, you'd have to partition it just right etc, but none the less, I SUPPOSE (big suppose), it COULD (in theory) be done (although I wouldn't recommend it, it's just as easy to boot to clockwork and flash).

Zeb

Guest newbe5

I remember speaking to Hexxeh a while back and I'm sure he had ChromeOS booted and working on the Vega, but I'm not sure he ever released it? Might be worth asking him no Twitter.

newbe5

Edited by newbe5

Guest phil8715
I remember speaking to Higgsy a while back and I'm sure he had ChromeOS booted and working on the Vega, but I'm not sure he ever released it? Might be worth asking him no Twitter.

newbe5

I've never been a fan of Linux but I have used Ubunto, Debian and Jolicloud. I would love to see Jolicloud on the Vega, i've had it on an Eee Pc 701SD and it worked flawlessly.

Guest beepo666
I've never been a fan of Linux but I have used Ubunto, Debian and Jolicloud. I would love to see Jolicloud on the Vega, i've had it on an Eee Pc 701SD and it worked flawlessly.

I've never been a fan of computers with operating systems but I've used ZX81,C64.... XP, iOS, android....

Ignore me I'm drunk :-P (Seriously, I just re-read it and I agree it's not hilarious but I won't delete it so I can cringe tomorrow :-P)

In more sober terms, I'd love to see anything you can all get running on this device. Loving everything so far...

Edited by beepo666

Guest Reffy
Yes it needs to be compiled for ARM, but trimslice in OP uses tegra2. So it is compiled for arm.

Quote :

"Trim-Slice is the first desktop computer powered by NVIDIA Tegra 2.

It is a miniature fanless dual-core ARM Cortex A9 computer that provides outstanding multimedia experience."

Zeb

It was mostly referring to the person that tried booting it above my post. Sorry for that, was rushing in college.

I would attempt to compile the source and get it run if it wasn't for the lack of a Vega (will be getting it in July). I do suggest someone try it, it has a slight chance of being successful if they know what they're doing. Not reading too much into it, really. Would love the option but still wouldn't use it.

Guest Hexxeh

I bought a Vega just to do this. I have builds that will run on the Vega, but they're missing graphical acceleration.

TrimSlice have access to private nVidia files we don't, and so they can get it running easily. I could fix the HW accel easily with those files.

If TrimSlice will share (hint: they won't, they can't), we could get it rocking on the Vega too.

Guest owenoliver1
I bought a Vega just to do this. I have builds that will run on the Vega, but they're missing graphical acceleration.

TrimSlice have access to private nVidia files we don't, and so they can get it running easily. I could fix the HW accel easily with those files.

If TrimSlice will share (hint: they won't, they can't), we could get it rocking on the Vega too.

Jesus christ seriously that's awesome im sure if you asked nicely you could kang it from the 3.0 rom they got Hardware acceleration going in 1 day but no wifi can't be to hard i sohuldn't think but isn't it device sepcific?

Guest owenoliver1

Hexxeh just wondering is there any way you could relase the file as it is so maybe someone else could have a play aka corvus and newbe5 who have done loads of other stuff between the three of you anything could happen and im sure once its here the ports will begin :unsure:

Guest Hexxeh
Hexxeh just wondering is there any way you could relase the file as it is so maybe someone else could have a play aka corvus and newbe5 who have done loads of other stuff between the three of you anything could happen and im sure once its here the ports will begin :unsure:

I've offered up access to my daily builds to any proven devs who are interested, none took me up on it.

There's not much that can be done until we have updated drivers.

Guest newbe5

Hexxeh, try speaking to HomerSp of TeamVillain. He got HW Acceleration working HoneyComb to use on our most recent builds.

newbe5

Guest owenoliver1
I've offered up access to my daily builds to any proven devs who are interested, none took me up on it.

There's not much that can be done until we have updated drivers.

im no proven dev but can you release it on here if not just to toy about with and maybe find a dev to do it for you theres a lot of people who are amazed by whats being done and im sure between here and irc we can get it going fast as hell :unsure:

btw how do you put it on the tablet nvflash or .zip?

and are you still making nighty's for the vega or have one old one?